Tyrone Willingham will not be retained

millbank

They were turned down ? I don't recall that. Please provide a link or info please. I know the Big East wanted ND, and the ACC was talking to them. ND has their own tv deal with NBC { read: independent, no need to share money with conference schools}.

I highly doubt Big-10 will turn ND away if they wanted to join next year.

139781[/snapback]

Someone will know the details, but he's speaking historically. Like ND was turned down in 1932 and still holds a grudge (edit...or perhaps I am totally off the mark).

They went through some tough times early in the last century. I saw a special about their relationship with Navy. Apparently ND was close to collapse when the Navy decided to use ND to train officers. They play Navy to this day in part because without them ND might no longer exist.

One of the historians please fill in the blanks.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The sad part of this is he inherited crap.  He has worked his backside off to bring in his type football player and will never see the fruits of his labor.  First time in ND history that thet the school has not let a coaches contract paly out. 

My bet is Butch Davis is named Wednesday, timing is everything.

139774[/snapback]

Its not the first time. Davie was fired mid-contract as well.

I think they would have let Ty have a fourth year if they didn't KNOW that they could grab a good coach now. After the last coach hiring debacle, I dont think they are going to mess around this time.

And hey I loved Ty. I defended him against roommates and friends here for 3 years. But this is the hardest job in football and he couldn't do it. He was dreadfully inconsistent, we lost 3 in a row to BC (twice at home), we have suffered some of the worst defeats in school history on his watch and we have lost by at least 21 points EIGHT times in his three years here. I would have been willing to give him a 4th year but when you get a chance to land someone like Urban Meyer or Butch Davis, I think you take it.

Ty was the same at Stanford -- inconsistent. There were some great years and some lousy ones. In 7 years at Stanford his record was 44-36-1, not exactly acceptable at Notre Dame.

I liked Ty personally. But his recruiting was also inconsistent. In one 2 year stretch he signed a total of 3 offensive linemen. How does that happen?

I'll be stunned if ND doesn't sign Urban Meyer. He'd be a great fit. I don't see Butch Davis at ND. I think that a better fall back person would be Hawkins -- even though I'd like to see him at Stanford.

is George O'Leary available?

I understand he has an impressive resume'

:doh:

139899[/snapback]

;):lol:

That's pretty funny. Actually, he just helped the University of Central Florida to an impressive 0-11 record for this year. He gutted the whole program and started from scratch which is or isn't always a good idea but from this past season's record, it's not looking good.

Just a side note on who Notre Dame might be looking at as the next head coach. I wouldn't be surprised to see them pursue Bob Stoops or Nick Saban for that position with truckloads of cash. IMO, I don't see them going after Meyer and I think the firing of Willingham and Davis back to back is just a coincidence. I could be wrong but ND has much to much invested in their program to go after someone like Meyer and Davis basically rode coat tails, IMO, leading Miami.

No!!!!!!

Ah well, it was bound to happen sooner or later. Urban has an out clause in his contract for ND and it's the place he really wants to coach more than any other.

The guy did an incredible job with our Utes this year. We'll miss him.

They wanted to join the Big 10 EXCEPT for football.

Big 10 told them f-you (and rightfully so).

139783[/snapback]

Before the most recent flirtation. I'm talking back in the '20s. Read the following books for info. on how Michigan and others in the Big Ten kept Notre Dame out of the conference.

Natural Enemies

Shake Down the Thunder

Its not the first time. Davie was fired mid-contract as well.

I think they would have let Ty have a fourth year if they didn't KNOW that they could grab a good coach now. After the last coach hiring debacle, I dont think they are going to mess around this time.

And hey I loved Ty. I defended him against roommates and friends here for 3 years. But this is the hardest job in football and he couldn't do it. He was dreadfully inconsistent, we lost 3 in a row to BC (twice at home), we have suffered some of the worst defeats in school history on his watch and we have lost by at least 21 points EIGHT times in his three years here. I would have been willing to give him a 4th year but when you get a chance to land someone like Urban Meyer or Butch Davis, I think you take it.

139807[/snapback]

uhh. No... I am sure that Davie got his full five years as did Faust. I will however, concede, it's the times as well as the timing. This is the season when quality coaches leave the program they built at smaller schools to get that top flight school. Sad, very sad....there ought to be rule.....I'm all for moving up but someone needs to say I'm happy to take that job but I'm gonna coach my kids in the game we all worked so hard to get to, that auguably got me this new gig. I'll be in my new office the morning after I coach my last game at teh old school.

I'd have to look it up in "Shake Down the Thunder" but ND tried to join the Big 10 for about 60 years and kept getting shot down so they finally said screw it. Worked out well for them I'd say as far as having their own TV contract and the exposure they do get. They did join the Big East in everything but Football.

Two reasons ND hasn't won a National Championship in 16 years.

1. Recruting. The top high school players nowadays just go to college to play football and get ready for the NFL Draft At ND you have to attend classes (all of them, not just the creampuffs) and maintain a certain GPA as well as spend a huge amount of time on football.

