Truth to Torrel Troup

Nix said he's already at 320#, and since his weight is in the lower part of his body (which is good for a NT), he can add a lot more weight. Cool. He's already strong, benching 225# 34 times, which was tied for 2nd best among the DL at the Combine.

Yes, I believe Troup and Linval Joseph were thee strongest NT's at the combine. Good pick.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Drink the cool-aide dipsheet. Every Year around this time you have Hope. Every year around this time you rationalize the great picks.. The reality of it is that every year that we do not address our REAL BASIC NEEDS is another lost season. I'll make it simple for you since you obviously don't know sheet about FBALL. It all starts with the Offensive Line, Period end of story. Without an Offensive line you could have Joe Montana, Jerry Rice and OJ Simpson and your team will still suck. This team continues to pander to those in the sales department and the need to sell tickets. I'll waive my consulting fee.

You obviously have never watched football if you think that a LT is going to solve the Bills problems. THE BILLS HAD A PRO BOWL LT, WITH HIM AND THEN WITH A REVOLVING DOOR OF SCRUBS, THEY STILL ENDED UP WITH THE SAME RECORD. The Bills aren't going to get some immediate pro bowl starter in the fourth round right now and they aren't going to fix everything in one offseason

I am a senior at UCF and while I like UCF Knights football, it doesnt compare to my sick love for the Bills. However, I have gone to a lot of games throughout my years and I have seen Troup in action a decent amount of times. I know a lot of people/friends of mine are really high on this guy. Says hes a beast and I believe he is as well. He was consistently double-teamed and we had a pretty good defensive running game almost every year. Would free up linebackers a lot and be a real physical player. Tough kid, who did not take many plays off.

My girlfriend also had a bunch of classes with him and said he was a super nice guy. Seemed lazy, but that normal since the guy works out a lot. She also said everyone liked him and he seems really genuine.

Thought I would pass on the knowledge and while i was still very much surprised, i believe this pick will reap a lot of benefits for us. Him and Kyle are very similar and will work well to improve each others game.

Cool, man. That's good to hear.

You obviously have never watched football if you think that a LT is going to solve the Bills problems. THE BILLS HAD A PRO BOWL LT, WITH HIM AND THEN WITH A REVOLVING DOOR OF SCRUBS, THEY STILL ENDED UP WITH THE SAME RECORD. The Bills aren't going to get some immediate pro bowl starter in the fourth round right now and they aren't going to fix everything in one offseason

When the Bills had Peters they still were weak on the rest of the line dipssheet. You heard it here first, the Bills will be out of it by October 1st.

I am fine with Troup, fills a huge hole...but 2nd round? I would love to see some sort of evidence that he would not have been there in the 3rd or 4th round.

Now he has pressure on him to not be a bust since he is a 2nd round pick. IMO he has to be like Vince Wilfork type player or this was a wasted pick.

Um, expecting a second-rounder to be a top-five guy in the league (and Wilfork is), deciding that unless he's top five then he's a bust, it's just unrealistic. Wilfork was picked at #21, and Troup at #41. There are reasons for that.

It would be great if he is a Wilfork type, and he has a chance, but if he's a solid NT, top half of all starting NTs, he would be very much worth the pick.

while Oline is extremely important, to say that it's more important than QB and Dline or even secondary in this day and age is a bit ignorant. Look at the colts oline. Look at the saints oline. Look at the chargers oline, look at the packers oline. Look at the cardinals oline. Look at the steelers oline.

OK, I looked. And what I saw is that the Colts, Saints, Chargers, Packers, and Cardinals o-line are very good. Yeah, they might have one weakness, but overall they're very strong.

We should try to emulate them and get strong o-lines too. The fastest way to do that is to bring in a guy at LT who is a high-round pick. The second-best way to do that is to pick a developmental guy, coach him for two to four years, let the line gel together and then put the developmental guy into aline that already functions well together. The problem with this method is that it takes years and ends up with your QB taking a horrible pounding and possibly even changing from the young Trent Edwards to the present Trent Edwards.

We want a guy whose name has appeared in mock drafts, not a proven prototypical nose tackle who fits our new scheme perfectly!

+10000000

Thank goodness here are bills fans who can see past a 'name'.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. This is my first draft here and I am amazed how many unemployed "GMs" are Bills' fans. Be pissed off, which is your right, but I would rather hear from someone with legitimate insight rather than someone who thinks, "I have never heard of the UCF Knights, so anyone who played there must suck." Finishing third in your online fantasy pool does not mean you are knowledgable in football. I know, my uncle won his pool and he annoyingly calls Chris Johnson "Chad", for f*** sakes.

