For All The People Who Favor Mayock

H2o

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prediction:

Clausen will be there at number 9. I will have a beer in my hand ready to celebrate when Goodell stats uttering, "With the 9th pick in the 2010 draft, the Buffalo Bills select..."

Instead of hearing "Jimmy Clausen" we will hear "Dan Williams".

I’ll get pissed off and my wife, will ask, "who is Dan Williams". I will reply, "Don't really know a lot about him."

I’ll turn off the draft and go to bed pissed off.

It’s going to be Donte Whitner all over again. I can feel it. :angry:

+1

IMO I think Clausen will be a better pro than Bradford. Cant complain about him at 2 let alone 9. The only other players in the draft I would draft over him if given the luxury are Suh/Okung/Bulaga - all of which likely to be gone at 9.

I agree, Delhomme is a stop-gap for one year. Cleveland needs a QB and I would not be surprised if Cleveland takes Clausen.

Senca Wallace perhaps?

No one has mentioned Seattle. I know they paid a Kings ranson to a career third stringer (Rob Johnson, cough, cough) but will that stop them from tarketing clausen? They mentioned on NFLN that Carroll really likes him so they could be a factor. More likely with their second 1st I would guess.

This is absurd. He will be gone by #9 anyway. Wait and see ........

Jimmy Clausen will be the next wannabe, but never was. He won't make the transition to the NFL. He doesn't have the big time cojones needed to step in and step up.... Wait and see....

You hit it right on the head. I was psyched that Ngata was there and......boom, Whitner!?? Last year I was psyched that Oher was there and......boom, Maybin!?? W----T----F

Look at it this way...if the Bills had drafted Ngata and Oher rather than Whitner and Maybin, Dick Jauron would still be the head coach.

See -- there's a silver lining in everything. :angry:

Clausen threw the deep ball great with torn ligaments and a broken foot, he can play in the buffalo weather.

Why do people keep saying this? When did he prove he can play in Jan when college football ends late Nov?

He has small hands which will hurt him when its cold snowing or raining he needs to go somewhere that is a warm weather team not anywhere in the east.

But I will tell you now he is a flop and the proof is the fact he lost 2 times to Navy.

Whoa there 'pard. Being rated the second or third best QB in your draft class has nothing to do with being 'a stud franchise QB.'

Given the debate on Clausen by NFL personnel men and knowledgeable observers like Mayock, I'd pass on this guy. The list of underwhelming first round QB prospects that get hyped in the months leading up to the draft is long--and will likely grow with the 2010 crop.

Beef, beef and more beef in rounds 1-2...

There's a diff between stud franchise QBs and being the second-best QB in your draft class? Yup. Is Clausen both? Yup, IMHO and now Mayock thinks he's a top ten talent too. Whoever gets Clausen gets a stud.

Beef, beef and more beef. With one exception, the Golden Rule of the Draft. NEVER pass on a franchise QB unless you already have one on the roster.

IMHO, that's Clausen.

The debate is on his intangibles, which at the QB position are make or break propositions (Losman, Jamarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler, Alex Smith, Jason Campbell, Byron Leftwich, Kyle Boller, David Carr, Joey Harrington, Mike Vick, and on and on).

Since 2000, there have been 26 QBs taken in the first round. Discounting the 2008 and 2009 drafts, since it usually takes 1-2 years for guys to get productive (unless they have a playoff calibre supporting cast), that total is 21. Of this group, only Aaron Rogers (2005), Manning, Rivers and Big Ben (2004), Carson Palmer (2003), Chad Pennington (2000) are franchise QBs, IMO (a 0.288 batting average).

Even if you put Sanchez and Stafford in that group, the average rises to just 0.308.

Clausen looks like another Brady Quinn to me, so NO, I don't buy the 'YOU ALWAYS TAKE THE QB' argument.

The one thing I'd like to see draft evaluators do is rate players vs. the quality of recent draft classes rather than in a vaccum (i.e., versus only their own class). If every QB in 2010 is a 'meh vs. what it takes to succeed in the position, what good is being ranked 1, 2 or 3...

The fact that picking a QB early is a bigger risk doesn't mean you should avoid it. Just the opposite. Because picking a QB later is a much much bigger risk, with almost no chance of success, and because you HAVE TO HAVE A FRANCHISE QB TO WIN SUPER BOWLS. Avoiding picking a QB may increase your chance of not getting a bust, but it also decreases your chance of reaching a Super Bowl.

There's only one way to minimize the risk of picking a QB, and that's to get your guy early. And you don't have all that many shots at a franchise QB, so if you have a chance, you take it, because you often won't have another.

If Clausen looks like another Brady Quinn, it makes me happy, because it clearly shows that your prejudices are distorting your viewpoint. Quinn and Clausen are not particularly alike. The stats show it, their personalities show it, there really isn't much in which they ARE alike. Honestly, whenever a guy compares him to Quinn, it shows there's something wrong with their evaluative method. Quinn never even began to have a year like Clausen did this past year, and Clausen did it with ligament injuries in his toe.

