Rank the top Tackles 1-4

What part of virtually every expert saying Bulaga is a RIGHT tackle is being repeatedly missed here by Bills fans?

Possibly this part...

2009 Season - Started 10 games at left tackle, missing three early season games due to a thyroid condition . . . started at left tackle and played every offensive down in 17-16 win over Northern Iowa . . . did not see action in 35-3 win at Iowa State . . . did not see action in 27-17 win over Arizona . . . did not see action in 21-10 win at Penn State . . . started at left tackle and played every offensive down in 24-21 win over Arkansas State as offense gained 420 yards total offense . . . started at left tackle and played every offensive down in 30-28 win over Michigan . . . started at left tackle and played every offensive down in 20-10 win at Wisconsin . . . started at left tackle and played every offensive down in 15-13 win at Michigan State . . . started at left tackle in 42-24 win over Indiana as offense gained 480 yards total offense . . . started at left tackle and played every offensive down in 17-10 loss to Northwestern . . . started at left tackle and played every offensive down in 27-24 loss at Ohio State as offensive line allowed just one QB sack . . . started at left tackle in 12-0 win over Minnesota . . . started at left tackle in 24-14 Orange Bowl win over Georgia Tech as offense gained 403 yards total offense.

2008 Season - Listed as co-first team left tackle following spring practice . . . started at left tackle in 46-3 opening win over Maine as offense rushed for 245 yards and gained 457 yards total offense . . . started at left tackle in 42-0 win over Florida International as offense rushed for 241 yards and gained 512 yards total offense . . . started at left tackle and played every offensive down in 17-5 win over Iowa State . . . started at left tackle and played every offensive down in 21-20 loss at Pittsburgh . . . started at left tackle and played every offensive down in 22-17 loss to Northwestern as offense gained 407 yards total offense . . . started at left tackle and played every offensive down in 16-13 loss at Michigan State . . . started at left tackle in 45-9 win at Indiana as offense rushed for 227 yards and gained 422 yards total offense . . . started at left tackle in 38-16 win over Wisconsin as offense rushed for 254 yards . . . started at left tackle and played every offensive down in 27-24 loss at Illinois . . . started at left tackle and played every offensive down in 24-23 win over third-ranked Penn State . . . started at left tackle and played every offensive down in 22-17 win over Purdue as offense gained 248 net rushing yards . . . started at left tackle in 55-0 win at Minnesota as offense rushed for 222 yards and gained 483 yards total offense . . . started a t left tackle in 31-10 Outback Bowl win over South Carolina as offense gained 328 yards total offense.

link

Bulaga was coached up by the same coaching staff that coached Gallery, that is where some have an issue. I have an issue with him being an average passblocker at the college level, short arms, not a great kick slide nor naturally athletic.

You mean Iowa HC/former NFL O-line Coach Kirk Ferentz???

Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz is widely respected in the NFL for how he coaches his linemen. He was an offensive line coach from the Cleveland Browns and Baltimore Ravens from 1993-98 and is known to be relentless on his Iowa linemen.

Most scouting reports I've read state that it's pretty much a given, coming from a Ferentz-coached Iowa team, that Bulaga will have flawless mechanics and be able to either start at LT immediately, or move there very quickly.

As for the 'short arms', I've read scouting reports describing his 'huge wingspan' (his arms are the same length as Jake Long's and Jason Peters')...

Bulaga is 6'3, 315 pounds and demonstrates good technique. Bulaga is a heady player with a great understanding of how to play his position that comes from playing under head coach Kirk Ferentz. Ferentz was Iowa's offensive line coach in the 80's and held the same position in the NFL for six years before taking the head coaching job at Iowa in 1999.

Bulaga isn't the fastest lineman in this year's draft, but he'll give 100% of himself on every play and is quick and mobile enough to keep up with speed rushers.

Bulaga does a great job recognizing blitzes, stunts and other defensive schemes. He's great in both pass and run protection and will make that second block up field on running plays. Bulaga also takes angles well and rarely lets a defender get an angle or leverage on him.

