Vote of Confidence in Edwards

It was a smart decision by Nix and Gailey to go with Trent as the starter in 2010. I think that it makes a lot of sense to give him one last chance, especially with a young team that is rebuilding.

The guy was horrendous last year. I get that. I watched the games. But he was put in an impossible situation with decision to gut the offensive line and the total chaos surrounding the strategic direction of the offense. He was shell-shocked. Fitzy was the better player to deal with the protection breakdowns and still go through the progressions.

But Nix and Gailey discounted the disaster of 2009 and focus instead on mid-2007 and early 2008 (including the Chargers game after his concussion) when Trent showed that he can be a top-10 NFL quarterback. He reacted to struggles by throwing coaches under the bus and that hurt him with teammates and led turds like Donte Whitner to jump all over him. That doesn't matter now because those coaches are gone and the losers like Whitner may soon be following them.

Trent could be gone in a year, but at least Gailey will have seen what he needs to see to make that call. He is almost certainly our 2010 starter.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a smart decision by Nix and Gailey to go with Trent as the starter in 2010. I think that it makes a lot of sense to give him one last chance, especially with a young team that is rebuilding.

The guy was horrendous last year. I get that. I watched the games. But he was put in an impossible situation with decision to gut the offensive line and the total chaos surrounding the strategic direction of the offense. He was shell-shocked. Fitzy was the better player to deal with the protection breakdowns and still go through the progressions.

But Nix and Gailey discounted the disaster of 2009 and focus instead on mid-2007 and early 2008 (including the Chargers game after his concussion) when Trent showed that he can be a top-10 NFL quarterback. He reacted to struggles by throwing coaches under the bus and that hurt him with teammates and led turds like Donte Whitner to jump all over him. That doesn't matter now because those coaches are gone and the losers like Whitner may soon be following them.

Trent could be gone in a year, but at least Gailey will have seen what he needs to see to make that call. He is almost certainly our 2010 starter.

You a braave man Gabe.......or foolhardy for posting this. Hope you have a thick skin!

Anyway, where does it say that Trent will be the starter?? Link?

Didn't Nix say that it will be an open competition at QB??

"Removes gun from mouth"

What did you say?

I'm more interested in seeing what Brian Brohm can do. Here's a wacky stat for the day: In his first 3 games as a senior, Louisville QB Brian Brohm had more 300 yd passing games (2) than Stanford QB Trent Edwards had in an entire collegiate career (1). 300 yd games aren't the end all of a great QB, but that stat alone tells you Edwards has never been a gunslinger. He was in fact, a mediocre collegiate QB, playing behind a mediocre OL. Some things never change. Trentative Edwards is not the answer...

agreed. One more shot for Trent. I think he's easily the best qb on the roster... and I met the guy once and he was really cool :wallbash:

I can live with Trent as the starter, but I see him being successful (if at all) only with a much improved offensive line. Wood may not be full strength, and the tackles suck. I hope the new crew has something up their sleeve to improve the line, and with the trio of Lynch Jackson and Spiller doing a ton of running, we might be okay. There is still time and some options to improve the o-line.

After Gailey watches how well Fitzpatrick threw the ball in bad weather against Indy and then pops in a few tapes of the incredible shrinking Trent Edwards in bad weather games, there is no doubt that Fitzy will beat out Edwards when the two finish to a draw after training camp. In Fitzpatrick, Gailey will see a QB with fire, mobility and competitiveness. All things that Edwards lacks. This is why I think his teammates dumped Edwards in favor of Fitzy. Edwards doesn't have the drive or motivation it takes to be a winner in the NFL. Unless Fitzy gets injured, Edwards aint gonna be our starter in 2010.

After Gailey watches how well Fitzpatrick threw the ball in bad weather against Indy and then pops in a few tapes of the incredible shrinking Trent Edwards in bad weather games, there is no doubt that Fitzy will beat out Edwards when the two finish to a draw after training camp. In Fitzpatrick, Gailey will see a QB with fire, mobility and competitiveness. All things that Edwards lacks. This is why I think his teammates dumped Edwards in favor of Fitzy. Edwards doesn't have the drive or motivation it takes to be a winner in the NFL. Unless Fitzy gets injured, Edwards aint gonna be our starter in 2010.

You might want o rethink your position. This from our resident insider - Nevergiveup.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?...p=1802569 post #13

QUOTE (nucci @ Mar 26 2010, 05:32 PM)

Thanks for the info. Question about Edwards. Didn't he lose the team last year? I know there is a new staff but seemed like they all lost confidence in him.

Definitely still well liked and respected by the players. That won't be a problem. No one could have performed well under those circumstances last year. I know it will be painful for people, but it will be interesting to see if Gailey can do anything with him.

There will have to be another QB on the roster. I just don't have enough info to tell you if it will be a vet or a draft pick.

Guest dog14787
Joking aside, I hope not. If a QB can't get it done in 3 seasons he has lost my vote

Do you realize Drew Brees didn't start turning his career around in the NFL until his fourth season and just won a Superbowl.

Considering the total disregard for proper protection and horrendous coaching at the OC position there's only a couple of QB's in the League that would even have had a chance at keeping the team in the playoff hunt over the last three seasons, thats Aaron Rodgers and Big Ben.

You might want o rethink your position. This from our resident insider - Nevergiveup.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?...p=1802569 post #13

Man I hope he is wrong on that one. It's clear to me that Trent Edwards has no fire in the belly and he absolutely sucks in bad weather. In the end it really doesn't matter since neither guy is the long term answer.

Man I hope he is wrong on that one. It's clear to me that Trent Edwards has no fire in the belly and he absolutely sucks in bad weather. In the end it really doesn't matter since neither guy is the long term answer.

never has been pretty damn accurate on most things. I guess I'd trust the coaching staff to evaluate our QB position better than you and Ice.

+1. Good post. It's obviously the smart thing to do. And hey, if one of the other QBs beat him out in Camp, then so be it.

You a braave man Gabe.......or foolhardy for posting this. Hope you have a thick skin!

Anyway, where does it say that Trent will be the starter?? Link?

Didn't Nix say that it will be an open competition at QB??

All this talk makes it sound like Trent has already been named our starter, where was this stated?

The only team Fitzpatrick could have played for in 2009 was the Bflo Bills. We HAD NO offensive coaching staff. He not only will not be our starter, I give him decent odds of being out of the NFL in 2010.

Guest dog14787

Why, because he doesn't scream and throw tantrums, or get in his teammates faces all the time?

Some of the best QB's that ever played the game were very low key and led by example on the football field.

Since things have not gone very well on the football field and with much of the blame going to his supporting cast, like protection, scheming, and play calling for instance, all of the sudden TE's not a good leader.

To say TE doesn't have the fire when he has always given his team 110% on every single play is just not true.