Ed Wang, the next big thing

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe this is somewhat racist, and I sure hope I'm wrong, but I wonder if he will hold up physically against the large African-American guys in the NFL. But one thing he has going for him, is a voice that sounds deep like a stereotypical African-American. Even has some hip-hop intonation. Oops, I did it again, maybe another racist sounding comment. :D

no maybe about it - it is racist - and a pathetic mind set to express your racism here

Well the knocks on Wang coming out of college were (According to a bunch of scouting reports I looked at)

1- Lacks a nastiness in his run blocking sometimes pulled off of blocks he could have finished off

2- Was slightly susceptible to the bull rush (Which means he will have to get stronger in the NFL because the guys are stronger and bigger)

3- Not a elite run blocker solid but not great in college.

The pros to his game are (Once again I haven't seen him play this is all according to reports I have looked at)

1- Very nimble feet and fast almost never got beat by a speed rush.

2- Ideal height and weight for an NFL LT

3- Hard work ethic good character guy

4- Fits very well into a zone blocking system (Which we are running this season)

So all in all he has the speed and quickness and body type BUT he needs to get stronger in the run blocking game and to protect himself from the Bull rush in the NFL. BUT the guy does have the work ethic to work out and get stronger so hopefully he works his tail off and we get a mid round gem.

Bell, Meredith and now Wang. Seems we think we can turn everyone into "the nest Jason Peters". Turning unheralded prospects and turning them into pro bowlers.

Here's hoping...

And then shipping them off and start the process again...

To Summarize, Wang can pass protect, but not run block effectively:

If we can get an LT to do 50% of his role, then I think it is a good start. Protecting your QB and keeping him upright is better for now.

Well the knocks on Wang coming out of college were (According to a bunch of scouting reports I looked at)

1- Lacks a nastiness in his run blocking sometimes pulled off of blocks he could have finished off

2- Was slightly susceptible to the bull rush (Which means he will have to get stronger in the NFL because the guys are stronger and bigger)

The pros to his game are (Once again I haven't seen him play this is all according to reports I have looked at)

4- Fits very well into a zone blocking system (Which we are running this season)

So all in all he has the speed and quickness and body type BUT he needs to get stronger in the run blocking game and to protect himself from the Bull rush in the NFL. BUT the guy does have the work ethic to work out and get stronger so hopefully he works his tail off and we get a mid round gem.

no maybe about it - it is racist - and a pathetic mind set to express your racism here

well look until a guy from an ethnicity that's never made it before, makes it, there will be questions. I sure hope he answers them by being a quality starter.

but similarly, was it racist for African-American receives to publicly state Jason Sehorn couldn't cover them because he's white?

Ed Wang's nickname at VaTech was "Godzilla". The perfect nickname! Especially if he can terrorize Gotham.

well look until a guy from an ethnicity that's never made it before, makes it, there will be questions. I sure he hopes he answers them by being a quality starter.

but similarly, was it racist for African-American receives to publicly state Jason Sehorn couldn't cover them because he's white?

People confuse commentary that is racial with being a racist all the time. It also depends on the race of who is saying it unfortunately.

Bell, Meredith and now Wang. Seems we think we can turn everyone into "the nest Jason Peters". Turning unheralded prospects and turning them into pro bowlers.

Here's hoping...

Sounds like it goes somewhere in the file next to the theory "if you fire enough ammunition, you might hit something".

I certainly don't doubt your scouting reports, but the Bill's Doug Majeski, said:

"Are there parts of his game that you wish were a little better? Yes," said Doug Majeski, the Bills' coordinator of college scouting. "But he's never out of position. You don't see mental mistakes from the kid. He's rarely beat. He finishes blocks. Everything about his play is good, but there is another level that he can take and another step he can take."

Frankly the Bills really need to capitalize on this. I don't know how you take independent control of this in the NFL but the Bills need to promote the heck out of themselves in China.

Take players over there, translate NFL Films stuff about the Super Bowl years, etc.

Hush your mouth. If Russ Brandon hears you we will be playing a "home game" in Beijing. I mean, who needs a home field? Buffalo folks can just sit at home and pull for their Wang while playing all 16 games on the road so Russ can "develop markets for the long-term good of the franchise". :D