Good point about Gandy. It was funny watching him stink in those games, but hey, the Cardinals did alot of damage in the playoffs anyways.

Yeah, you can go far with an LT who isn't good (but you'd better not even try with one who's historically bad like Bell), but you have to do things to cover for him. Take your RBs and TEs out of the patterns to double-team. Run screen passes, roll the QB out, draw plays, the usual. But doing all that forces the hand of your OC and weakens the team in significant ways.

You can get away with it, especially if your QB is like Roethlisberger, a tank who just doesn't seem to get injured no matter how much of a pounding he takes, or if he's like Warner, who got rid of the ball so fast that even when the LT was beaten teh ball was gone, to the right place, before the QB had to take a pounding. Of course, having two huge physical recievers who Warner knew could fight for balls didn't hurt either.

Question. Assuming we have a top quality Defensive Backfield, would it not be wiser to force the opposition to throw the football rather than run it on us?

Give that we will face Sanchez and Henne (two QBs that are not elite at this time) I believe we would be better served forcing the jets and dolphins to pass not run. Brady however is Brady.

Drink the cool-aide dipsheet. Every Year around this time you have Hope. Every year around this time you rationalize the great picks.. The reality of it is that every year that we do not address our REAL BASIC NEEDS is another lost season. I'll make it simple for you since you obviously don't know sheet about FBALL. It all starts with the Offensive Line, Period end of story. Without an Offensive line you could have Joe Montana, Jerry Rice and OJ Simpson and your team will still suck. This team continues to pander to those in the sales department and the need to sell tickets. I'll waive my consulting fee.

No, after watching the Bills last year, my biggest problem was that the Bills were weak at the point of attack. Both Offensive and Defensive lines. We clearly picked the Best Player Available to fill our needs. We concentrated on the Defensive side of the ball, which is really a much smarter move. As for the offensive line, you are overstating how bad the line is. We picked up two early round offensive tackles last year who are showing a great deal of promise. The only real position with big question marks is LT. If you actually look to see who was a better pick on both sides of the ball, clearly the 2 defensive linemen Buffalo picked are better than any OT available at that time. Look at the big picture and stop zeroing in on one position. We are upgrading the entire team, not just OLT.

Boolay keeps saying "sheet" in his posts, this is very confusing. I though sheet was something you sleep under or paper or metal. Oh wait, is this your super clever way of swearing without actually doing it? Man thats awesome, it really helps get your point across. My favorite point of yours was complaining about us not addressing needs, while discussing a NT (you know, a major need).

When the Bills had Peters they still were weak on the rest of the line dipssheet. You heard it here first, the Bills will be out of it by October 1st.

Something about the fact that Buffalo has openly admitted it is beginning a serious rebuild led you to believe they would be in the hunt on October 1st. I fully expected Buffalo to be, at best 6-10. You might have been under the delusion that all this team needed to be a SB contender was a new coach and an LT. I say to you, "Hello Princess, Welcome to real life." This team has needs at basically every position except G and DB. Sorry to burst your bubble, but this has been a good draft, expecially in regards to improving the defense to the point where we might be able to stop the run.

THE BILLS HAD A PRO BOWL LT, WITH HIM AND THEN WITH A REVOLVING DOOR OF SCRUBS, THEY STILL ENDED UP WITH THE SAME RECORD.

So, what does that prove? It proves that if you surround one excellent player with a bunch of guys who genuinely suck, you aren't going to have good results. If you didn't already get that, it's hard for me to understand you. Of course a team playing Derrick Dockery at RG in the year he didn't even try, a center platoon of Duke Preston and Melvin Fowler (in a division with three extremely talent nose tackles), playing with Josh Reed as your #2 reciever and Losman in a system made to exploit all his weaknesses playing on and off with Trent Edwards slowly fallling apart, and a mediocre defense even before your best pass rusher is out for the season .... when you have all those weaknesses, of course having a good LT isn't going to get you to the playoffs.

But you appear to have learned the wrong lesson from all this. You should not have learned that having a great LT isn't important. You should have learned that even excellent players can't save rosters filled with extreme weaknesses.

Boolay keeps saying "sheet" in his posts, this is very confusing. I though sheet was something you sleep under or paper or metal. Oh wait, is this your super clever way of swearing without actually doing it? Man thats awesome, it really helps get your point across. My favorite point of yours was complaining about us not addressing needs, while discussing a NT (you know, a major need).

A sheet is also a form of music notation, a rope used to control a sail, and the surface of which curling is played on.... maybe boolay is just a jack of all trades (interchangeable with what you see fit)