For All of You Jeff Ireland Bashers

DasNootz

what does "on the record" mean? its not like either have been sworn to testify. all it means is that Bryant told a journalist his account directly. Doesn't automatically make it truthful or exact.

im with you in not believing either story. the truth always lies in between. and really, at this point, who cares?

True, but the Dolphins are cowards "leaking" a story today without attribution after Ireland already apologized. If he had nothing to apologize for, why did he do so instead of telling his side when the original story came out.

To me, it just sounds like the Dolphins are trying to save face. They already are getting heat down here for not letting Zack Thomas use their facilities to announce his retirement and playing games with Jason Taylor (at least that is the way a lot of Dolphin fans are perceiving it down here).

True, but the Dolphins are cowards "leaking" a story today without attribution after Ireland already apologized. If he had nothing to apologize for, why did he do so instead of telling his side when the original story came out.

no matter how it was asked, or in what context, Bryant came out and said he was upset by the question. Ireland's apology is needed, whether he feels the question was ok or not. The apology was the right thing to do regardless of anything else, unless he hadnt asked the question at all, which we know he did.

an apology is not a clear indicator that everything happened exactly as Bryant said.

no matter how it was asked, or in what context, Bryant came out and said he was upset by the question. Ireland's apology is needed, whether he feels the question was ok or not. The apology was the right thing to do regardless of anything else, unless he hadnt asked the question at all, which we know he did.

an apology is not a clear indicator that everything happened exactly as Bryant said.

I appreciate what you are saying, but (at least to me) the apology does fly in the face of the Dolphins' belated attempt to justify what happened. Also, the fact that the Dolphins are now leaking this version without attribution is cowardly and self-defeating. By doing what they are doing, they have given this story another news cycle. They should have just let it die.

Jeff Ireland is an incompetent dumbass and should be fired. Obviously,any organization is going to want to know the background of a person they plan on paying lots of money to. A good interviewer can obtain all the information needed without ever asking a question as stupid as "is your mom a prostitute". If I owned the Dolphins I'd fire Ireland and hire somebody that has some common sense.

I appreciate what you are saying, but (at least to me) the apology does fly in the face of the Dolphins' belated attempt to justify what happened. Also, the fact that the Dolphins are now leaking this version without attribution is cowardly and self-defeating. By doing what they are doing, they have given this story another news cycle. They should have just let it die.

agreed, they should have let it die.

Jeff Ireland is an incompetent dumbass and should be fired. Obviously,any organization is going to want to know the background of a person they plan on paying lots of money to. A good interviewer can obtain all the information needed without ever asking a question as stupid as "is your mom a prostitute". If I owned the Dolphins I'd fire Ireland and hire somebody that has a some common sense.

I think that they are in a bit of a pickle. I suspect that they will not fire Ireland for fear of Parcells leaving.

Would you feel that way if someone asked you, your son or daughter, "is your mother a prostitute?" during the course of a job interview?

If my son had just told them that I was a pimp, and that his mother worked for me, I wouldn't have an issue.

what does "on the record" mean? its not like either have been sworn to testify. all it means is that Bryant told a journalist his account directly. Doesn't automatically make it truthful or exact.

im with you in not believing either story. the truth always lies in between. and really, at this point, who cares?

Untrue. "On the record" means the source agrees to let a journalist publicly identify them and attribute information/quotes to them. Lots of people tell me things directly, but are unwilling to see them in print with their name attached. Even at the prep sports level, you'd be amazed how often I hear, "Please don't put this in the paper, but..."

In other words, Bryant is publicly willing to stand behind his story. The sources leaking the other version -- who presumably also spoke directly to a journalist at some point -- aren't. Why not?