What you want from Buffalo Bills coverage/talk

Hey guys and girls,

Some of you may know me, and some not. My name is Nick Mendola. I used to work at WGR, but recently left to work at WECK. One of my new duties will be hosting a night show when the Yankees aren't on. I'm extremely fired up about this. In fact, I wish I could've made the switch earlier to a Day Two of the draft show.

Anyway, I know you folks have a lot of strong opinions about talk radio. I'm dedicated to doing my show right, so I wanted to ask what you think is missing when it comes to sports radio. The good, the bad, the ugly... give it to me. I'm a big Bills fan but also try hard to be an unbiased reporter (which is near impossible. Probably makes me TOO hard on them, as Steve Tasker once opined about doing color commentary during Bills games).

Finally, if you're interested at all in what inspired my job switch, I've posted an entry at http://www.nickmendola.com

At the site, you can also read my thoughts on all the draft shenanigans. Love some of the picks, worried about some of the others (Very intrigued by Arthur Moats!).

Thanks for the space,

Nick Mendola

nickonweck@gmail.com

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be truthful... I want you, the radio host, to expose the Bills flaws meanwhile still being a fan. I hear Bulldog and all these other clowns and you sometimes wonder if they are really fans or not. They are such pessimists - they remind me of Jets and Patriot fans.

In conclusion - mimic Jerry Sullivan and let your voice be heard! :wallbash:

More call outs than call ins. Interesting guests (go beyond your counterparts, color men ect. in other markets, the talking heads offered up by the big media outlets...)

Bah, never mind, I'm probably in the minority on this. Have fun.

Good luck, Nick.

Thanks for reaching out to us.

I would say two things, both having to do with increasing the substance that one generally gets from talk radio hosts.

1) Well-researched topics. Nothing is more bothersome to a hard-core sports fan than listening to a radio talk show host who is not as fanatic and well-versed on the subjects as the listener himself. The stuff doesn't have to be committed to memory but at least have lots of source material to reference.

I was listening to (I think) a nationally syndicated radio sports show yesterday. Some guy who calls himself "V."

He wanted fans to call in and talk about their favorite NFL team's draft and whether they liked it or not and why. It became clear after about one minute that the guy not only didn't have much knowledge of the draft/players/teams, etc...but he also didn't know what NFL teams drafted which players. Sure the memory can only hold so much but at the very least he might have supplied himself with some draft materials so he could actually conduct a professional show. It was pitiful and if I was the program director, I would have hammered his ass.

Bring a laptop into the studio with you. Look things up. Nothing pisses me off more than cavalier, indifferent, casual commentary. If you don't know a fact that is pertinent to the discussion, look it up on the internet. Look it up during breaks and follow up on it in the next segment.

2) Develop good sources and go-to guests. There are radio hosts, even in small markets, who have the moxy and resourcefulness to develop nationally prominent regular guests. You define yourself professionally in everything you do. If you are hard-working, resourceful, conscientious and have integrity, you can develop a great network of "expert guests" to share with your listeners.

The people in WNY are starved for good, intelligent sports talk. It shouldn't be that difficult to deliver, IMO. If you demonstrate excellence, the listeners will find you. Then it's a win-win-win for the station, its listeners, and your career.

Good luck and thanks again, Nick.

More call outs than call ins. Interesting guests (go beyond your counterparts, color men ect. in other markets, the talking heads offered up by the big media outlets...)

Bah, never mind, I'm probably in the minority on this. Have fun.

Agreed on the part about guests. Not necessarily interviews with players/management, you end up getting a bunch of cliches. But having reporters, analysts, even bloggers is pretty entertaining. They are more likely to say what they really feel.

Some of the best radio, is when Brad has Ruben Brown on. Former player who knows what he's talking about, and isn't afraid to give his real opinions.

If you do take calls, try to avoid calling every third caller a moron. (like a certain former co-worker).

I look forward to hearing some Bills talk on my lunch breaks for a change. (2nd shift) :wallbash:

Nick,

Thanks for asking our opinion.

What do I want?

1. I want a radio host who actually will let the fans drive the show a bit.

I understand that you, the host, needs to be prepared to talk for 3 to 4 hours

and hence needs a subject to hopefully incite enough passion from the listener to

call in. But it would be nice to allow the listeners to be able to talk about whatever

subject they want...even if it is the NBA.

2. When you do pick a topic, it's OK for the listener to agree. Or for that matter,

another host or guest on the show. Nothing worse than pre-manufactured dis-

agreements between hosts, or purposely picking the opposite opinion from what

the listeners have. Happens at the old station a lot IMHO (see afternoons).

