Maybin better come out and really dominate this year

And for the record I was in favor of the Mabyin pick but a couple of notes

- HAD we taken Michael Oher last year instead of Aaron Mabin......we would not be having questions about our LT

- We picked up so much defensive talent in THIS draft that we would probably be better off had that happened.

I blame this on Ralph Wilson......we should have canned DJ at the end of the prevous season......promoted Nix......and started this rebuild one year earlier.

Maybin had better light it up this year

- HAD we taken Michael Oher last year instead of Aaron Mabin......we would not be having questions about our LT

- We picked up so much defensive talent in THIS draft that we would probably be better off had that happened.

I blame this on Ralph Wilson......we should have canned DJ at the end of the prevous season......promoted Nix......and started this rebuild one year earlier.

He's only 22, this SHOULD be his rookie year, he's got all the tools and more, a good work ethic, and is going to a much more natural position for him, where his size is an advantage not a disadvantage. The Defensive Coordinator is a former LB coach, and the LB coach is Bob Sanders whom Maybin knows and likes. I would not be surprised at all if Maybin is very good by the end of the year at OLB.

He's only 22, this SHOULD be his rookie year, he's got all the tools and more, a good work ethic, and is going to a much more natural position for him, where his size is an advantage not a disadvantage. The Defensive Coordinator is a former LB coach, and the LB coach is Bob Sanders whom Maybin knows and likes. I would not be surprised at all if Maybin is very good by the end of the year at OLB.

I truly hope that is the case.....because as of right now our offensive line could be

Ohor

Levitre

Wood

Calloway

Meradith

But I really shouldn't dwell on it....lets hope that with bonafide big uglies in front of him Maybin is a beast this year

I truly hope that is the case.....because as of right now our offensive line could be

Ohor

Levitre

Wood

Calloway

Meradith

But I really shouldn't dwell on it....lets hope that with bonafide big uglies in front of him Maybin is a beast this year

While I would rather have Oher on the team than Maybin, he was drafted to play RT and that is where he played well. He wasn't good at all the few games he played at LT. Now, he may develop into a good LT. But the Ravens aren't counting on him being their LT right now, and he's going back to RT unless they get rid of Gaither, which they don't appear at all to be doing.

Or what?

I agree with Promo that with all factors considered, Maybin is now being put in a position to succeed. But realistically I don't think this is "make or break" season for him. He's basically starting from scratch after a poor first season with an entirely knew....well, everything.

As fans we can huff and puff all we want about the mistakes of the previous coaches and front office, but it's not Maybin's fault he was drafted by the Bills with the 11th pick to play a position he wasn't suited for in the NFL. While I'm certainly hoping for it, I have no reason to believe he's going to come out of the gates kicking ass and taking names. He's a young kid learning a new position under a brand new coaching staff and with a lot of new faces around him. That's not a recipe for immediate success. What I realistically expect is to see dedication (in off-season activities and training camp) to learn and steady improvement through the season.

Or what?

I agree with Promo that with all factors considered, Maybin is now being put in a position to succeed. But realistically I don't think this is "make or break" season for him. He's basically starting from scratch after a poor first season with an entirely knew....well, everything.

As fans we can huff and puff all we want about the mistakes of the previous coaches and front office, but it's not Maybin's fault he was drafted by the Bills with the 11th pick to play a position he wasn't suited for in the NFL. While I'm certainly hoping for it, I have no reason to believe he's going to come out of the gates kicking ass and taking names. He's a young kid learning a new position under a brand new coaching staff and with a lot of new faces around him. That's not a recipe for immediate success. What I realistically expect is to see dedication (in off-season activities and training camp) to learn and steady improvement through the season.

I could easily see Maybin getting traded if he stinks it up this year at his new position.

I am not talking about getting 5 sacks a game coming out the gate......he is going to need to grow into the new position but if he is non existent like he was last year I could easily see Nix washing his hands of him. He was not his pick.

