There will be no Bill's QB controversy this year...

LGB

The Bills don't need a LT to know that Trent and Fitz suck.

I think Fitz is an above average back up QB. In terms of Trent, I'm one of the few that still has hope he can regain the sparkle we had for him prior to the 2009 season. If not show him the door and give Brohm a chance at #1 and let Levi Brown develop as a #3. Fitz should only be a #2 and honestly don't want to see him on the field unless Edwards or Brohm get hurt and we need to win a game or two to make the playoffs. Otherwise give the reigns to Brown.

I think Fitz is an above average back up QB. In terms of Trent, I'm one of the few that still has hope he can regain the sparkle we had for him prior to the 2009 season. If not show him the door and give Brohm a chance at #1 and let Levi Brown develop as a #3. Fitz should only be a #2 and honestly don't want to see him on the field unless Edwards or Brohm get hurt and we need to win a game or two to make the playoffs. Otherwise give the reigns to Brown.

Trent never looked good. The reason why fans jumped on board was because he wasn't JP and would actually get rid of the ball, flat or not.

Trent's biggest problem is himself. Great NFL QBs pull the trigger when they are supposed to and will throw the ball into the tiniest of openings. WR's have to be wide open for Trent to throw the ball and that is not the O Line or coaching, that is on Trent. Not to mention he can't stay healthy. What NFL QB's get hurt every single year? You couldn't count on him even if he was a solid QB.

I fully expect Brohm to win the job. Bobby Patrino's offense resembles Gailey's so there is going to be some comfort for Brohm. I'm not saying that Brohm will be good or is the future, but he just sucks less than Trent.

i disagree, i think the only problem with trent is his confidence. if you guys remember the season opener last year against the pats, he looked like a solid QB. he easily outplayed brady and wasnt afraid to run the ball, after the 1st game, his confidence declined and we sucked the rest of the season

I do not think the line would have been nearly as bad last year, if we didn't have so many injuries. If everyone can actually stay healthy for once, I think we will be adequate on the line. Although, we could use some depth just in case.

I bet you wouldn't have wrote this article if we drafted one with one of our top two picks. They all have to start off with no experience some time. Wang isn't much of a drop off from the players drafted in rounds 3 and 4. Everyone quit whining about the line. It's anoying.

Um, yessir. Would you like me to shine your shoes also?

I woulda thought that the players in Round 5 were generally worse than the players in Round 4, who are generally quite a bit worse than the players in Round 3. I woulda thought that since the players in Round 5 and back are basically developmental guys that Wang was one too. I woulda thought that it wouldna made sense to complain about a need if the need had been addressed in Round 1 or Round 2. Thanks for straightening us out, sir.

We won't carry four QBs on the final 53 man roster. One of them will be the odd man out. Probably Brohm unless he shows something in camp. And if he does then Fitz will be released. Or Brown will be assigned to the practice squad.

Brown to practice squad most likely. The usual fate of 7th round rookie QBs on a team with 4 guys at the position.

OK now I think that Trent crumbles physically and mentally over the course of the season so he isn't a viable option at QB. Fitz is a gutsy vet who makes the perfect backup but over the course of a season his limitations get exposed, thus he is a good backup to keep you afloat for a 2-4 game stretch. Levi Brown just isn't pro-ready at this point.

So now that leaves Brohm. The guy has loads of potential but behind this O-line he would be put in a compromised position. All in all the team should start Fitz or Edwards and once we fall out of contention hand the snaps to Brohm and see what we have (By putting him in at the end of the season when the pressure is lessened you put him in a less compromised position).

By next season unless Edwards puts it together or Fitz navigates this team to success we should have given Brohm 5 starts minimum. Once we play 11 games we should know our chances of realistically making the playoffs. If we are 4-7 or worse just hand Brohm the ball and lets see what the kids got.

I still hope we make a trade for Gaither but that's not likely to happen post draft. Our O-line makes it hard to process any QB especially a young one like Brohm.

Trent never looked good. The reason why fans jumped on board was because he wasn't JP and would actually get rid of the ball, flat or not.

Trent's biggest problem is himself. Great NFL QBs pull the trigger when they are supposed to and will throw the ball into the tiniest of openings. WR's have to be wide open for Trent to throw the ball and that is not the O Line or coaching, that is on Trent. Not to mention he can't stay healthy. What NFL QB's get hurt every single year? You couldn't count on him even if he was a solid QB.

I fully expect Brohm to win the job. Bobby Patrino's offense resembles Gailey's so there is going to be some comfort for Brohm. I'm not saying that Brohm will be good or is the future, but he just sucks less than Trent.

We don't know what Gailey's offense will look like, because it has been different at every stop.

Jim Kelly and/or Joe Montana would have sucked behind this offensive line. If any line ever was "Offensive" it is this one.

anyone think the O-line and QB play on this team last year (and the other years under DJ) were a direct result of bad coaching/game planning/conservative calls? I do...in fact I think it had more to do with that than the QB's themselves. If we win the Dallas MN game, the opener against the Pats, or any other close game, TE looks a lot better to the expert fans on this board.

