Travis Henry should stay in buffalo

DreamOnDan

If we can only get a 3rd - 4th rd pick for Henry, why trade him? Just because McGahee has emerged as the better back it doesn't make Henry overpaid, does it? The last time I checked he is and will continue to make poop on a stick. To me that sounds like his problem and I don't see buffalo trading him any time soon. Plus McGahee is still not 100% and what says he won't be hurt next season. I think that if the BIlls truely feel like an orginization that has a strong chance at the superbowl next season, Henry stays. He should want to. This game is not about setting records and making a butt load of money it is about winning the superowl. Ask any player who hasn't won one, He'll tell ya the same.

i think your point is moot because i see the market for henry starting at a 2nd rounder.......

138447[/snapback]

The Bills will do well to get a 6th for Henry. I wouldn't quite call him a cancer, but the Bills sucked this season with him in the lineup.

If they get no takers on a trade for him, I hope that he is cut. He has not helped the Buffalo Bills football team one iota this season, unless one heaps praise on falling on ones' ass, missing blocks, running wrong patterns and dropping easy passes.

Me, I would prefer the 1 mil cap space.

The Bills will do well to get a 6th for Henry. I wouldn't quite call him a cancer, but the Bills sucked this season with him in the lineup.

If they get no takers on a trade for him, I hope that he is cut. He has not helped the Buffalo Bills football team one iota this season, unless one heaps praise on falling on ones' ass, missing blocks, running wrong patterns and dropping easy passes.

Me, I would prefer the 1 mil cap space.

138461[/snapback]

what did you think the bengals would get for dillon? a kicking tee?

I think Henry did have some high pick trade value prior to this injury because of his two very good seasons and the fact that if a team traded for him he brings a very cap friendly deal with him next year.

His downturn this year was real and likely would have scared away some interest, but all you need is one partner to make a deal and his downturn this year being easily explained away by some some team that wanted to make a deal by the Bills braintrust giving up on him because they were enthused with WM would probably been enough to make a conditional deal with a high pick for the Bills at the very least.

However, his injury does change the market for him a lot and actually makes all the past posts from folks who provided some dead certain absolute assessment of THs trade value were simply flat out wrong.

The injury makes a conditional deal attached to the number of appearances Henry makes for a new team still doable, but this conditional deal probably maxes out at a lower point than a pre-injury deal for Travis.

I think the hard part for him is that this injury puts a big payday for him into serious jeopardy. The Bills may not even want to or be able to move him for the right price if he is recovering from injury and sitting on the bench behind WM which the Bills can easily do contractually may cost him a big FA deal.

If he chose to force a trade, the uncertainty about him still lingers and the only way to force a deal would be by becoming a cancer which would be a third strike against him (2004 performance, the injury) so this is not a strategy he can pursue either.

I think if the Bills offer him a deal which provides more up front money than he has ever seen before (the thing which bought us an extra year apparently due to his financial mismanagement) I think he takes the deal and likely sucks it up as a man and a player.

If we can only get a 3rd - 4th rd pick for Henry, why trade him?  Just because McGahee has emerged as the better back it doesn't make Henry overpaid, does it?  The last time I checked he is and will continue to make poop on a stick.  To me that sounds like his problem and I don't see buffalo trading him any time soon.  Plus McGahee is still not 100% and what says he won't be hurt next season.  I think that if the BIlls truely feel like an orginization that has a strong chance at the superbowl next season, Henry stays.  He should want to.  This game is not about setting records and making a butt load of money it is about winning the superowl.  Ask any player who hasn't won one, He'll tell ya the same.

138423[/snapback]

For the sake of all Buffalo teenage girls, he needs to go. :w00t:

I don't even know what I'm saying because I know TH isn't a cancer and he won't ever be a cancer so I should change my post name to Travis Henry should stay in Buffalo if we feel we are contenders.

138429[/snapback]

Travis henry isn't a cancer? Uh ok. Well if you don't think he has been so far, just wait until this offseason. :w00t:

Travis henry isn't a cancer?  Uh ok. Well if you don't think he has been so far, just wait until this offseason.  :w00t:

138564[/snapback]

I doubt he will be because being a cancer really hurts his ability to get a big deal in a big way. Henry already has a strike against him because of his poor performance this year, but it is easy to envision a team looking past this and laying in on the Bills for clearly not believing in him because they were going to make it work with WM. The ragging which you and others do on Bledsoe also provided a ready made excuse to see the TH of the last two years as the real TH rather than the poor performer of this year.

