what's wrong with claussen?

If we draft him, I hope you're right and I'm wrong. But I've heard similar stuff about Cutler. The reason he didn't win in Denver was because of the defense. However last year showed that Cutler was a huge reason why his teams didn't win. At some point, a QB needs to have the finger pointed at for his team not winning. And in Cutler's case, he hasn't won since high school.

cutler is sloppy with the ball and over relies on his huge arm, why do you think he threw 20 picks last yr. thats not clausen at all. you want the cutler clone of this yrs draft, its jevan snead.

pros is pros, college is college, but clausens production and numbers were just as good as the 3 guys that won in college, only difference was the defense, clausen had no help on D cause Weis didnt recruit good Defensive players, Brown, stoops and meyer are all much better recruiters and it showed.

Clausen made the choice to go to the guy that would best prep him for the pros. I'll take the guy thats polished and hard working over the gimmick boys that won.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's one thing to do that in college when you're the superstar QB and older than the other players (he's 23). It's another thing to do it in the pros when you're the highest paid in team history without proving a thing. His teammates, grown men, will have a little jealous at Clausen automatically. If tries to boss around a guy like Marcus Stroud, that won't go over well.

Clausen confuses the hell of me. I know this team needs a franchise Qb badly. however, I've never heard this many questions about a 1st round QB. Shanahan, Holmgrem, and Carroll all went in different directions. Personally, I want the safer pick of a LT or NT. Considering there will be a better class of QBs in the draft next year, I won't force the issue this year.

Whiffing on a top 10 QB could kill this franchise for good.

What makes you think that the Bills will be in position to draft a franchise qb high in next year's draft? What happens if the Bills are drafting in the 9-15 range again? Will a franchise qb be there for us.? Let's face the ugly truth that the Bills are presently closer to being an expansion team than a playoff team. Isn't it better to get a franchise qb sooner if that type of player is available?

If our front office doesn't believe that Clausen warrents being taking with the ninth pick then I'm fine with that. But if they have him ranked high on the board then they should take him. Clausen is the type of player who is a worker and he isn't tolerate of other players who are slackers. Having a qb who is not afraid to assume a leadership role is the type of player I want for this very dismal franchise.

And that destroyed that season. But the big difference is that Kelly was already a pro bowl QB who was around 30 years old. A cocky kid getting paid more than guys who have been in the league 5 or more years, who couldn't win at Notre Dame (I know it's not all his fault but still), IMO won't go over well in the lockerroom. See Troy Vincent, one of the msot respected players in the NFL, sending a "message" to Losman.

That was such a load of ****, old school BS like that should not be tolerated, he could've ruined JP's career before he ever got a chance. I dont care what his excuse is, you dont intentionally hurt guys on your own team, its counterproductive to the team goals. F*ck troy vincent

If I was the Rams, I'd draft Suh or Okung. I'm not a huge fan of Bradford either and a workout in shorts doesn't change that. He still has taken a hit and the Rams have an awful oline.

Personally, I'd take the safer pick than roll the dice with a QB from this class in the first round. The strength of this draft is offensive and defensive tackles. I'd like to get one good of each. I don't feel great coming out with the 2nd best QB of one of the worst classes in years. Especially, when I believe there is a very special class of QBs coming out next year (Locker, Mallett, and Pryor). Just my opinion.

You may not be in a position to draft any of those QBs you like better next year. Then what? You may very well be in a position to draft JC this year.

I agree though if you think the guy is just not a good candidate, you don't draft him. Maybe that is where we diagree. I think he is a good risk.

Re Bradford, had he come out last year many think he would have been chosen ahead of Stafford. Do you like Stafford (with the benefit of one year hindsight)?

If he is not injury prone, and if he can learn to take snaps under centre and still see the field, Bradford is a better prospect. Both Bradford and JC can make all the throws, but Bradford makes them better, and he has better size. The is a reason he is going #1. But I love JCs feistiness and its not as though he is without an excellent skill set. I expect him to have a good pro carreer. He is a fine QB and more ready than Bradford.

What makes you think that the Bills will be in position to draft a franchise qb high in next year's draft? What happens if the Bills are drafting in the 9-15 range again? Will a franchise qb be there for us.? Let's face the ugly truth that the Bills are presently closer to being an expansion team than a playoff team. Isn't it better to get a franchise qb sooner if that type of player is available?

