Kiper Mock Draft

Leonidas

Buffalo Bills

Top needs: T, QB, NT, WR, OLB, RB

First round (9): OT Bryan Bulaga

Second round (41): QB Tim Tebow

Third round (72): WR Damian Williams

Fourth round (107): TE Anthony McCoy

Summary: The Bills should do the smart thing and upgrade at tackle with Bulaga. Even if Jimmy Clausen is still there, Bulaga is a guy who can upgrade the pass protection from day one. I don't see the Tebow pick as a reflection of him being ready. He's not. Someone will reach on his potential. He needs a long time to figure it out, but his intangibles are off the charts and you can't put it past him. Williams is perhaps the most refined route-runner in the draft. McCoy is a pro-style TE out of USC and continues to improve. He has showed an ability to get down the field, not just work underneath.

Please delete if this was already posted.

Buffalo Bills

Summary: The Bills should do the smart thing and upgrade at tackle with Bulaga. Even if Jimmy Clausen is still there, Bulaga is a guy who can upgrade the pass protection from day one. I don't see the Tebow pick as a reflection of him being ready. He's not. Someone will reach on his potential. He needs a long time to figure it out, but his intangibles are off the charts and you can't put it past him. Williams is perhaps the most refined route-runner in the draft. McCoy is a pro-style TE out of USC and continues to improve. He has showed an ability to get down the field, not just work underneath.

Peters was signed as a TE and it wasn't until he was traded that Walker was moved to LT. Jennings could never stay healthy but it will be a real surprise if the OL is not addressed. :lol:

Jonas Jennings spent his rookie year as our RT and then shifted to LT, Peters was signed as a TE, shifted to RT and then switched to LT. Feel free to review at http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/eagles_f...ml/peters_2.htm.Walker played RT his first full year and then played some time at LT when Peters was hurt and pegged to be our LT last year before he was cut.

this was during NFL Live's Draft Duel between Mel Kiper and Todd McShay. by the way McShays pick was if Bruce Campbell is picked in the late first round (which some say we will draft in the 2nd round. McShay said he was slow and not athletic enough to play Left takle

Ummm that's not what he said at all. Bruce Campbell is an athletic freak. Without saying it specifically, he referred to Campbell as a workout warrior and said he just wasn't a good left tackle. I got the impression that he's a more refined Jason Peters coming out of college - someone that had the physical skills but was extremely raw and wouldn't be ready to play in 2010 for sure.

I like his number one pick, but would probably not go with Tebow, not because I don't think he'd be successful, but more because there would be some remarkably good bargains on offensive and defensive line at the second pick, and perhaps the need for a great OLB. The third round would be a wide receiver and the fourth and on would ones where I might possibly consider the best players available for the other needs. We could have a good draft, but I don't see us going the Kiper route.

Buffalo Bills

Interesting. Thanks for posting it.

I don't agree with this move, but I think there's an argument for it.

according to this mock, Bulaga should be playing RT because Tebow is a south paw which equates to his blind side being his right...just saying. :w00t:

Even with lefties, LT is the most important position on the o-line because the best pass rushers are still lining up over the LT whether the QB is righty or lefty. With a lefty QB, the LT stays just as important, but the RT becomes slightly more important - he's still facing less talented rushers, but if they get past him there's a bigger downside.

McShay and Kiper have both said Bulaga might have to be a RT. It also seems Anthony Davis is the Andre Smith of this draft. At this point, it seems if Okung and T. Williams aren't available at #9, I'd look toward getting an OT in the second round instead (maybe Bruce Campbell) and focus on another position of need (maybe NT).

Buffalo Bills

I would have no problem with that draft, as I think all 4 players highlighted would be excellent value where we'd be getting them.

That said, I think it's unrealistic. I'm under the impression that Bulaga will be gone in the top 6, and that Tebow is very, very unlikely to make it out of the 1st round. Same thing with Williams in the 2nd.

I happen to think that the top 3 OTs will all be off the board by the #9 pick, and that the best route would be to take a value player like Sergio Kindle from Texas. He fills a need, and is one of the few 3-4 rush LB prospects that has actually played the position for any length of time (along with Eric Norwood of South Carolina). He's an explosive athlete with tremendous closing speed. I also think he has that great combination leg-plant-shoulder-dip that guys like Demarcus Ware and Terrell Suggs are famous for.

My personal opinion is that this team just isn't good enough to be picky. We need to get the best long-term prospect available, and worry about filling needs once there's a solid foundation of talent here. Whether that talent base lies at QB, OL, DL, LB, etc., is less important than getting good players, IMO. That said, if a guy like Clausen is available, and they're convinced he's a franchise QB, they absolutely have to pick him, since no team without a franchise QB can afford to pass on one.

Just my 1 cent.

If Bulaga ends up playing solidly at LT, Kiper will be wrong.

If Bulaga ends up at RT or G, Kiper will have been right on target.

I can agree on that. Just not sure those guys are qualified to say whether he has what it takes to play LT or not.