Nothing worse than than listening to talk show host who forces their opinion on

the public, and is driven to change the callers mind instead of allowing for the

others opinion (see Tom B.) Their are two sides (and maybe more) to every

topic and it can only help, not hurt, to present them all. I respect others opinions

and heck may even learn something new by listening to them.

3. As for what do I want to hear on the show. Basically local sports talk as if you

were hanging out at a bar with some friends and shooting the breeze. It needs to

be informative with insight someone who is an insider can bring. Also quality guests.

Good luck with the new gig and am looking forward to listening.

Best wishes Nick!

It's already been said, but it can't be preached enough. Truth. Less opinion, more fact. It's much easier to defend the truth and you'll gain respect from your listeners.

Also, a daily -if possible- shout out to local sports ie: High School teams' achievements, human interest stories from the area's sports teams, etc. Get the GOOD word out.

Will the show stream? Plenty of displaced WNYer's out here.

listen to Cowhead and do the opposite.

:wallbash:

Best advice yet. I tried to talk Andy into dumping his show in favor of local programming, but I think GR is contractually obligated to carry it.

For those of you asking about streaming -- yes, WECK has a Webcast:

http://lightningstream.surfernetwork.com/M...n%201230%20WECK

Hey guys and girls,

Some of you may know me, and some not. My name is Nick Mendola. I used to work at WGR, but recently left to work at WECK. One of my new duties will be hosting a night show when the Yankees aren't on. I'm extremely fired up about this. In fact, I wish I could've made the switch earlier to a Day Two of the draft show.

Anyway, I know you folks have a lot of strong opinions about talk radio. I'm dedicated to doing my show right, so I wanted to ask what you think is missing when it comes to sports radio. The good, the bad, the ugly... give it to me. I'm a big Bills fan but also try hard to be an unbiased reporter (which is near impossible. Probably makes me TOO hard on them, as Steve Tasker once opined about doing color commentary during Bills games).

Finally, if you're interested at all in what inspired my job switch, I've posted an entry at http://www.nickmendola.com

At the site, you can also read my thoughts on all the draft shenanigans. Love some of the picks, worried about some of the others (Very intrigued by Arthur Moats!).

Thanks for the space,

Nick Mendola

nickonweck@gmail.com

It's really simple. If you don't understand the game fully or have very little personal experience in sports it will show and aggravate a lot of listeners. There is an overload of talking heads that don't have to be accountable for all there ideas or face losing there job for being dead wrong in their assumptions. Talk radio personalities are no different than weathermen in that regard.

Rely more on emails, text messages, tweets, voice mails, etc. rather than phone calls from listeners if you're going to take input from listeners. Most of the time listeners are too nervous and disorganized with their thoughts. Once I start hearing callers, I often switch to something else.

congrats, hope they stream on the internet so I can catch it.

I think you are on the right track to ask for fan input. The call in shows I like most are on the NFL Sirius/XM station, where they seem to really reach out to people. Just a suggestion but you might want to have as occassional guests some of the more controversial print reporters if hey are willing to come on. Another good person to work with would be KRC and his broad knowledge of Bills history (where are they now people.) Good luck.

NicK, this is a real good place to seek out advice. This message board has a Bills following like none I have seen. There are those who appear to have good insight and there some who wear their hearts on their sleeve. People of all ages and walks of life. You will certainly get a lot of opinions.

What I like to see in Sports Broadcasting is honest commentary about significant plays on the field. You have to know the players playing the game and you have to give your opinions about how they are playing their position. To me, I don't think it is so important for a local sports commentator to be unbiased unless you are seeking to land in the national spotlight. It is OK to let people know you are a fan especially if you truly are. That actually adds more credit, because there is nothing more frustrating than listening to a phony.

It is great to see mentions of incredible plays whether they are good or bad. The key is in giving an honest assessment without worrying about being unbiased. People just respect that more and will frankly enjoy your show more.

First of all gratz on the move.

My only advice is to listen to the NFL channel on Serius and try to emulate that style ... especially shows like the one Pat Kerwin hosts. I appreciate the intellegent football talk without the artificial "drama" of most local stuff.

Look to inform and educate your listeners rather than yell and scream radical opinions to create buzz.

Demand facts and reasoning from your call in people .... if a caller wants to say player X sucks ... ask why he has that opinion .... if a caller says player A is better than player B ask for supporting stats.

Don't let the show turn into a B word fest (or love fest for that matter) without any supporting foundations, keep it an intellegent discussion ... and never ever underestimate the intellegence of your listeners.