If our front office doesn't believe that Clausen warrents being taking with the ninth pick then I'm fine with that. But if they have him ranked high on the board then they should take him. Clausen is the type of player who is a worker and he isn't tolerate of other players who are slackers. Having a qb who is not afraid to assume a leadership role is the type of player I want for this very dismal franchise.

well put. I think the Bills are gonna be much better than last year, just because they got rid of so many clowns. Problem is, much better for this team is about 3 more wins,and a drafting slot in the upper-teens. They won't have a shot at the top rated Qb's next draft.

I'm so confused

so are they an expansion team which will not win many games and be in position to draft a real QB next year

or they a decent team right now that could really use help THIS year from the #9 pick in the draft but instead should take a huge risk on the overhyped Golden Domer who won't help a damn this year.

I'm so confused

so are they an expansion team which will not win many games and be in position to draft a real QB next year

or they a decent team right now that could really use help THIS year from the #9 pick in the draft but instead should take a huge risk on the overhyped Golden Domer who won't help a damn this year.

They are on the cusp of mediocrity, which will leave them in no-mans land when it comes time to pick a top talent QB in next years draft.

It's not that confusing, or complicated.

I'm so confused

There is no need to be confused if you fairly assess the talent level on this team. You can be a very mediocre team and still have 5-7 wins. That might put you in the the 6-10 drafting range. Will a premier qb be in the next draft for us in that drafting range? Who knows for sure?

Why do you consider JC over-hyped? Most scouts have him securely ranked as the #2 qb in this draft. When assessing Clausen you have to consider the fact that he played with very debilitating injuries, broken toe and torn ligament, in his foot. Off the football field he wore a boot all year long. Are you going to question his toughness? Are you going to question his work ethic?

Repeating what I previously stated, if the Bills scouting department have a lower evaluation of him than his draft position, then pass on him. The Bills have been without an impact qb since the departure of Jim Kelly. In my view if you have an opportunity to get that position solidified, the most important position on the team, then you go ahead and do it.

The Bills are still YEARS away from participating in the playoffs. Currently, we are the worst team in our own division by far. Until a legitimate franchise qb is established for this struggling franchise the Bills will continue to be on the outside when the playoffs start.

ok, first off, ALL THE QBS at the top of this draft have injury histories, In fact Clausen is the one who played thru them, Tebow, concussion out of game, Mccoy, in the big game takes a baby hit, pinches a nerve, he's gone, and bradford, 2 of the only sacks he ever took at oklahoma resulted in injuries. So what are the options?????

I still dont get how you can say he can be blamed for not winning, the guy played great and the D, which didnt have anywhere near the talent of a texas or florida, was simply pitiful. I dont care how inspirational a guy is, if he's preachin to a bunch of talentless bums, it wont matter at all.

Bottom line is that despite all the critics, and idiots like todd mcshay, Clausen is the best in this draft, hopefully we will get him, and all you skeptics will be shut up for a while. Its unbelievable that we very well could get our franchise QB and some ppl want to make up every possible excuse not to take him

You are probably right that Clausen is the best QB in this class. You are also probably right that all the QBs in this draft class have significant injury history.

However, what this all adds up to is that drafting a franchise QB is a difficult thing to do even without the injury history of this class and as far as this group of QBs there is a strong case to be made for passing on them all.

When you factor in the three points that virtually agree on:

1. This Bills team has a ton of needs so taking the second (or even the third best) LT likely gives you more bang for the buck than the second or third best QB

2. One of our areas of great deficit is on the OL which will play a central role in protecting this young QB and giving him the needed time to develop.

3. The switch to the 3-4 puts a premium on a wide body DT and we not only need a starter at this position but a back-up.

all put a very heavy premium on using the #9 on the best available LT or if a run goes on that position likely leaving the best available NT as primary needs for this team to merely be adequate much less protect the young QB so he can in fact survive to become a vet or simply not only put a ton of pressure on him to win but do this having him face well rested Ds as our own D is not gonna be reasonable at all in stopping the run.

Its not just a worry about Claussen no matter how good he was being incapable of leading ND to Os or at least the postseason but the worry that this Bills team is not talented enough to be reasonable teammates for a learning young QB.

