TOLD YOU SO!

I said yesterday that Nix would NOT go LT with #9. His drafting philosophy is to take O-Lineman in later rounds. His first pick ever was Tomilson and he did it again with Spiller. Even if Williams or Okung were available, Spiller was his guy. He wants excitement and to sell tickets. we already have 2 backs but he zeroed in on Spiller anyway. Now if we trade Lynch for a 3rd and take a Tackle with the extra pick I will be singing his praises. I would love for them to take either Clausen or McCoy tonight; trade Lynch to provide us 2 thirds where we take 2 tackles it would be one hell-of-a draft no matter what we do Saturday. There is a chance we could get Spiller, Clausen, 2 Tackles, OLB, WR and OG before its all over.

I said yesterday that Nix would NOT go LT with #9. His drafting philosophy is to take O-Lineman in later rounds. His first pick ever was Tomilson and he did it again with Spiller. Even if Williams or Okung were available, Spiller was his guy. He wants excitement and to sell tickets. we already have 2 backs but he zeroed in on Spiller anyway. Now if we trade Lynch for a 3rd and take a Tackle with the extra pick I will be singing his praises. I would love for them to take either Clausen or McCoy tonight; trade Lynch to provide us 2 thirds where we take 2 tackles it would be one hell-of-a draft no matter what we do Saturday. There is a chance we could get Spiller, Clausen, 2 Tackles, OLB, WR and OG before its all over.

I did a mock draft and picked Spiller #9...do you want an internet medal for being right? :D

.. ? I think he just took the best guy available. Don't over think it.

Evidently Buddy Nix made every great pick in SD without input from anyone else. A.J. Smith and John Butler obviously deferred to his omniscience the entire time they were GM's.

Sammy Davis, Toniu Fonoti, Tay Cody, Reche Caldwell, Antoine Cason and Craig Davis were not his picks during his time in SD as well. Nix was a PART of a fine front office in SD that found talent. Giving credit to him for the good picks must be balanced with at least a shred of logic.

Yet again, a look at Buddy Nix's probable involvement in the Chargers' drafts:

Many people here are still not clear on Buddy Nix's role in San Diego.

When Nix arrived in San Diego with John Butler, Nix was initially the Chargers' Pro Personnel Director, meaning he did what Doug Whaley is doing now for the Bills...scouting NFL players.

After Butler stepped away from his duties due to illness and A.J. Smith was promoted, Nix became Assistant GM and Director of College Scouting.

You may want to believe that A.J. called the shots and was a megalomaniac...perhaps he was. But probably Nix, as the Director of College Scouting, had quite a bit of say in the drafts from 2003 till 2008. The drafts that Butler was involved with (pre-2003), Nix probably had very little involvement at all.

Here are the players Smith/Nix selected in the first round from 2003 till 2008:

2003 Sammy Davis DB

2004 Eli Manning (Phillip Rivers) QB

2005 Shawne Merriman Pass Rusher

2005 Luis Castillo DT

2006 Antonio Cromartie DB

2007 Craig Davis WR

2008 Antoine Cason DB

It's not much to go by. Small sample size...and his exact role and amount of clout is also unknown.

Personally, I'm not confident we can predict what position Nix will take in the first round based on past history.

If you say that based on past history, Nix won't draft a tackle, you'd have to say that he is likely to draft....a defensive back. During Nix's involvement the Chargers took 3 first round DBs in 7 years...and took Quentin Jammer in the first round in 2002.

So to the original poster, Buddy Nix didn't "draft" a running back in the first round either.

Just because the Bills didn't draft a tackle doesn't mean you were right.

Nix had two tackles that he would have taken were they available...Trent Williams and Russell Okung. Both were taken by the Bills pick.

You cant even get which board to put this on. This is off hte wall, where we talk about thing unrelated to the Bills, I thought you knew everything... I was wrong...

Thanks for getting my hopes up...