The Truth about Drew Brees

Puggz

I've seen a lot of QBs being considered or on the roster, bashed because they're "never going to be Drew Brees." I was in San Diego for the early 2000s, and I remember Brees' first few years. He wasn't that great.

The Chargers acquired Rivers and were hanging onto Brees because Rivers held out. That's when Brees exploded.

This is my long way to say that maybe the book shouldn't close on Brohm or Edwards yet.

http://armchairgm.wikia.com/Drew_Brees

I've seen a lot of QBs being considered or on the roster, bashed because they're "never going to be Drew Brees." I was in San Diego for the early 2000s, and I remember Brees' first few years. He wasn't that great.

The Chargers acquired Rivers and were hanging onto Brees because Rivers held out. That's when Brees exploded.

This is my long way to say that maybe the book shouldn't close on Brohm or Edwards yet.

Except Brees had a much more prestigious collegiate career, was the 32nd player taken in the draft, and threw for almost 3300 yards in his first year as a starter. Neither Brohm nor Edwards have done anything to even remotely indicate they could be the "next Brees."

Except Brees had a much more prestigious collegiate career, was the 32nd player taken in the draft, and threw for almost 3300 yards in his first year as a starter. Neither Brohm nor Edwards have done anything to even remotely indicate they could be the "next Brees."

But they could be leaving in a future breeze.

this post is such a phsych.

Remember who drafted these players before you talk about how they might become great.

lol, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while! Aren't there enough turds in my punch bowl? I'm not even asking for great, just watchable.

Keep in mind also that the drafting of Rivers at #4 overall served as a wake-up call for Brees, driving him to work harder and raise his game to new levels. Brees has specifically brought that up in interviews.

I don't see the drafting of Levi Brown at #209 overall as having the same effect.

Big difference is that Brees had a decent year in 2002 with 3200 plus yards 17 TD's and 16 INT's with 16 starts. While Brees had a bad season in 2003 with 2100 yards and 11 TD's and 15 INT's he still managed to be play 27 games in two seasons and did an OK job considering the surrounding talent and his lack of NFL playing time.

Trent Edwards in 3 years has only played 30 games while Brees in 2 years of starting played 27. Edwards has regressed big time over the last season. Now they guy is going to get one more shot on the Bills and I hope he does well. However I just think that the guy isn't able to work the mid range passes (13-22 yards) needed to be successful in the NFL.

There are plenty of examples of QB's who have turned their careers around or caught on with other teams HOWEVER it is a big question to wither Edwards is that kind of a guy. He has 30 starts so he has the experience but he is going to be learning a new system and his health and ability to throw in the mid range are huge concerns and makes me doubt it could happen.

so brees totally sucked and only threw underneath for 3 years?? i remember him, he threw pretty passes deep and mid range and I thought, "he seems pretty good" I never thought that watching trentative.

Actually Brian Brohm's college career was ALOT more prestigious until his injury. Before his injury Brohm was considered to be a top 10-15 pick.

How bad is it that the only hope we have for some of our younger players is that they have failure in common with other superstars.

Brees struggled the first 3 years, so did Edwards. NEED I SAY MORE?

You know who else struggled the first 3 years? Ryan LEaf, Jamarcus Russell and Akilli Smith.

Eric Moulds was considered a bust the first 2-3 years, and so is Hardy.

Well, I guess Hardy is going to be the next Moulds! Or possibly the next Charles Rogers, Mike Williams or Rashaun Woods.

there is no QB that could have a productive season behind our OL. i mean maybe a QB that can run around and make plays....a QB with legs.....but a pure pocket passing QB would and will get killed behind our line. I feel bad for our QB this year.....

Brees was also benched by Marty and stated later that his benching is what pushed him to get better.

Lets not forget that at his end he had a great surrounding cast in SD, coaches- Cam Cameron OC- Marty HC- players- best TE in the game at that time, LT and a dominate running attack.

I can only dream of a Bills offense as good as SD, NYJ, Balt Ravens.

Big difference is that Brees had a decent year in 2002 with 3200 plus yards 17 TD's and 16 INT's with 16 starts. While Brees had a bad season in 2003 with 2100 yards and 11 TD's and 15 INT's he still managed to be play 27 games in two seasons and did an OK job considering the surrounding talent and his lack of NFL playing time.

Trent Edwards in 3 years has only played 30 games while Brees in 2 years of starting played 27. Edwards has regressed big time over the last season. Now they guy is going to get one more shot on the Bills and I hope he does well. However I just think that the guy isn't able to work the mid range passes (13-22 yards) needed to be successful in the NFL.

There are plenty of examples of QB's who have turned their careers around or caught on with other teams HOWEVER it is a big question to wither Edwards is that kind of a guy. He has 30 starts so he has the experience but he is going to be learning a new system and his health and ability to throw in the mid range are huge concerns and makes me doubt it could happen.

Ask yourself why did he regress? Could it be the absolute horrid offensive line he started behind, firing of the offensive coordinator a week before the season, the retarded head coach he played for, or maybe the concussions he suffered. I'd like to see the guy play with some surrounding talent, an aggressive coach and good offensive coordinator. If he can't do it with a surrounding cast then its time to stick a fork in him.

there is no QB that could have a productive season behind our OL. i mean maybe a QB that can run around and make plays....a QB with legs.....but a pure pocket passing QB would and will get killed behind our line. I feel bad for our QB this year.....

:rolleyes: Good to see this myth is still alive and well. Yes, the o-line was terrible at times but don't underestimate the ability of a great QB. It often seems like the best QBs have all day to throw but if you watch closely it's often the QBs ability to go through his reads, sidestep pressure, anticipate receivers routes, and execute a well timed throw. What do the best QBs do when an o-line is getting whipped? Throw the ball away!

No QB would have broken records behind our o-line but many would have been productive.

it's not like brees was some cast off that no one thought was good. when new orleans signed him it was touted as a huge free agent signing and questioned by many

if the bills let trent edwards go people would hardly bat an eyelash

edwards and fitzpatrick have played enough to show their lack of potential

maybe brohm or brown could miraculously be good - its doubtful but at least we dont know for sure

I agree, you can't close the book on them yet. But at this point, it would be a surprise if either blossomed. Very possible, though.

:rolleyes: Good to see this myth is still alive and well. Yes, the o-line was terrible at times but don't underestimate the ability of a great QB. It often seems like the best QBs have all day to throw but if you watch closely it's often the QBs ability to go through his reads, sidestep pressure, anticipate receivers routes, and execute a well timed throw. What do the best QBs do when an o-line is getting whipped? Throw the ball away!

No QB would have broken records behind our o-line but many would have been productive.

Productive? Mmmmmm. I personally doubt it.

More productive than our guys? Gotta agree with that.