There are those who consider his 33.25" arms too short, but Bulaga isn't concerned. "I've never really had a problem with my short arms, I guess," he said according to the Des Moines Register. "I never really got myself in a position where I thought, 'Gosh, I wish my arms were longer.'"

link

I think Bulaga is hands down the most overhyped player in the draft. Until this offseason no one here talked about him at all and I heard nothing on him from the draft 'guru's.

Yet most 'draft gurus' rate him as the #2 or #3 OT available in this draft.

Not all that surprising that there was little talk of him until he declared for this year's draft - he's a 3rd year player who didn't red-shirt and is coming out early after his junior year, so it's not shocking that the 'draft gurus' weren't 'talking him up' after his sophomore season. But still...

2008 (Sophomore) Season - Listed as co-first team left tackle following spring practice . . . Second team all-Big Ten by league coaches . . . honorable mention all-Big Ten by league media . . . first team all-Big Ten by Phil Steele's College Football . . . second team Sophomore all-American by CollegeFootballNews.com . . . Hustle Team Award, offense

2007-Named to the Freshman all Big Ten Team by the Sporting News.

High School-Parade Magazine, Prep Star Magazine and East West All American. USA Today second team all American. The IHSFCA, Chicago Tribune and the Champaign News Gazette first team all state, Suburban Catholic Conference and Northwest Herald Area Player of the Year, Chicago Sun Times first team all area, first team all area and all conference.

link

That said, Nix takes him I will back the guy.

I would hope so - he'll keep our QB's back off the turf for the next 10 seasons or so.

I don't believe he will. Yes he was coached by blah blah blah, the same coach and coaching Gallery got.

I stand by my belief the guy is over rated and a right tackle in this league, but if Nix picks him so be it.

All this is moot unless he's there at #9 and the Bills pick him, but comparing Bulaga to Gallery isn't really a good comparison - Gallery was a tight end thruout H.S. and, after his red-shirt season, began as a TE at Iowa before converting to RT, then moved to LT. While he played some TE in H.S., Bulaga was a top OT prospect, started at left guard as a true freshman, was named co-first-team LT as a sophomore, and started every game thereafter at LT (save for the 3 games he missed with the thyroid condition).

Bulaga's definitely more of a true pedigreed LT than Gallery, IMHO.

(That said, if the Bills don't get him, I wholeheartedly agree with you - he sucks.)

and has slower feet, worse kick slide and less athletic than all of them....

That's not even remotely true.

You show me one reference, other than your opinion, where anyone of any credibility has mentioned his supposedly slow feet. I've seen scouts mention that he has inconsistent footwork, but nothing about slow feet or a poor kick-slide. In fact, Bulaga's 3-cone time (typically the best indicator of natural foot speed) was almost a half-second faster than Anthony Davis, and only 0.06 seconds slower than Trent Williams. It was also 0.15 seconds faster than Mike Iupati, who's considered to be an outstanding pulling guard that has good enough footwork to move outside to tackle.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1387566

P.S. Ask Miami how they feel about taking a short-armed, unathletic, prototype right tackle with the #1 overall pick in 2008...I bet they're okay with hit.

I must be missing something on having to get a LT in the #9 spot. At our draft position we should get the BEST at a given position. Getting the 3rd or 4th best tackle with that pick does not add up for me. This team is short on playmakers at all positions. Until this team is a bonafide playoff monster, all positions should be open for a transition. If we get too many great players at a given position then you can move a guy for draft picks, but that is certainly not our problem now.

I must be missing something on having to get a LT in the #9 spot. At our draft position we should get the BEST at a given position. Getting the 3rd or 4th best tackle with that pick does not add up for me. This team is short on playmakers at all positions. Until this team is a bonafide playoff monster, all positions should be open for a transition. If we get too many great players at a given position then you can move a guy for draft picks, but that is certainly not our problem now.

Well for starters, the "best" prospect at another position may not be a better player than the 3rd best prospect at another...

Secondly, the best prospect at the other position may not be from a position we need...for instance, there is no way we take Joe Haden at #9 if he is still there even though he could be the highest rated prospect on the board at #9 (if Cle doesnt take him).

Thirdly, every team ranks players based on their own evaluation...so just because Mel Kiper says he is the best at his position doesn't mean the team feels the same way...

Well for starters, the "best" prospect at another position may not be a better player than the 3rd best prospect at another...