Why do you have such faith in this Bills team which is 0 for the decade in playoff appearances that they are going to be near adequate enough for any young learning QB to put them over top without reinforcing the trenches.

So what you are saying is because those guys, who have nothign to do with Clausen "suck". This means Clausen will suck.

Yet you counter your own argument by saying there will be Qb's next year with numbers who will be compared to the others and be good...

No, I'm not saying that at all. Read again.

You could just as easily insert EVERY QBs name into that sentence, but decided to focus on Clausen. Your argument remains the same if everyone's favorite QB this year - Sam Bradford - is inserted into your sentence. The performance of one human being, in no way correlates to that of another. We are all individuals and you have just as much knowledge as I do whether or not Clausen will succeed or fail - 0. At some point, our young QB is going to have to take the reigns of this team - would you rather it be now, or 2 - 3 years down the road?

It doesn't matter if the ProBowl is a popularity contest - I'd take any of those ProBowl QBs over our QBs, before I take any of those ProBowl LTs...

Do you read and understand English?

If so, your post does not prove that.

Yes Sam Bradford fits into the blank.

What do you think will happen if the Bills draft Sam Bradford? We go to the Super Bowl every year? If so the Bills should trade every pick from now until eternity to pick Sam Bradford.

The point is the franchise needs some help before they pick a guy that can toss the pig skin.

There's no debating the greatness of these QB's (minus McNabb). Just saying it is clearly, factually incorrect that they "willed their teams to win" or "carried them on their shoulders to victory". Just nonsense.

If all the teams that need a franchise QB are waiting to pick a "one in ten year QB", logic should tell you that none will likely ever draft one.

1.) There is no existing measure of will. If there were that would be a bazillion more times important than 40 time. Therefore it cannot be factual or non-factual.

2.)You are correct; if everyone just waited for "one in ten QB" then none will be drafted in the first ten picks!!!; BUT QBs WILL BE DRAFTED IN THE 2ND 3RD and 6TH (Tom Brady) and they will prosper if the franchise is prepared for them.

I suggest you not try too hard. You may give yourself a headache or become disoriented perhaps. But let me see if I can help you.

There are two reasons why you should stop trying to figure it out. Firstly, if I truly know for a fact the alleged victim is 17 years old in that picture there is no way for you to know why or how I know that. Secondly, I may not know for a fact that he is 17 years old in that picture, which by the way happens to be the case. This is yet another reason why you will never figure out how I know he is 17 years old in the picture.

I visit a lot of message boards and by now I must have seen this picture, and associated negative commentary, 100 times. I have by the way seen the reference to his age in the pic as 17 more than once. Not that the precise number 17 means much to me, but it does seem about right and more importantly illustrates that Clausen and his buddies were just young kids horsing around when the picture was taken. So what is the relevance you say? Well the pic seems to have been relevant to the many who have circulated it with ridicule and serious pejorative comment.

Maybe your point is that I should not assert a fact based on hearsay, in which case I would say you are a hard task master, professor.

Now if you still don't get it there is nothing more I can do for you. Adios.

- Child Molester's speech before being arraigned.

It's one thing to do that in college when you're the superstar QB and older than the other players (he's 23). It's another thing to do it in the pros when you're the highest paid in team history without proving a thing. His teammates, grown men, will have a little jealous at Clausen automatically. If tries to boss around a guy like Marcus Stroud, that won't go over well.

Clausen confuses the hell of me. I know this team needs a franchise Qb badly. however, I've never heard this many questions about a 1st round QB. Shanahan, Holmgrem, and Carroll all went in different directions. Personally, I want the safer pick of a LT or NT. Considering there will be a better class of QBs in the draft next year, I won't force the issue this year.

Whiffing on a top 10 QB could kill this franchise for good.

This is the smartest, most apropos post I have ever read in the history of every message board I have ever read.

Biscuit, I was sad when you went to the Colts but now I'm glad you're back.

You are probably right that Clausen is the best QB in this class. You are also probably right that all the QBs in this draft class have significant injury history.

However, what this all adds up to is that drafting a franchise QB is a difficult thing to do even without the injury history of this class and as far as this group of QBs there is a strong case to be made for passing on them all.

