The concussions made HIM do it

They are just looking for any excuse to save his image now aren't they:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...-head-injuries/

There are documented accounts of severe head injuries that have led to drastic personality changes, this one, IMO, is not one of them.

(I'm going by memory) I seem to recall being taught in a psychology course that there was some dude back in the 1800's who's job it was to tamp down explosives while working the for the railroad. One day as he tamped down on the charge it went off and rammed the tamping rod into his skull and brain.

After that the guy miraculously survived but his former jovial personality was replaced with a very dark and angry one. The belief is that he may have damaged areas of the brain that controlled his darker side. I always thought it was probably just because he got pissed off when people started laughing and pointing while he ran around screaming with a pole lodged in his head. JMO

Jarts anyone?

I guess the interesting question would be, was he a total douche before his motorcycle accident?

If you had a host of people lining up to say "BR was the nicest, most courteous person I've ever met and that changed after his wreck" I'd say there could be some merit to the notion that he suffered some amount of brain damage which caused a personality change.

I do remember that after the Kellen Winslow motorcycle accident, Roethlisberger proudly announced to the world that he didn't care, and he was going to keep riding his bike without a helmet no matter what - with the obvious and ironic consequences. So he's never been the smartest SOB, anyway.

In all fairness, the thread title should be, "The concussions made HIM do it". I didn't read anywhere that he himself believes this or suggested it.

Why should anyone let something so trivial stop the crusade?

"I didn't know you like fat chicks"--Ben Rapelisberger

It doesn't take multiple head injuries for that to be said, the guy is a Douche bag, plain and simple.

"He once asked out a married woman in front of her husband"-- again, this is not because of brain trauma, BR is simply a jerk, and thinks he can get any woman he wants.

There are documented accounts of severe head injuries that have led to drastic personality changes, this one, IMO, is not one of them.

(I'm going by memory) I seem to recall being taught in a psychology course that there was some dude back in the 1800's who's job it was to tamp down explosives while working the for the railroad. One day as he tamped down on the charge it went off and rammed the tamping rod into his skull and brain.

After that the guy miraculously survived but his former jovial personality was replaced with a very dark and angry one. The belief is that he may have damaged areas of the brain that controlled his darker side. I always thought it was probably just because he got pissed off when people started laughing and pointing while he ran around screaming with a pole lodged in his head. JMO

Jarts anyone?

Phineas Gage

Jarts anyone?

The fellow's name was Phineas Gage - it happened on 9/13/1848. There are several pages about the incident and fate of him in The Brain, by Richard M. Restak, Bantam Books 10/84, ISBN 0-553-05047-8.

The book is based on an 8 part PBS series. Which is where I learned of it. I purchased it - an excellent text.

The fellow's name was Phineas Gage - it happened on 9/13/1848. There are several pages about the incident and fate of him in The Brain, by Richard M. Restak, Bantam Books 10/84, ISBN 0-553-05047-8.

The book is based on an 8 part PBS series. Which is where I learned of it. I purchased it - an excellent text.

I saw that. Excellent series. To Phineas' credit, he didn't hit on married women in front of their husbands and rape

co-eds in nightclub bathrooms. Phineas had a spike in his head - Ben has his head up his a**.

I saw that. Excellent series. To Phineas' credit, he didn't hit on married women in front of their husbands and rape

co-eds in nightclub bathrooms. Phineas had a spike in his head - Ben has his head up his a**.

According to the book, the rail company refused to give him re-employment, and he ended up as a freak in a PT Barnum side show. He died roughly 12 years after the tragedy, but provided valuable insight about personality changes and causes.

A quote: "His injury and the effects it had on his personality provided the first clear indication of the delicate physical balance within the brain between thought and emotion."

I would think that the book is long out of print. If you happen to spot a copy at a used book shop, snap it up.

I guess the interesting question would be, was he a total douche before his motorcycle accident?

If you had a host of people lining up to say "BR was the nicest, most courteous person I've ever met and that changed after his wreck" I'd say there could be some merit to the notion that he suffered some amount of brain damage which caused a personality change.

Based on stories from Miami ... nope, no personality change. One female classmate said that he took her cellphone, put it in the front pocket of his shorts, and told her to come get it. Those wild and crazy college kids, eh?

Difference is, he's not in college anymore, and he's eight years older than the sorority girls he was buying shots for. Whatever did (or didn't) happen in Georgia, he needs to stop acting like a frat brat, IMO.

Phineas Gage

Thanks! :doh:

ahhhhh, so that's what led to your name changes

After I go out of my way every day to be nice to you, you, you treat me like this!!! :wallbash:

phineas gage got his frontal lobe, the part of you brain that affects speech, impaled if im not mistaken. damage to your frontal lobe causes a weird thing where people curse all the time and act crazy. could be wrong, im not smart

The title should say EXCUSES FOR ACTING LIKE A TOTAL DOUCHE BAG..

Why do you call this rapist only a douche bag? A docuhe bag is just an idiot. Ben is a rapist that acts in a premeditated manner. He deserves 5 to 10 years in jail or 5 to 10 years as Bills QB.