Secondly, the best prospect at the other position may not be from a position we need...for instance, there is no way we take Joe Haden at #9 if he is still there even though he could be the highest rated prospect on the board at #9 (if Cle doesnt take him).

Thirdly, every team ranks players based on their own evaluation...so just because Mel Kiper says he is the best at his position doesn't mean the team feels the same way...

First of all, I pay zero attention to peoples opinions that don't have to be held accountable for their suggestions or ideas. Second, I don't even follow your logic anyway. I am talking top available playmakers in the eyes of the FO, what 1st hand knowledge do you have of Haden anyway? This team needs best player available. I have doubts about the entire team until they "show me the baby".

First of all, I pay zero attention to peoples opinions that don't have to be held accountable for their suggestions or ideas. Second, I don't even follow your logic anyway. I am talking top available playmakers in the eyes of the FO, what 1st hand knowledge do you have of Haden anyway? This team needs best player available. I have doubts about the entire team until they "show me the baby".

Um, did you read what I wrote? Because that is exactly what I said in regards to the no one knows who the FO ranks as their best player available...

And I will make any wager you want that if Joe Haden is there at 9 that we WONT take him...we dont need him at all and it would be fan base suicide by the FO...

And your last statement makes no sense...you doubt the whole team until they show you the baby? So you are saying you blatantly ignore talent and circumstance and favor stat sheets...another Madden junkie

Um, did you read what I wrote? Because that is exactly what I said in regards to the no one knows who the FO ranks as their best player available...

And I will make any wager you want that if Joe Haden is there at 9 that we WONT take him...we dont need him at all and it would be fan base suicide by the FO...

And your last statement makes no sense...you doubt the whole team until they show you the baby? So you are saying you blatantly ignore talent and circumstance and favor stat sheets...another Madden junkie

What's with your fixation on Joe Haden? Or is it a man crush? My original response had absolutely nothing to do with Haden. You response is littered with one massive assumption after another. As far as wagers go you missed that one too. Stake your job on it, that's what I'm referring to. If not you are just another voice that influences 0% of reality. Madden junkie? Your just another frustrated fan that takes this stuff too seriously. My one and only point is that I would like to see the FO stick to best player available. Apparently this idea offends you. If you disagree I respect that, but your assumptions in my mind paint more of a picture consistent with Alphapup. I have a feeling your response will further demonstrate how seriously you take yourself. We are Bills fans after all. Buy the ticket, and take the ride. Sooner or later that ticket will be a winner.

1- Okung

2- Bulaga

3- T.Williams (He will be a RT a good RT but a RT)

4- A.Davis (Has the physical tools probably the best physical tools but he needs to work hard and he might not be capable of doing so at an NFL level really could have catapulted his draft stock with the combine but he actually fell)

I think that out of the 4 tackles in this draft Okung is the only one worth a top 5 pick. Trent Williams will have a solid career at RT but won't work out as a LT which if he is drafted in the top 10 is were he is expected to be. A.Davis is the high risk high reward pick.

Bulaga if he would have come out next season would have been a top 5 pick but he is getting way overscouted. The 3 big knocks on Bulaga are Maxed out (BS argument as he is only 21 years old), he is slow (In college he was vaunted for his foot speed and all of a sudden he is slow) and has short arms (Only legit concern but there have been players with shorter arms who have been pro-bowl caliber LT's). The guy is overscouted big time.

If you look at Oher last draft season was suddenly slow and his dyslexia was suppose to make it so that he couldn't grasp NFL play books and blocking schemes. Despite the fact that Oher was once again vaunted for his speed and his dyslexia didn't stop him from knowing the Old Miss play book and blocking schemes.

What part of virtually every expert saying Bulaga is a RIGHT tackle is being repeatedly missed here by Bills fans?

The part where virtually every experts says that Bulaga is a RIGHT tackle. That part.

I've seen quite a few say MAYBE Bulaga is a right tackle, but very few say that he absolutely is one.

Okung

T. Williams / Bulaga (Bulaga unless Nix has him as an RT)

Campbell

Brown

I think TBD had Oher as an RT last year, which is why they didn't draft him. And I think so far Oher hasn't even come close to proving them wrong.