What would it take to be good this year?

Alright - I've read enough posts and articles on the Bills to know we all more or less think we're 2-3 years away from really being competitive. Now, my question is, is there a way we could be competing for the division title This Year? What would we need to get, positionally, to do this? Could it happen - that we're in the fight this year?

Conversly, if you're thinking - no way! Then, what makes us capable of competing in a few years? The Jets and Miami have new coaches that seem top shelf, and good, solid teams. And, New England is New England - and has 4 picks in the first 2 rounds this year! These other teams aren't seeming to be getting worse, by any means, any time soon.

So, what do we need to do This Year, to give our team a chance...? We've got, I think, 9 picks.

Alright - I've read enough posts and articles on the Bills to know we all more or less think we're 2-3 years away from really being competitive. Now, my question is, is there a way we could be competing for the division title This Year? What would we need to get, positionally, to do this? Could it happen - that we're in the fight this year?

Conversly, if you're thinking - no way! Then, what makes us capable of competing in a few years? The Jets and Miami have new coaches that seem top shelf, and good, solid teams. And, New England is New England - and has 4 picks in the first 2 rounds this year! These other teams aren't seeming to be getting worse, by any means, any time soon.

So, what do we need to do This Year, to give our team a chance...? We've got, I think, 9 picks.

Well, they face a rough schedule. Holes on the OL, WR problems, QB question marks. A crazy switch to a 3 - 4 defense, which most feel they don't have the current personnel to pull off...I can't see that 9 picks matter that much - few make the cut.

6 wins? Again?

Well, they face a rough schedule. Holes on the OL, WR problems, QB question marks. A crazy switch to a 3 - 4 defense, which most feel they don't have the current personnel to pull off...I can't see that 9 picks matter that much - few make the cut.

6 wins? Again?

OFFENSIVE SIDE

1. Solidify the line (LT Draft Priority #1) and running game (if Lynch leaves or doesn't return to form: add depth)

2. James Hardy needs to make an impact (Gailey will have to design ways to get Evans the ball and Parrish involved)

3. Tight End needs to get up and go!! (Get Nelson the ball!! He was a game changer in college)

4. Edwards needs to feel protected and return to some form of consistency while developing a draft pick (????)

5. Stay healthy and score early and often. (The only time I want to see the kicker is for extra points..)

DEFENSIVE SIDE

6. Get a monster NT that can kick ass and take names. (Draft Priority #2)

7. Get an OLB that can kick ass and take names. (Draft Priority #3)

8. Add depth at LB and DL rotation to keep fresh legs on the field.

9. Maybin needs to find a way to be productive

10. Stay healthy and get mean and nasty to the core on every down. Eye of the Tiger style never say die kinda stuff..

Looks good to me. If they can do all this the Bills would be in every damn game next year. If not 5-11 on the way..

OFFENSIVE SIDE

1. Solidify the line (LT Draft Priority #1) and running game (if Lynch leaves or doesn't return to form: add depth)

2. James Hardy needs to make an impact (Gailey will have to design ways to get Evans the ball and Parrish involved)

3. Tight End needs to get up and go!! (Get Nelson the ball!! He was a game changer in college)

4. Edwards needs to feel protected and return to some form of consistency while developing a draft pick (????)

5. Stay healthy and score early and often. (The only time I want to see the kicker is for extra points..)

DEFENSIVE SIDE

6. Get a monster NT that can kick ass and take names. (Draft Priority #2)

7. Get an OLB that can kick ass and take names. (Draft Priority #3)

8. Add depth at LB and DL rotation to keep fresh legs on the field.

9. Maybin needs to find a way to be productive

10. Stay healthy and get mean and nasty to the core on every down. Eye of the Tiger style never say die kinda stuff..

Looks good to me. If they can do all this the Bills would be in every damn game next year. If not 5-11 on the way..

yep, and I'll add

I look at two currently successful NFL teams and hope the Bills would build a team similar to those two, the NY Jets & Baltimore Ravens. Neither of those two have a superstar QB that is on an elite level...yet. Both are winning games the old fashioned way, run the ball and great defense.

Simply go back and watch that AFC Wildcard game at New England in which winning QB Joe Flacco only threw 4 of 10 for 34 yards. The Ravens running game made Pats fans cry :thumbsup:

First, max importance is to upgrade both tackle positions and the center.

Get a line coach and train him to understand blocking and protection schemes and know the different NFL defenses and get that O line, TE's and RB's all included into proper schemes and technique to protect the QB.

Gailey has stated they will change the terminology which is a good thing considering how Belichick scouts others teams, I'll bet he has a Bills play book and knows every play they have run the last 4 years by heart.

My mind changes quicker than most with this draft and I can see all arguements being valid. At this point in time though my thoughts are that we cant do it all this draft so I would concentrate on one side of the ball. If you concentrate on defence I would pick up a pass rushing OLB first, either select Derrick Morgan or trade back a little for an extra second and select Brandon Graham. Get a NT in the second (Cody may be gone so Cam Thomas could be had hopefully). If you have an additional second get Spikes here. You could get Washington in the third (I know what he's done in the past but lets move on. first round talent in the third!) and hes got a year to bed in (pardon the pun) ready for the offensive push next year. I for one think we will see a different Maybin this year. He was always a project and should never have been taken at 11# but that doesnt make him a bad player. Lets see what he does this year first.