The injury is a second strike against him which will further constrain interest in him and his market value as trade bait for the Bills or for him to sign a big FA deal early.

If Henry were to go down the cancer road, he would bring a thrid strike to himself that would virtually eliminate his chances to get traded or to sign a big deal.

Talk of him being a cancer regarding WM this year were clearly overblown by the media looking to sale ad space from another RJ/DF type dispute.

Even if you don't want to believe intial reports were false or overblown it speaks even more forcefully for TH not becoming a cancer because he clearly then took a better marketing line after he realized or some advisor realized that being a cancer simply hurt his market value.

Further, reports out today of both the Bills and TH now minimizing the injury speak to him recogizing that issues like the injury or him becoming a cancer really hurt him financially.

I have seen no evidence of him becoming a cancer and this move would defy logic as it woold lower his value to another team.

I could be totally wrong but I think there is absolutely NO WAY that Henry is a Bill next year....

- Not a cancer? Started out griping when we took a RB.....would practically refuse to come off the field to get Willis reps.....then went into a proverbial shell as Willis starting playing better. Yeah...he said the PC correct things but I didn't get the feeling for a minute that he was being honest......

- If we dont trade Travis....he is gonna hold out. I dont have a doubt in my mind. I just wish there was some way to have showcased him and still played Willis....but Henry didn't play well enough to KEEP on the field.....

I know he is capability of much more then he showed this year....it is my hope that some other team that needs a running back saw this as well and comes up with a offer that is fair......

I could be totally wrong but I think there is absolutely NO WAY that Henry is a Bill next year....

- Not a cancer?  Started out griping when we took a RB.....would practically refuse to come off the field to get Willis reps.....then went into a proverbial shell as Willis starting playing better.  Yeah...he said the PC correct things but I didn't get the feeling for a minute that he was being honest......

- If we dont trade Travis....he is gonna hold out.  I dont have a doubt in my mind.  I just wish there was some way to have showcased him and still played Willis....but Henry didn't play well enough to KEEP on the field.....

I know he is capability of much more then he showed this year....it is my hope that some other team that needs a running back saw this as well and comes up with a offer that is fair......

138706[/snapback]

An opposing GM (and I ) could make the case that TH is a broken down RB not likely to have anything left in the tank. How do the Bills prove otherwise?

- If we dont trade Travis....he is gonna hold out.  I dont have a doubt in my mind.  I just wish there was some way to have showcased him and still played Willis....but Henry didn't play well enough to KEEP on the field.....

138706[/snapback]

He still has a year on his contract, he can't hold out. The only way the Bills trade him is if they get fair value, otherwise he can sit on the bench. If they need him, he'll play and he'll give it his best. He knows that's the only way he'll strike it rich. He also knows the more he moans the worse his next contract will be. The Bills have all the trump cards here and if they're wise they'll use them. This is not about making Henry happy, it's about doing what's right for the team. What's right may be to just sit on him until his contract is up.

If we trade TH what do we have to back up Willis? TH has a low cost and will be hungry if he has to replace an injured Willis. I agree with the posters who see the Bills as holding all the cards and that having a starting capable RB on the bench as a requirement for a playoff team. Look at Bettis off the bench in Pittsburgh. Remember Kenny Davis in the greatest comeback game? Keep TH unless the Cowboys will give us back our 1st rd. pick for him.

You also want a backup running back with the ability to come in during special situations. Larry Centers was such a back, because of his ability to catch passes, run draw plays, and overall be a good third down back. You need a guy who can give the defense a different kind of threat than your starting RB.

Problem is, that WM is such a complete back it's going to be hard to find a guy who offers something he doesn't. You want a physical back? WM is your man. You want a guy who can break it to the outside? Again WM. What about catching a pass out of the backfield, or picking up a blitz? WM. You couldn't ask for a better third down back than him.

The only thing we could ask for more of is pass throwing. A nice slash player could give defenses something extra to worry about.