2. ND has the toughest schedule in College FB every year. If they don't get the best recruits and still play a very tough schedule, they can't finish in the Top 8 and get a BCS Bowl bid. I have heard they will play a bit of an easier schedule and add a home game. That will help.

Ty Willingham is a good guy no question. Too inconsistent as a coach though. ND should have finished at least 8-3 this year. Coaching cost them a couple wins. Urban Meyer will be the new ND coach unless he hits a strip club or something.

uhh. No... I am sure that Davie got his full five years as did Faust.

140021[/snapback]

Re Davie:

Yes and no. He did get 5 years, but he was in the middle of his contract and was fired. He got a 5 year extension during his original contract and then was fired in the middle of that. So in essence, yes, he did get to coach out the length of his original contract. BUT he was fired while he still was under contract.

Poor Move IMHO. To me Ty has always been a very good coach and has his players playing above their talent level. The recruiting issues are alot bigger than the head coach alone. Hope he lands on his feet quickly....

139839[/snapback]

Meyer is a lock for the ND job - his dream job - and Willingham will go to Washington.......Florida screwed up not offering Spurrier the Gator job - they thought Meyer would be a lock since the Prez is former BYU..... Now the ole ballcoach is at SC and Florida has to scramble.....Davis - Hawkins - Petrino ??? Stoops is a long shot.....but he could be blowing smoke about staying at OK

Call him now and offer him a job, i don't care what he does, make up something like they did for Modrak. Just get him in here. He made 2 bowls with a garbage roster. ND's problems go far beyond the coach, he got every OUNCE out of his players. They went 6-5 this year and beat 3 bowl teams, Michigan, Tennessee, and Navy.

BTW, I suggested Ty Willingham last year as the Bills HC and was severely chastized because "ND will never let him go" riiiight....

Meyer is a lock for the ND job - his dream job - and Willingham will go to Washington.......Florida screwed up not offering Spurrier the Gator job - they thought Meyer would be a lock since the Prez is former BYU..... Now the ole ballcoach is at SC and Florida has to scramble.....Davis - Hawkins - Petrino ??? Stoops is a long shot.....but he could be blowing smoke about staying at OK

140100[/snapback]

Meyer's never actually recruited his own team. He took over someone elses team at Bowling Green, same at Utah. He really has no track record as a recruiter and if he goes to UF it'll be Zook's team which is decent. If he goes to ND he inherits a bad team with serious recruiting problems. Petrino'd be a decent fit at UF, he built a strong team at Louisville and got a good number of solid recruits on his own. Butch Davis would e good too. Lots of cred in Fla. from the Canes days, he was an OUTSTANDING recruiter...he built that dynasty that Larry Coker took over.

!@#$ Notre Dame until they join a conference. When they are in a conference it may finally wake the NCAA, dickless wonders that they are, to institute a playoff system.

139710[/snapback]

The NCAA has nothing to do with the BCS and is not responsible for you not having your playoff system in Division I college football. Get your facts straight Gavin. Presidents and commissioners have total control of it.

On another note, don't be surprised if you hear John Gruden's name come up with regards to the Notre Dame job.

Meyer's never actually recruited his own team.  He took over someone elses team at Bowling Green, same at Utah.  He really has no track record as a recruiter and if he goes to UF it'll be Zook's team which is decent.  If he goes to ND he inherits a bad team with serious recruiting problems.  Petrino'd be a decent fit at UF, he built a strong team at Louisville and got a good number of solid recruits on his own.  Butch Davis would e good too.  Lots of cred in Fla. from the Canes days, he was an OUTSTANDING recruiter...he built that dynasty that Larry Coker took over.

140115[/snapback]

You can also say that Meyer then did a lot with players that a previous coach could not do.

Bowling Green 2000: 2-9

Meyer:

Bowling Green 2001: 8-3

2002: 9-3

Utah 3 years before Meyer: 4-7, 8-4, 5-6

With Meyer: 10-2, 11-0

IF the problem at ND is talent (which some suggest) then perhaps Meyer can do something with it.

Either way...there are plenty of options. I would love to see Urban here though

Sadly, Notre Dame's time as a college grid power has come and gone, a la Penn State (and now, Nebraska).  They can't get the blue-chippers anymore.

139760[/snapback]

i disagree greg...it wasn't very long ago when you could have said the same thing about lsu, usc, and oklahoma to name a few....it is all about finding the right coach to come in and catch lightning in a bottle...if they find a coach with the charisma and touch to make good players better, then the studs will FLOCK to notre dame once again.

i have always rooted against ND so i hope it doesn't happen, but as a guy who has always rooted FOR both lsu and usc...and long since given them up for dead before saban and carrol came aboard, i am telling you that program is 1 good coach and about 3 seasons from a national championship. this is NOTRE DAME we're talking about.

and ps...you can say the same thing about penn st....and i love to see them lose too.