First off, don't panic. The Sabres just won the division with virtually the same team that missed the playoffs last year. A key addition here and there will make a big impact. Concentrate and running the ball and stopping the run. Build for that and the QB situation automatically improves (as someone on this thread pointed out...see Flacco and Sanchez) Build inside out and we will be a team to be reckoned with.

Since only so much impact can be expected from this year's draft, we have to look at who's on the roster that may be key players. Here's a possible start, this is a lot to have to go right, so we should expect a poor season...

Offense

-- QB, HUGE issue, I'm just not sure Trent Edwards can stay free of injuries and doesn't have damaged confidence to enable throws downfield

-- WR, Hardy / Johnson, one of them has to step up big

-- OL, Wood has to be able to return from injury and further improve

-- OL, Rookie Pick or Bell needs to be able to play LT well

Defense

-- LB, Maybin needs to be able to convert and excel at OLB

-- CB, McKelvin needs to be able to return from injury and be shutdown corner

Special Teams

-- We need to get McKelvin and Parrish back to having a big-time return game

Coaching

-- We need far better in-game decisions than we've seen from our last 3 head coaches,... use of time outs, 2 minute drill and half time adjustments

-- Strength/conditioning coaches fix the overwhelming injury problem on the last few years and very few lost game injuries of starters/key reserves

How's that for a list to start?? If we can do all that, we'll be good

yep, and I'll add

I look at two currently successful NFL teams and hope the Bills would build a team similar to those two, the NY Jets & Baltimore Ravens. Neither of those two have a superstar QB that is on an elite level...yet. Both are winning games the old fashioned way, run the ball and great defense.

Simply go back and watch that AFC Wildcard game at New England in which winning QB Joe Flacco only threw 4 of 10 for 34 yards. The Ravens running game made Pats fans cry :thumbsup:

First, max importance is to upgrade both tackle positions and the center.

Get a line coach and train him to understand blocking and protection schemes and know the different NFL defenses and get that O line, TE's and RB's all included into proper schemes and technique to protect the QB.

Gailey has stated they will change the terminology which is a good thing considering how Belichick scouts others teams, I'll bet he has a Bills play book and knows every play they have run the last 4 years by heart.

The Ravens were so Nasty last year in that playoff game against the Pats! Talk about killing the giant with no mercy. I would love it if the Bills could get to that level. As for the Jets.. Don't even remind me. Those boys can play. I think they will be a harder match up in the future than the Pats, although the Pats have more draft picks than god this year. Truth is though the Jets have learned how to play as a team with confidence and consistency. That can go a long ways.

For the most part our Defense was able to keep us in our games last year. We had crap offense, which wouldn't score points and keep our D on the field until they tired and couldn't hold any longer.

If Gailey can put a competent offense on the field this year I think we'll do just as well if not better. Maybe I'm far too optimistic.

I don't think the Bills are 2 - 3 years away from being competitive. They have already been "rebuilding" for eleven years and have done nothing in the last four months to inspire hope that they will ever be good again. They will be competitive, but not under this ownership. So my answer to your question is...

The team could be good next season IF a new owner takes over and plows a lot of money into trading for half a dozen very good players. The trouble with the "Snyder Syndrome" is if you want to load the team with stars now, you would have to mortgage away its future competitiveness (draft picks). It is a very risky strategy. But if a new owner acquires the team and is dedicated to building a consistent winner in a reasonable manner, then the clock starts ticking and in 2 - 3 years the Bills would be competitive.

Here's the scenario:

Ralph Wilson is visited by three ghosts during the night. They convince him that he must sell the team now. A group of "white knights" buys the Bills and vows to keep them in Buffalo and get a Super Bowl. Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas give several "I told you so" speeches and there is pandemonium in western New York. The local version of the movie Groundhog Day finally ends as the fans wake up and notice something different is happening at one Bills Drive. It's fun to root for the team again (win or lose) because there is hope for the future. :thumbsup:

Eliminate game-changing mistakes. This team has found too many ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory over the last several years, offensively, defensively and through bad coaching decisions. Stop the stupid mistakes and decisions and this team would be respectable. Playoff material? Maybe, maybe not. But they would no longer be embarrassing to watch.

Since only so much impact can be expected from this year's draft, we have to look at who's on the roster that may be key players. Here's a possible start, this is a lot to have to go right, so we should expect a poor season...

Offense

-- QB, HUGE issue, I'm just not sure Trent Edwards can stay free of injuries and doesn't have damaged confidence to enable throws downfield

-- WR, Hardy / Johnson, one of them has to step up big

-- OL, Wood has to be able to return from injury and further improve

-- OL, Rookie Pick or Bell needs to be able to play LT well

Defense

-- LB, Maybin needs to be able to convert and excel at OLB

-- CB, McKelvin needs to be able to return from injury and be shutdown corner

Special Teams

-- We need to get McKelvin and Parrish back to having a big-time return game

Coaching

-- We need far better in-game decisions than we've seen from our last 3 head coaches,... use of time outs, 2 minute drill and half time adjustments

-- Strength/conditioning coaches fix the overwhelming injury problem on the last few years and very few lost game injuries of starters/key reserves

How's that for a list to start?? If we can do all that, we'll be good

this. we show the commitment to the run with the upgrade at the line. we have two backs that could run for 1000 yards each next year. keep our defense off the field and the other teams offense off the field. its about the best chance we have