So How Many BCS Championships Did Georgia Tech Win?

Buddy Nix, our GM hired only to "win games", signed undrafted OL Cord Howard out of Georgia Tech after the draft this past week. Cord feels right at home coming to Buffalo, as he said, “I feel like it will be, I’m not going to say easy, because you’ve still got to work wherever you go, but at the same time you’re still comfortable with your setting,” Howard said. “I have my same offensive line coach, my head coach, my offensive coordinator and my strength coach there. So it’s basically being reunited with my beginning.”

Isn't that nice for Cord? However I would have felt better if Georgia Tech might have at least defeated Georgia once during Chan and his gangs' career together there! Great job, Buddy. Nothing like turning down "hundreds of phone calls a day" and ending up hiring half the staff from a college program that was mediocre at best, could not recruit the best athletes from their own state, and never sniffed a conference or national championship. Nothing spells Super Bowl coaching staff like that resume', huh?? :rolleyes:

Who cares what his win/loss percentage was at GT. Really means nothing when coming to the NFL or vice versa. Examples: Spurrier with the Skins, and Pete Carroll the first time he was in the NFL.

Not saying Chan is going to be a great coach for us. No one knows that yet.. have to wait and see.

Read more: http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2010/04/29/...l#ixzz0mgtCp8De

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to beat a dead horse, but so what. Our former O-line coach, who many on TSW declared a bum, was hired by Pittsburgh. Did the the Steelers suddenly became stupid?

Last years o-line coach (>2009) was a miracle worker. The o-line coach (<2008) before him sucked hardcore.

Switzer had one losing season with the Cowboys. CG had one winning season with the Cowboys.

The QBs that followed Aikman's demise: Carter, Anthony Wright, Ryan Leaf (!) and Steve Hutchinson.

Why didn't we just keep Jauron?----he has taken a team to the playoffs (more recently and with a less talented team than even the fading 90's Cowboys) and was 7-9 with the Bills, as opposed to 8-8 with a better Cowboys team (CG).

Two playoff seasons out of two seasons as head coach of a "fading" dynasty trumps 1 playoff season out of nine, doc. Even you know this.

And the answer to my question was "Aikman was the QB in 1997, the last year under Switzer, when the team went 6-10, just as he was the QB in 1998, when the team went 10-6." IOW, the Cowboys had the same players in 1997 as 1998, but different coaches and vastly different results.

Speaking of Switzer and addressing the topic of this thread, while looking up stuff about him, I (re) learned that he is one of only 2 coaches to win a national championship and a SB, and his SB win was solely because he inherited a SB-winning team from the other coach to do it, Jimmy Johnson. College success doesn't equal NFL success.

And the answer to my question was "Aikman was the QB in 1997, the last year under Switzer, when the team went 6-10, just as he was the QB in 1998, when the team went 10-6." IOW, the Cowboys had the same players in 1997 as 1998, but different coaches and vastly different results.

And the same players again in 1999 with a 8-8 result.

And the same players again in 1999 with a 8-8 result.

Hence the "fading dynasty" qualifier. The salient point out of that was the team going 6-10 in 1997 and then going 10-6 the following year. The Big Three (Aikman, Smith, and Irvin) were obviously in decline during the latter part of the 90's, with Irvin being done in 1999, Aikman in 2000, and Smith (for all intents and purposes) in 2001, which interestingly enough, is how they were drafted (i.e. Irvin in 1988, Aikman in 1989, and Smith in 1990).

Buddy Nix, our GM hired only to "win games", signed undrafted OL Cord Howard out of Georgia Tech after the draft this past week. Cord feels right at home coming to Buffalo, as he said, "I feel like it will be, I'm not going to say easy, because you've still got to work wherever you go, but at the same time you're still comfortable with your setting," Howard said. "I have my same offensive line coach, my head coach, my offensive coordinator and my strength coach there. So it's basically being reunited with my beginning."

Isn't that nice for Cord? However I would have felt better if Georgia Tech might have at least defeated Georgia once during Chan and his gangs' career together there! Great job, Buddy. Nothing like turning down "hundreds of phone calls a day" and ending up hiring half the staff from a college program that was mediocre at best, could not recruit the best athletes from their own state, and never sniffed a conference or national championship. Nothing spells Super Bowl coaching staff like that resume', huh?? :rolleyes:

By the way college is more about recruiting then coaching

Read more: http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2010/04/29/...l#ixzz0mgtCp8De