Getting a Fry Daddy for Draft Thursday

ajzepp

When I was married, we had one of these things but I only used it a couple times. I remember how awesome Farm Rich cheesesticks came out in the thing, though, so I figured this was a good time to get one for myself. I want to have some good stuff to eat on Draft Thursday, so was hoping you guys could chime in with suggestions. Nothing too hard to prepare, cause I'm a Fry Daddy novice...but all suggestions welcome and appreciated!

PS. What is the best way to batter chicken and/or fish? Flour and egg? Corn meal?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like to make a beer batter myself, here's a quick recipe that I use as a base when making batter:

1 12 oz Beer

1 1/2 cups Flour

1/2 tsp Salt

1 tsp Paprika

1 cup Flour

Pour the beer into a large bowl. Sift the flour, salt, and paprika into the beer, whisking until the batter is light and frothy. Before dipping the meat into the batter, cover with flour to get all the moisture off it so the batter with stick better. Then deep fry at 350 til a nice golden brown.

I like to make a beer batter myself, here's a quick recipe that I use as a base when making batter:

1 12 oz Beer

1 1/2 cups Flour

1/2 tsp Salt

1 tsp Paprika

1 cup Flour

Pour the beer into a large bowl. Sift the flour, salt, and paprika into the beer, whisking until the batter is light and frothy. Before dipping the meat into the batter, cover with flour to get all the moisture off it so the batter with stick better. Then deep fry at 350 til a nice golden brown.

Beer batter....didn't even think of that! Nice :thumbsup: I'm gonna use that for some onion rings!

What I really want to do is fry up some chicken strips and then toss them in some Franks buffalo sauce. Most "boneless wings" taste like asss cause all they do is use SEASONED nuggets or strips and throw sauce on them. The seasoning in them doesn't mix well with the buffalo sauce. I had one place that made their own and they were *amazing*. So I want to do the same at home. Do you think the beer batter would work well with that, too, or should I go with a regular batter?

Beer batter....didn't even think of that! Nice :thumbsup: I'm gonna use that for some onion rings!

What I really want to do is fry up some chicken strips and then toss them in some Franks buffalo sauce. Most "boneless wings" taste like asss cause all they do is use SEASONED nuggets or strips and throw sauce on them. The seasoning in them doesn't mix well with the buffalo sauce. I had one place that made their own and they were *amazing*. So I want to do the same at home. Do you think the beer batter would work well with that, too, or should I go with a regular batter?

the beer batter is going to be kinda sweet and spicy (if you choose to add more seasoning) so I don't recommend it for chicken fingers you plan to put wing sauce on. I'd just use a standard batter for that.

i just did wings the other day, baked in oven for 20 mins at 400, then fried till crispy for 5 min@ 375, works great,

or you could do fried shrimp, chicken kiev, chhese sticks, fried mushrooms, etc

I'm really looking forward to wings....I've given up trying to find a good place, so I'm just going to do it myself. Can't wait!

First, fry corn taco shells till crispy[Way better then in the bag] Make Guacamole with just ripe avocados,finely chopped onion, garlic powder and salt.

Now in the same oil[give it a while to come up to full temp.] peeled tiger shrimp rolled in egg and crushed saltine crumbs. Fry no more than 3 minutes. Dip in the same Frank's/butter mix you would use for wings. Delicious.

I like the fry daddy because it is so large you don't get a big drop in temp when you put the food in, but that much oil gets pretty $ for one meal, so I freeze it. Labeled, of course-don't fry potatos in the fish oil!

When I was married, we had one of these things but I only used it a couple times. I remember how awesome Farm Rich cheesesticks came out in the thing, though, so I figured this was a good time to get one for myself. I want to have some good stuff to eat on Draft Thursday, so was hoping you guys could chime in with suggestions. Nothing too hard to prepare, cause I'm a Fry Daddy novice...but all suggestions welcome and appreciated!

PS. What is the best way to batter chicken and/or fish? Flour and egg? Corn meal?

Veggies....yellow squash.....zucchini.....okra

Pickles.....corney dogs....

Sahlens hot dogs......or would that be sacreligous!!!

First, fry corn taco shells till crispy[Way better then in the bag] Make Guacamole with just ripe avocados,finely chopped onion, garlic powder and salt.

Now in the same oil[give it a while to come up to full temp.] peeled tiger shrimp rolled in egg and crushed saltine crumbs. Fry no more than 3 minutes. Dip in the same Frank's/butter mix you would use for wings. Delicious.

I like the fry daddy because it is so large you don't get a big drop in temp when you put the food in, but that much oil gets pretty $ for one meal, so I freeze it. Labeled, of course-don't fry potatos in the fish oil!

Dayum! lol :thumbsup:

Veggies....yellow squash.....zucchini.....okra

Pickles.....corney dogs....

Sahlens hot dogs......or would that be sacreligous!!!

I'm gonna need a bigger Fry daddy!! :thumbsup:

You like this stuff??

I'd prefer regular Frank's, or just add Butter to regular Frank's if it's too strong for you. Didn't like the "Buffalo Wing" Franks sauce myself.

Either way, good luck!! :censored:

I have fried shrimp in our outdoor turkey fryer many times and it may be my favorite fried food. I get the tempura batter that they usually have next to the seafood counter and substitute beer for the water. I then add plenty of Old Bay to the batter. Get decent sized raw shrimp (peel em) and dip them in the batter holding on to the tail. fry till golden brown. I have done a lot of deep frying in my day, and the shrimp are my top choice.

1 12 oz Beer

1 1/2 cups Flour

1/2 tsp Salt

1 tsp Paprika

1 cup Flour

I'd add a 1/2 tsp of baking powder to that batter recipe. It makes the coating a bit fluffier. /no homo :lol: