I'm looking to upgrade the drives... anyone want to chime in?

SDS

We currently have two 150GB 10k Raptor drives. One really just stores a nightly backup of the databases, etc... For the times that I need to turn off the "go to last read post" feature - it is because we are ultimately I/O bound and that feature writes the database on every *read* (beyond incrementing the views column), not just every write as one would expect. Because of this faster drives would help on super busy days...

I was thinking of four 15k SCSI's in 10 RAID configuration. This would help with drive crashes and database speed I believe. Does anyone else have a conflicting or supporting opinion?

Cost is about another $120/month I think - but perhaps it is well spent for data integrity and access speed.

We currently have two 150GB 10k Raptor drives. One really just stores a nightly backup of the databases, etc... For the times that I need to turn off the "go to last read post" feature - it is because we are ultimately I/O bound and that feature writes the database on every *read* (beyond incrementing the views column), not just every write as one would expect. Because of this faster drives would help on super busy days...

I was thinking of four 15k SCSI's in 10 RAID configuration. This would help with drive crashes and database speed I believe. Does anyone else have a conflicting or supporting opinion?

Cost is about another $120/month I think - but perhaps it is well spent for data integrity and access speed.

What advantages of 10 RAID provide? I'm kind of a novice, but I know that it has to do with redundency, efficiency, and concurrency (any or all or more)

My understanding is that RAID 0 is fastest, but no so safe.

RAID 1 is slow and RAID 5 is kind of slow, too.

RAID 1+0 (RAID 10) is both fast and safe, but the tradeoff is higher disk utilization.

More memory could maybe help, too. I don't know what kind of database you are running, so this may or may not apply, but with Oracle, for example, if you can give it a big enough chunk of memory, you can cache nearly your entire database in memory, thus improving your performance with disk I/O. Of course, it eventually must get written to disk, but that can happen with background processes and not impact real time performance.

RAID 1+0 (RAID 10) is both fast and safe, but the tradeoff is higher disk utilization.

thanks, I understand those points. I'm sort of looking for "experience" type feedback. :P

Oh... so does RAID 10 combine both data striping and redundency? And the tradeoff is the maintaince to keep the copies of disk in sync?

Oh... so does RAID 10 combine both data striping and redundency? And the tradeoff is the maintaince to keep the copies of disk in sync?

Yes, I believe so. It does mirroring for both redundancy and speed, so it takes up more of your disk space to store the same information.

thanks, I understand those points. I'm sort of looking for "experience" type feedback. :P

Raid 10 does great with databases, have been doing that for about 12 years now and dont spec anything else anymore (unless I may spec ramsan or nas).

Remember: more spindels = more performance (so if price wise it works out the same getting 6 smaller disks then get those).

From what I understand a RAID 10 outperforms a RAID 5 (the other viable option imho) at a fraction of the cost when it comes to read / write performance esp if you run a Lynux server.

You get the Fault Tolerance of a RAID 1 combined with the speed of a RAID 0. I don't see how you can't not run this config Scott.

SDS, not sure if you saw my post in the other thread about updating the wall, but I remember a long time ago seeing a thread about donating to help support TBD and TSW. Can we still help? I'm just poor folk but want to help support the cause!

SDS, not sure if you saw my post in the other thread about updating the wall, but I remember a long time ago seeing a thread about donating to help support TBD and TSW. Can we still help? I'm just poor folk but want to help support the cause!

Agreed, I want "Last Unread". I will chip in.

We run our database servers with three channel cards. 15k Hot-pluggable drives. 1st channel is for the OS -- it's at RAID 0. 2nd Channel is for Transaction Logs -- it's also at RAID 0. 3rd Channel is for the data and it's a RAID 5.

At a minimum you need the OS and Data on seperate channels. Keep in mind if you drop transaction logs, you are going to feel it regardless of which channel you drop to. Which is why we dedicate a channel to tlogs. We drop every hour. If you want to run the Data on a RAID 10 -- you absolutely can. We have never needed it. You will get a better performance increase from dedicating a hardware RAID channel to your data and setting it to a RAID 5 and stuffing as many disks as you can in the channel. RAID 5 performance increases significantly with each extra drive added.

Hardware RAID channel being the operative word. Software RAID has no place on a database server... any server for that matter.

We run our database servers with three channel cards. 15k Hot-pluggable drives. 1st channel is for the OS -- it's at RAID 0. 2nd Channel is for Transaction Logs -- it's also at RAID 0. 3rd Channel is for the data and it's a RAID 5.

At a minimum you need the OS and Data on seperate channels. Keep in mind if you drop transaction logs, you are going to feel it regardless of which channel you drop to. Which is why we dedicate a channel to tlogs. We drop every hour. If you want to run the Data on a RAID 10 -- you absolutely can. We have never needed it. You will get a better performance increase from dedicating a hardware RAID channel to your data and setting it to a RAID 5 and stuffing as many disks as you can in the channel. RAID 5 performance increases significantly with each extra drive added.

Hardware RAID channel being the operative word. Software RAID has no place on a database server... any server for that matter.

Well, let's not get goofy here. We're not running Amazon.com ya know. :thumbsup:

I'm willing to go to 4 small 15k SCSI disks. I do not know the details of the RAID controller, only that it costs more money!

Well, let's not get goofy here. We're not running Amazon.com ya know. :thumbsup:

I'm willing to go to 4 small 15k SCSI disks. I do not know the details of the RAID controller, only that it costs more money!

You are right it's all about load. I would still recommend splitting your OS and Data onto seperate RAID channels. That is sound advice regardless of load. It lays the ground work for growth and it significantly increases performance.

Is this site on a colocated server?