Teams tend to take on the personality of their coach.....DJ....great pass defense (although lack of pass rush) and totally mystifying decisions in critical situations....the offense played like a team afraid to make a mistake, inturn making HUGE mistakes. This offense had DJ's stank all over it. Not to mention they fired their OC right before the season opener!!!

I think these guys will play better with a different HC and offensive philosophy.

my $0.02

I say BS, he looked really good last season in the opener against the Patriots. A game the Bills win if they run the ball worth a damn at the end OR the rookie doesn't flub the KO. He looked good in several games in 08, like the win against Denver AT Denver, the several comeback games against the Chargers and Raiders, Rams.

The problem with Edwards is he lost confidence in his O line and receivers, you get a concussion like the one he suffered in Arizona and then again last season, you start looking over your shoulder and hearing phantom footsteps.

His receivers besides Lee Evans stunk, so many times a QB is supposed to trust his receivers will be open at a certain spot and as the ball needs to be in the air before the receiver breaks open, how many of those passes did you see Edwards throw...

The last 4 years the Bills coaches were incompetent, inexperienced and downright moronic at times. Look at the way the Bills started the season by firing the OC two weeks before the season starts and then cuts and trades the best linemen. All three decent linemen from 08 Peters-Dockery-Walker were jettisoned and replaced by inexperienced players. Dockery's play greatly improved in Washington after he left Buffalo, better coaching! Walker was moved to guard and Jason Peters was rated 18th out of 77 players.

All the Bills QB's sucked last season because the entire offense sucked, the scheme, the game plans, the coaching, the O line, the receivers. That is why all the coaches were fired, the receivers Reed and TO were dumped, and more cuts will come as the pre season ends and Gailey and Nix can see first hand how bad the players are.

I cheered and rejoiced when Ralph Wilson fired dickhead jauron, now lets wait and see if Gailey can coach up what he has, and if this staff fails to bring in a decent LT in free agency...

I do not think the line would have been nearly as bad last year, if we didn't have so many injuries. If everyone can actually stay healthy for once, I think we will be adequate on the line. Although, we could use some depth just in case.
put down the crack pipe...

Even when they were not hurt the line was stinking up the place, every game, nearly every play. The Bills O line fielded some of the worst in the entire NFL last season.

Hangartner was the only linemen to play in all 16 games, he allowed 16 QB pressures-4 penalties-3 sacks-2 hits and was ranked 27th out of 34, he stunk.

The entire O line was horrid last season, if the Bills FO doesn't find a decent LT from somewhere... then they will stink it up again this season, no QB will be safe.

Besides Kirk Chambers, Geoff Hangartner, newcomer Andy Levitre and newly signed undrafted Cornell Green (now with his 8th different team in about as many years), only Eric Wood (10 starts), Demetrius Bell (8 starts) and Jamon Meredith (4 starts) have seen any NFL starting action. The remaining lineman (Nick Hennessey, Andre Ramsey, Jason Watkins & Christian Gaddis and rookies obviously) have not started any NFL games. Bell, when healthy, was shaky at best - at LT.

So the idea that you don't need a quality experienced LT to protect your QB's blind-spot has still not been addressed (some say - the most important position on the field) and it doesn't matter if you have Lee Evans or TO or Brandon Marshall - when your QB is not protected.

As a result, it appears that there will be no QB controversy this year (much-less any big risk getting the ball down the field) - as the Bills will probably need all 4 QBs after each one gets beat up behind a bunch of newb linemen. Trent Edwards (if he starts), is probably only one more Pat LaFontaine hit away from another concussion and will be the first to go down - based on his previous concussions received behind the past musical linemen game the Bills have played. Then insert Fitz and so on. This will be another learning year for the OL and maybe the only QB controversy we will have is - if the Bills will have enough QBs to make it through the year.

lets sacrifice te and fitz while the line matures and then end up with brohm, who is the only nfl calibre talent on the roster

Why would Fitzie be released before TE? Fitzie does not suck. And with some real coaching the guy might actually lead us to some victories. At least he is a leader and plays to win. That is something Edwards has not shown since he was a rookie.

Signed,

Mrs. Fitzie.

i disagree, i think the only problem with trent is his confidence. if you guys remember the season opener last year against the pats, he looked like a solid QB. he easily outplayed brady and wasnt afraid to run the ball, after the 1st game, his confidence declined and we sucked the rest of the season

I his 4 yrs at Stanford and 3 or so with Bills this guys has never had a 300 yard passing game from what I have read. That says a lot right there. The guy can't throw the ball up the field or is afraid of INTs.

Not sure, but TE's play might have been affected after he was sacked 18 times in the first 5 games and then knocked out in game 6 against the Jets.

This was after being knocked out in 2008 against Arizona.

One more strike this year with no quality protection at LT - just might put him out for good.