WECK 1230 AM not doing an announcer draft right now

Nick,

Do you guys have a smart phone application for out of towners?

Thanks.

Do you have an iphone? I downloaded an awesome app from the itunes store called, ootunes. I can get any radio station that livestreams, including WGR and Weck.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PS And, actually I would have to say it's not the callers or the hosts that are the reason for the show, but the listeners. And, as a listener, I really don't care what Joe from Cheektowaga thinks because I don't know who Joe is.

The callers to that show were a lot more knowlegeable & interesting than what 'GR gets today...which is anybody with a pulse, since beggers can't be choosers (not unlike TSW in the late-1990s vs. today). Throw in about 3 segments a night with national guests arranged by an actual, honest to God PRODUCER, and you get quality entertainment beyond just MNQB, and not just in the SB years.

That kind of programming costs money, however, which is the last thing national media conglomerates want to spend today. After all, "research" shows that people will listen to anything, so why spend more for quality...

If you say so. I regard him as a jackass who never played sports and certainly knows nothing about football. I listen to be be better informed about sports; it's supposed to be a sports station, not a gossip show telling us what his little kid or dog did yesterday.

Jackass, huh? Nice.

You're entitled to your opinion of his work, but Howard Simon is one of the nicest and most generous people I've ever met.

The callers to that show were a lot more knowlegeable & interesting than what 'GR gets today...which is anybody with a pulse, since beggers can't be choosers (not unlike TSW in the late-1990s vs. today). Throw in about 3 segments a night with national guests arranged by an actual, honest to God PRODUCER, and you get quality entertainment beyond just MNQB, and not just in the SB years.

That kind of programming costs money, however, which is the last thing national media conglomerates want to spend today. After all, "research" shows that people will listen to anything, so why spend more for quality...

You're right about the quality of callers. There's no doubt it was a quality show, and maybe if that was all the sports radio in the market still - 3-4 hours a night vs. 24 hours a day - it could still be worth listening to.

That station needs

1. A new program director

2. New morning and afternoon hosts

3. A football reporter

Then it might be decent.

I disagree, I like the morning crew, until Hose starts yelling....not necessary. As for Schopp, well I just flat out dont get how an angry, combative, non-homer is actually on that station.

Doesnt make sense.

Notice in all the stupid drafts they never did a BUFFALO SPORTS FIGURE draft?

I mean, at least talk all-time Buffalo SPORTS players! Open it up to NFL,NHL, NBA (Braves), even minor league BB....

I would rather hear then talk about where Ryan Miller and Chris Drury rate on their all-time draft boards vs Thurman, Bruce, etc. than which actor is funnier or which country is better...

Good lord! They call themselves a SPORTS STATION?

You want drafts? Do an ALL-TIME Buffalo Bills draft. Or Sabres. Or Buffalo sports in general.

or even an all-time NFL draft. Or a CURRENT NFL player draft. Do their fantasy team draft on the air LIVE.

TALK ABOUT SPORTS and the concept of their little drafts actually becomes fun and worth listening to.

It's like these guys on WGR are boasting about being bored with sports. Then QUIT and I'll do your job.

I mean, at least talk all-time Buffalo SPORTS players! Open it up to NFL,NHL, NBA (Braves), even minor league BB....

I would rather hear then talk about where Ryan Miller and Chris Drury rate on their all-time draft boards vs Thurman, Bruce, etc. than which actor is funnier or which country is better...

You want drafts? Do an ALL-TIME Buffalo Bills draft. Or Sabres. Or Buffalo sports in general.

or even an all-time NFL draft. Or a CURRENT NFL player draft. Do their fantasy team draft on the air LIVE.

TALK ABOUT SPORTS and the concept of their little drafts actually becomes fun and worth listening to.

It's like these guys on WGR are boasting about being bored with sports. Then QUIT and I'll do your job.

First Class Rant. Amen.

Jackass, huh? Nice.

You're entitled to your opinion of his work, but Howard Simon is one of the nicest and most generous people I've ever met.

I wouldn't call Simon a jackass, but he isn't anywhere near what he used to be when he was

at Empire Sports Network. He was informative, funny, knowledgeable and carried himself

very well. Now on the morning show, and it's not entirely his fault, he has become the opposite

of what he was. Now he sounds as if he doesn't know what he is talking about and provides very

little actual information. Simon and White are just set up to have opposite opinions about whatever

the BS topic of the day is to provide "stimulating" conversation...basically nothing to say about nothing.

I'm sure he's a nice guy and it's not entirely his fault, just as Bulldog used to be very good prior to WGR,

it's the stations business model. As for Schopp, he is a jackass.

I wouldn't call Simon a jackass, but he isn't anywhere near what he used to be when he was

at Empire Sports Network. He was informative, funny, knowledgeable and carried himself

very well. Now on the morning show, and it's not entirely his fault, he has become the opposite

of what he was. Now he sounds as if he doesn't know what he is talking about and provides very

little actual information. Simon and White are just set up to have opposite opinions about whatever

the BS topic of the day is to provide "stimulating" conversation...basically nothing to say about nothing.

I'm sure he's a nice guy and it's not entirely his fault, just as Bulldog used to be very good prior to WGR,

it's the stations business model. As for Schopp, he is a jackass.

I have heard very little of Howard in the AM on WGR, but from what I heard, I have to agree. IMO he was sensational on the FM sports station years back. Dealt with substance and let his callers talk.

As you rightly note, sports radio has devolved into being "controversy" centered (the quotes used as much of that controversy is manufactured by those who cover it), Name calling, pomposity, yelling seem to be requirements for today's sports radio hosts. I imagine Simon is still a step above most of the WGR guys, but they probably don't let him run the show as he would like. I'm guessing of course.

I am listening WECK's friday show online - pretty good so far. i am more than happy to start listening to those guys rather than the garbage on WGR. an announcer draft on the first day of the bills minicamp. i don't know how they can call themselves a sports show.

They did an all time sports figure during the NCAA's.

Funny, IMO the best sports talk radio in Buffalo history (One-on-One Sports) had this quaint philosophy that the callers were the reason for the show, not the hosts. I guess that page got ripped out of the 'format consultant's' playbook a few years back...

I listen to WGR quite often, and the second they start taking calls I immediately change the channel. I find the callers rarely offer anything to the discussion, are often uninformed and are always annoying.

They did an all time sports figure during the NCAA's.

But that was brackets and it was mostly done on their website....

I mean, if they HAVE to do drafts so Schopp can "collect" things, why not do a DRAFT with all-time Buffalo sports figures, or even Sabres once then Bills once (get a couple drafts out of the idea)?

But that was brackets and it was mostly done on their website....

I mean, if they HAVE to do drafts so Schopp can "collect" things, why not do a DRAFT with all-time Buffalo sports figures, or even Sabres once then Bills once (get a couple drafts out of the idea)?

It was the same concept - what's the difference if it's in draft formula or brackets?.......And, I like the 4 regionals they had.......although I do have to agree that if they had set a time to do it, like they do with the drafts, then you'd be able to hear the whole thing.....I don't know how much was on the air vs. the website since obviously I can't listen all the time.

I listen to WGR quite often, and the second they start taking calls I immediately change the channel. I find the callers rarely offer anything to the discussion, are often uninformed and are always annoying.

Birds of a feather...