The Bills are saving me money

Every year I buy a jersey before the season. This year will be the exception. I don't see anyone on the roster worth buying a jersey for (yet). I'll wait until midseason to see who emerges (probably Spiller).

Right now, I'm even considering not buying NFL Sunday ticket this season. That would also be the first time in years. I hope they make me change my mind before the season.

Every year I buy a jersey before the season. This year will be the exception. I don't see anyone on the roster worth buying a jersey for (yet). I'll wait until midseason to see who emerges (probably Spiller).

Right now, I'm even considering not buying NFL Sunday ticket this season. That would also be the first time in years. I hope they make me change my mind before the season.

Does your love for the Bills vary with their won-lost record?

Remember, "fan" is short for "fanatic". Are you still a fan?

To paraphrase the Dos Equis guy, stay strong my friend.

How does spending money equate to being a fan or not? I'm a Bills fan. Have been since 1977 and always will be. Just because I stopped buying season tickets and will not buy any merchandise for the time being, does that make me any less of a fan? I would never cheer for another NFL team. I want the Bills to win. I'll still watch every game on TV. I'll still take a drive to watch them at camp. I'm just tired of spending MY money on a losing team. No longer a good return on my investment. The #51 throwback jersey is still good, the zubaz have a couple good years left, I'm down on the team like tons of people are. I'm sick of the losing year after year like tons of people are. Doesn't make someone any less of a fan if they choose not to spend money on an inferior product.

At what point can a fan say, "prove it" before making further commitment? I'll still watch the games, just this time from home. It'd be one thing if Buffalo hadn't been good in 2 or 3 years. Jumping off the wagon would be premature in that case. But we're going on 10 years since the last playoff season, haven't won a playoff game since the 95 season, and recorded one winning record since 2000.

This was a put-up or shut-up off-season, and so far it's leaning toward the latter. Besides, merely saying it's a rebuilding year ignores the patience that long term fans have demonstrated. I suppose the newbies don't mind, but they're the ones who didn't see the glory days and know what winning feels like. Before I put my trust into Nix/Gailey, they need to demonstrate they're not as bad as the last 3 GM's and HC's. The people that pick those guys hasn't changed either for the record.

I thought it was stay thirsty?

Now I'm thirsty. :doh:

I love my kegerator, it's always there for me.

My sister is going the same same route. No NFL Ticket with this team.

I don't buy Bills merchandise or NFL Sunday Ticket but it has nothing to do with the Bills performance or their won lost record. After my 2nd heart attack in 2007 at age 42 I can no longer work so I can not afford to do so. I have been a Bills fan all my life and was a season ticket holder for 15 years and now because of health and money issues I can no longer attend any games and I sure do miss it a lot. So I say if your a fan and enjoy it and can afford it go ahead and get the Bills stuff you want. Don't take things for granted you just never know what may happen I would love to have a new Bills jersey and have Sunday Ticket but I just can't.

I don't know...the idea of picking up a #21 "Thriller" is tempting. But good ol' #78 has kept me going for awhile now.

Again, for the record, Spiller's nickname in college (and he uses it for his Twitter account), is Lightning. Just sayin.

I thought it was stay thirsty?

Now I'm thirsty. :lol:

Well, he was paraphrasing, but I'm thirsty too.

I don't buy Bills merchandise or NFL Sunday Ticket but it has nothing to do with the Bills performance or their won lost record. After my 2nd heart attack in 2007 at age 42 I can no longer work so I can not afford to do so. I have been a Bills fan all my life and was a season ticket holder for 15 years and now because of health and money issues I can no longer attend any games and I sure do miss it a lot. So I say if your a fan and enjoy it and can afford it go ahead and get the Bills stuff you want. Don't take things for granted you just never know what may happen I would love to have a new Bills jersey and have Sunday Ticket but I just can't.

Well, Cat.

Glad you have a good computer and a good outlook.

Besides watching the games on TV, you should join us for our "Official Gameday Threads" that go on during Bills games. It's a lot of fun and gives you a very good idea of how well each poster really understands the game, what their outlooks are, etc. I find them to be VERY interesting.

I think what the dude is saying is, he's still a fan... the Bills are his team. But, because they've sucked so bad for so long, he really hasn't received value for his investment in time, phsyche, emmotional capital, and hard earned money. So, before investing further in the Bills, he chooses to sit back and see how the Bills have invested in him first.

I call it common sense.

That seems to be the widely accepted origin for "fan." However, there is an alternative theory that might be closer to the truth (because it was in common use long before "fanatic"): that "fan" is a shortened version of "Fancier."

That seems to be the widely accepted origin for "fan." However, there is an alternative theory that might be closer to the truth (because it was in common use long before "fanatic"): that "fan" is a shortened version of "Fancier."
Paul Dickson, in his Dickson Baseball Dictionary, cites William Henry Nugent's work that claims it comes from fancy, a 19th century term from England that referred mainly to followers of boxing. According to that unsupported explanation, it was originally shortened to fance then just to the homonym fans. However, Merriam-Webster, the Oxford dictionary and other recognized sources define it as a shortened version of the word fanatic, and the word did first become popular in reference to an enthusiastic follower of a baseball team. (Fanatic itself, introduced into English around 1550, means "marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion".

The bolded part sure describes the "you give your money and time to the team no matter what" crowd.

Hmmm…fancier as in "cat fancier?"

Dog person myself. I like the German working breeds, or a good, stout sporting breed like the Chesapeake Bay Retriever. Don't have much use for cats…well, gotta go split some wood now. No better time to prepare for winter than in early spring…(whistling as he goes)

The guy can be the biggest Bills fan in the world, and be a frustrated Bills fan, trust me, I fit that description. I am too saving quite a bit of money this year. I am cancelling the Sunday Ticket with HD (after about 8 or 9 years of paying way too much just to watch the Bills), not buying any jerseys or memorabilia, and probably not driving up from Virginia this year to attend training camp for the first time since they were at Fredonia. Am I less of a Bills fan than before, HELL NO, but am I frustrated, tired of paying money to support a team with ownership that doesn't try to win, puts a crap product on the field year and and year out, takes the cheap route with every coach they hire, Yes I am to all of these items. Will I still route for the Bills? Of course, as much as ever. Are my expectations down, yes, way down. Kinda like having a car you really love, but lately it has been running crappy, breaking down, costing you a fortune and really frustrating you. Do you still love that car-Yes you do, especially the memories, but are going to rely on it to get you where you need to go without any problems, probably not.