When you factor in the three points that virtually agree on:

1. This Bills team has a ton of needs so taking the second (or even the third best) LT likely gives you more bang for the buck than the second or third best QB

2. One of our areas of great deficit is on the OL which will play a central role in protecting this young QB and giving him the needed time to develop.

3. The switch to the 3-4 puts a premium on a wide body DT and we not only need a starter at this position but a back-up.

all put a very heavy premium on using the #9 on the best available LT or if a run goes on that position likely leaving the best available NT as primary needs for this team to merely be adequate much less protect the yo+ung QB so he can in fact survive to become a vet or simply not only put a ton of pressure on him to win but do this having him face well rested Ds as our own D is not gonna be reasonable at all in stopping the run.

Its not just a worry about Claussen no matter how good he was being incapable of leading ND to Os or at least the postseason but the worry that this Bills team is not talented enough to be reasonable teammates for a learning young QB.

Why do you have such faith in this Bills team which is 0 for the decade in playoff appearances that they are going to be near adequate enough for any young learning QB to put them over top without reinforcing the trenches.

+1

Do you read and understand English?

If so, your post does not prove that.

Yes Sam Bradford fits into the blank.

What do you think will happen if the Bills draft Sam Bradford? We go to the Super Bowl every year? If so the Bills should trade every pick from now until eternity to pick Sam Bradford.

The point is the franchise needs some help before they pick a guy that can toss the pig skin.

I read and understand English perfectly well thank you. Do you understand what YOU wrote in YOUR own post?! Obviously not! You compared Clausen to all of the other failure QBs who have been drafted and stated nonsense, "all of these QBs looked as good, or better". It should tell you something when more than one person responds to your idiotic post and gathers the same message from it. Maybe your intention was misconstrued, or maybe you're just an idiot who needs to go back and study "main idea". Frankly, I don't care. The biggest help this franchise needs, is some one who CAN toss the pig skin!! What about that do you not understand?! Some people like punishment and enjoy seeing their team lose every Sunday. When the OL had Jason Peters trotting out to protect Edwards' blindside, why did he STILL suck when given time?! I give in - let's go into next season with Fitzpatrick and Edwards set to battle it out once more. According to you, these QBs just need some help.. :thumbsup:

I agree that a stud QB (and to some extent a D captain who refuses to lose) can actually have an impact on the other unit though he is not on the field. This comes in tangible ways in that a QB that routinely produces 3 and outs is gonna exhaust his defensive team because they are in for more plays.

It also comes in intangible ways in that we have all seen QBs who when given any time at all on the clock prove able to lead their team back for the winning or game tying score. His D unit knows this and rather than essentially giving up if they get more than a TD down at any point in the 4th quarter the D does everything they can to keep the game close knowing that all they need to do is give Favre, Manning, (or even Doug Flutie as much as some folks hate him he did just win a lot.

To some extent this is why I think that folks are simply overlooking some things when they ask what stats show a fault with Claussen methinks one need only look at NDs W/L last year to know that yes Claussen threw well but the team Weis did the planning for and he was the primary on field leader simply failed badly.

Was Claussen at fault?

No. He clearly ran an effective O.

However though he cannot be reasonably blamed for losing I think he can be blamed for not winning.

Unfortunately the situation the Bills find themselves (and us) in is that we need a QB that is going to need some serious reinforcements or he will have to carry the team and protect himself as well.

I simply see no indications that Claussen is going to be able to do this. As in college even if he plays well he never showed he has the ability to inspire or even force his teammates to be even adequate. In fact since he unfortunately showed he can be hobbled by the big hit unlike the best of QBs who seem to be immune to big hits or who get rid of the ball all the time so the hits are avoided taking Claussen while the OL is questionable or the DL seems to have an even bigger need for a wide body (or two) with the switch to the 3-4 depending on a rookie to go it alone without help sounds pretty risky.

If we end up with Claussen I feel like it will have happened due to bad luck because there was a rush on LTs and thus we settled for Claussen. I will be bummed but hope the best though all logical reasoning says expect the worse if this is the choice.

I disagree with the bolded statement. It was glaringly obvious that ND's offense was always a threat to score, despite the lack of an offensive line. That gave the team the potential to come back, even if it was down by a score or three. If individual defenders decided to slack off a little anyway, their decision can in no way be blamed on the quarterback.