OT "The biggest in Buffalo in decades"

seq004

Bass Pro not only caters to fishermen.  They have an equal amount of hunting supplies, ATV's and camping equipment.  If you love the outdoors this is your kind of store.

139582[/snapback]

Cool... I didn't know that!

I still think bass fishing is one hell of an elitist sport... :w00t::w00t:

Some of those outfits and rigs (mix in the tow vehicle) have to be well over 50k if not more...

:w00t::lol:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

re: Fire companies / libraries

Anyone out there that can give an unbiased viewpoint of what this financial control board is supposed to / wants to accomplish? How do fire companies figure into the mix? I'm going to take an off the wall guess that basic necessities should be funded. Am I loopy for thinking fire protection falls into that category?

:lol:

I got the book at home... I will get the exact title for you Peter... It is old (80's) and read it when I was at UB... Still appropiate, since it is past history... Goes to show that Buffalo's problems have been well documented.

139716[/snapback]

Goldman wrote that book. I read it ages ago. That was a pretty good read. He had another one on Judge Curtin, busing issue.....I think? And I believe he wrote another book or two. Goldman, I also believe, has quite a bit invested in Chippewa.

To give you an idea about NYS Government's misplaced priorities:

There is a company in WNY called PCB Piezotronics.

Home Page

They started as a 2-person company in WNY, and have grown to over 500 people. It was started by Buffalo natives, and remains there.

Company History

They don't do anything "sexy" - they make various gauges and measuring devices - but they have an excellent reputation for quality and their name is well-known in engineering circles.

Company Profile

With their success, they needed to expand their research / development / manufacturing capabilities, and they asked NYS earlier this year for help in locating a new facility for their expansion (including 250 new jobs).

NYS told them to go f**k off - literally. They described NYS' attitudes towards them as "hostile" and "contentious". This is detailed in an article in the September 15th Buffalo News.

So instead, this company (which was founded in WNY and owned by WNY'ers) will instead expand its facilities and payroll in North Carolina.

North Carolina Newspaper Article

It's sad that NYS ignores this company and so many like them - it is these kinds of jobs that they desperately need instead of more "retail".

139699[/snapback]

I agree... Total mistrust, hostile, contentious... Just look at the old farts on these boards... :lol::w00t: ONLY JOKING.

Where to begin?

The pscyhe of the place? The feeling of betrayal... It goes so deep... Who takes the first hit?

Believe it or not there is a proud past underneath it all. Generations worked and supported their familys on good wages... Complacency? That's a little harsh.

On and on...

To give you an idea about NYS Government's misplaced priorities:

There is a company in WNY called PCB Piezotronics.

Home Page

They started as a 2-person company in WNY, and have grown to over 500 people. It was started by Buffalo natives, and remains there.

Company History

They don't do anything "sexy" - they make various gauges and measuring devices - but they have an excellent reputation for quality and their name is well-known in engineering circles.

Company Profile

With their success, they needed to expand their research / development / manufacturing capabilities, and they asked NYS earlier this year for help in locating a new facility for their expansion (including 250 new jobs).

NYS told them to go f**k off - literally. They described NYS' attitudes towards them as "hostile" and "contentious". This is detailed in an article in the September 15th Buffalo News.

So instead, this company (which was founded in WNY and owned by WNY'ers) will instead expand its facilities and payroll in North Carolina.

North Carolina Newspaper Article

It's sad that NYS ignores this company and so many like them - it is these kinds of jobs that they desperately need instead of more "retail".

139699[/snapback]

Holy Schit! Are they dumb or just stupid in Albany? Same thing going on here in Syracuse. Got some developer that wants to build the next 'Mall of America' here and the city and other politicians keep dicking him around. Guess their kickbacks aren't big enough or something. Meanwhile companies are closing/moving left and right. The politicians response? Raise taxes. It's unfrigginbelievable. Can't wait to move back out of here.

Holy Schit! Are they dumb or just stupid in Albany? Same thing going on here in Syracuse. Got some developer that wants to build the next 'Mall of America' here and the city and other politicians keep dicking him around. Guess their kickbacks aren't big enough or something. Meanwhile companies are closing/moving left and right. The politicians response? Raise taxes. It's unfrigginbelievable. Can't wait to move back out of here.

139741[/snapback]

Weren't you in Virginny?

I did a little searching on Amazon...here's the book and it's title:

High Hopes: The Rise and Decline of Buffalo, New York

139732[/snapback]

Thanks Zam... I haven't read it for some time... I guess replacing Hopes with Times and Decline with Fall would really FUBAR a search? :lol:

Another good one is (more personal based):

The Last Fine Time ~ Verlyn Klinkenborg

The Last Fine Time

Weren't you in Virginny?

139752[/snapback]

Yep. Wife had a job opportunity here in Syracuse so we took a chance and moved. We both agree now that it was a terrible mistake. Only bonus is getting to see my Pops more often, but he is a few years away from retirement and he wants to move as soon as he can too.

Yep. Wife had a job opportunity here in Syracuse so we took a chance and moved. We both agree now that it was a terrible mistake. Only bonus is getting to see my Pops more often, but he is a few years away from retirement and he wants to move as soon as he can too.

139759[/snapback]

I had my one year internship in WNY again....but I think it was more like 10 months.

Bass Pro not only caters to fishermen.  They have an equal amount of hunting supplies, ATV's and camping equipment.  If you love the outdoors this is your kind of store.

139582[/snapback]

There's another NYS screw-up. So where are you going to ride that ATV? On land the state provides you for all the registration $$$ you pay? Oh gee, maybe NYS only takes your money and says "screw you"! :lol:

Funny, so that money goes to Bass Pro to sell more ATV's you can't ride any where

There's another NYS screw-up.  So where are you going to ride that ATV?  On land the state provides you for all the registration $$$ you pay?  Oh gee, maybe NYS only takes your money and says "screw you"!      :lol: 

Funny, so that money goes to Bass Pro to sell more ATV's you can't ride any where

139769[/snapback]

Are you trying to tell me you won't be buying an ATV from Bass Pro? Maybe they should rethink this whole idea of putting one in Buffalo.

Are you trying to tell me you won't be buying an ATV from Bass Pro?  Maybe they should rethink this whole idea of putting one in Buffalo.

139779[/snapback]

Obviously you miss the irony here. You support the B-Pro idea with NYS tax $$$ by arguing they sell ATV's. Yet how does NYS then support ATV's? You can't have it both ways

Obviously you miss the irony here.  You support the B-Pro idea with NYS tax $$$ by arguing they sell ATV's.  Yet how does NYS then support ATV's?  You can't have it both ways

139794[/snapback]

I wasn’t making an argument for or against - I was merely stating that Bass Pro sold more than just fishing supplies ---- As for NYS tax $$ it's no money out of my pocket - I live in VA.

Why would tourists come to Buffalo to go to Bass Pro when they can go to any of the other 25 locations around the country, one being in Auburn, NY?

139829[/snapback]

I think the main draw for Buffalo will be it’s proximity to the waterfront and it will be the third largest in the nation encompassing 250,000 sq ft. Given the waterfront, you will likely see an increase in corporate sponsored Bass tournaments in the Buffalo region which in itself is a big $$$ industry.

I think the main draw for Buffalo will be it’s proximity to the waterfront and it will be the third largest in the nation encompassing 250,000 sq ft.  Given the waterfront, you will likely see an increase in corporate sponsored Bass tournaments in the Buffalo region which in itself is a big $$$ industry.

139841[/snapback]

But its not even the biggest one? This reminds me of Roger and Me when they build the 'Auto-Funland" place...