Prediction:

Clausen will be there at number 9. I will have a beer in my hand ready to celebrate when Goodell stats uttering, "With the 9th pick in the 2010 draft, the Buffalo Bills select..."

Instead of hearing "Jimmy Clausen" we will hear "Dan Williams".

I’ll get pissed off and my wife, will ask, "who is Dan Williams". I will reply, "Don't really know a lot about him."

I’ll turn off the draft and go to bed pissed off.

It’s going to be Donte Whitner all over again. I can feel it. :angry:

that moment would rival Marvs decision to kick the FG vs the giants, as opposed to trying a 5 yards out. Norwood was money 42 and in. We all know how he fared on kicks 45+

I'm praying you're not right. I don't wanna feel that pain ever again.

Why do people keep saying this? When did he prove he can play in Jan when college football ends late Nov?

He has small hands which will hurt him when its cold snowing or raining he needs to go somewhere that is a warm weather team not anywhere in the east.

But I will tell you now he is a flop and the proof is the fact he lost 2 times to Navy.

Ha ha ha ha. Funny stuff. If that's your proof, then you're dead wrong.

He has only played Navy twice in his career, and he's 1 - 1 . He missed the third game. Thanks for playing. Next.

He has only played Navy twice in his career, and he's 1 - 1 . He missed the third game. Thanks for playing. Next.

I like Mayock but a point of caution: he said Robert Ayers of Tennessee was the best defensive player in the draft last year. Ayers who started one season in college, had a whooping 11 tackles as a rookie, and couldn't beat out Mario Haggans for a starting job. Mayock also think Earl Thomas is a better safety than Eric Berry.

I like Mayock but don't get carried away. He never worked for a team and his job is to get people to watch him. That's why you sometimes say outlandish things.

Here is Mayock's final top 20 for last year. I'm pretty sure it was close to last years draft.

I remember him saying that it may take a couple years but he was high on Ayers. We shall see.

He's not perfect, but for the most part close to the mark with his first round predictions.

He was one of the few that actually predicted we would take Whitner @ #8.

The question with Clausen is maturity and leadership, which is hard to put a number on.

Mayock's 2009 top prospects

He has only played Navy twice in his career, in 2008 and 2009 and he has no official record, because players don't have official win-lost records. You may possibly have noticed that teams have 22 people as their defensive and offensive starters and many more play each game, so this makes complete sense. However, with Clausen at QB, Notre Dame is 1 - 1 against Navy. He didn't play against Navy in 2007. Thanks for playing. Next.

Dan Williams is the opposite of Whitner - he's this year's Ngata. This year's Whitner is the safety from Texas. If WIlliams is drafted, you should go to bed very happy. Having a dominant presence at NT would be a great thing.

I love Williams.

But we need a QB even more, IMHO.

so whats your point?

top 10 pick who wont get past 17!

you are not trying to suggest he would be our starter this year are you,because if you are your crazy!

if we dont solve our LT problem we are doomed no matter who plays QB and Rich Gannon said as much multiple times last week on Sirius.

Clauiisen could be a good QB in the NFL some day. we need a LT now. we could get our QB of the future in the second or third round and there would not be a major drop off in talent from clausen. colt McCoy,tebow get my drift.

kirwin compares McCoy to drew brees would you have a problem with that.

my point is clausen is not such a great must have sure thing franchise QB that we have to draft. what we have to have is a LT and if the top 4 are gone @9 i still bet you we dont take clausen.

this team has neglected the lines on both sides of the ball for 5 years,you win in the trenches. this years draft was tailor made for the bills because the strength of this draft is in the trenches. its probably the best in the last 10 years.

you people who want to take question mark QB's,or skill players over linemen are out of your minds!

big people boys,linemen and a lot of them for this years bills draft and we will be a better football team if NIX and Modrak go that way and i believe they will!

Dan Williams is NOT a dominant presence at NT. He has not even played that position! I've seen every one of his games and he is a late 1st - early 2nd round talent at best in a 4-3 defense. He doesn't want to play NT either. Cody is the best NT prospect in this draft by a mile, I don't care if you don't like him with his shirt off. QB or LT at 9 only at this point with CJ Spiller as a possible BPA pick. Then trade the thug.

He has only played Navy twice in his career, in 2008 and 2009 and he has no official record, because players don't have official win-lost records. You may possibly have noticed that teams have 22 people as their defensive and offensive starters and many more play each game, so this makes complete sense. However, with Clausen at QB, Notre Dame is 1 - 1 against Navy. He didn't play against Navy in 2007. Thanks for playing. Next.

Ok so then he is 1-1 the win was at Navy and the lose was at the Golden Dome and by 2 points. If he was a great QB ND would have scored a lot more then 21 points against a team that has no one going to play in the NFL.