I hope all of this is a moot point and with the open space he has to play in he is very disruptive.....I envision a pass rush LB who gets after the QB but will struggle in pass protection till he gets better at that.

Based off what he showed last year, I don't know if he will be starting material this year after only one off-season... but it would be nice if he could at least cause some disruptions on 3rd-and-long situations.

I could easily see Maybin getting traded if he stinks it up this year at his new position.

Anything's possible, but I doubt it. If Maybin does a good job (maybe not tearing up the league, but holding his own), the desire to trade him probably wouldn't be there. If it was, it would be another hole to fill. If he looks lost, stinks it up, and gets benched, nobody's going to want him. At that point you're just eating a signing bonus for almost no return.

I don't see much reason that Maybin doesn't have a couple of seasons to prove his worth. Even with regime changes it not often you see high first round draft picks given up on so quickly. It's not as if Buffalo is right up against the salary cap line, and Nix has said he's not a guy who likes to sign expensive FA's, so there really isn't a monetary reason to get rid of him either.

Anything's possible, but I doubt it. If Maybin does a good job (maybe not tearing up the league, but holding his own), the desire to trade him probably wouldn't be there. If it was, it would be another hole to fill. If he looks lost, stinks it up, and gets benched, nobody's going to want him. At that point you're just eating a signing bonus for almost no return.

I don't see much reason that Maybin doesn't have a couple of seasons to prove his worth. Even with regime changes it not often you see high first round draft picks given up on so quickly. It's not as if Buffalo is right up against the salary cap line, and Nix has said he's not a guy who likes to sign expensive FA's, so there really isn't a monetary reason to get rid of him either.

The only reason why I disagree Faustus is he would eat up reps that they might want to give somebody else to develop.

God I cant believe I have gone from singing Maybin's praises when we drafted him to this......Im going to stop now...:unsure:

While I would rather have Oher on the team than Maybin, he was drafted to play RT and that is where he played well. He wasn't good at all the few games he played at LT. Now, he may develop into a good LT. But the Ravens aren't counting on him being their LT right now, and he's going back to RT unless they get rid of Gaither, which they don't appear at all to be doing.

wasn't good at all the few games he played at LT? what exactly are you basing this on?

one of the game he played LT (and I believe his first) was at Minnesota and against Allen who is considered one of the best pass rushers in the league and although Allen did get a sack Oher played relatively well

the only reason the Ravens were willing to trade Gaither is because they have Oher who would move to LT

and even if he was just a RT he still should have been the pick because its not like the Bills didnt have a hole at RT last year either

Based off what he showed last year, I don't know if he will be starting material this year after only one off-season... but it would be nice if he could at least cause some disruptions on 3rd-and-long situations.

I sadly think Maybin is to slow and does not have the natural instincts needed to be a real effective OLB, he may be cut a year or two from now......I hope I am wrong on this.

More crying over spilled milk? Get to work on that resume.

I sadly think Maybin is to slow and does not have the natural instincts needed to be a real effective OLB, he may be cut a year or two from now......I hope I am wrong on this.

too slow? the one thing Maybin has is speed

the only reason the Bills drafted him as an undersized DE is because of his speed and ability to get to the QB

it is cool and all and I think that he will be able to get to the QB after we develop him more, though that is far from a sure thing. What sucks though is that he will be almost worthless on stopping the run most likely. And that is going to kinda suck. I don't think he was worth the spot we took him in. There were just too many players that brought more to the table. Someone mentioned oher, and I would like to throw cushing out there too. Both those players would have been a lot more help than maybin, both in the long term and short term. And I know people will also say Orpako (sp?) as well would have been a better pick.

Let me see if I've got this right: Maybin stinks it up so much this year that even a rebuilding Bills team can't use him, and you somehow figure they can trade him? Maybe they can trade McCargo for, oh, I don't know, how about Suh? Too bad the Bills don't still have Flowers. He stunk so much we could probably get Adrian Peterson for him.