Mike Lombardi- Bills are going nowhere with current QB's

On Sirius radio with Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwan, Mike Lombardi was talking about destinations for McNabb, and said that Buffalo should have been pursuing him months ago. Trent Edwards is leading them nowhere, and unless they're banking on Clausen being there at 9, there have nothing on their team that can excite the fan base and lead the team.

When they were talking about Clausen they said a lot of his stats came on crossing routes over the middle to Tate, and he doesn't show elite accuracy on downfield throws. Also questioned his leadership ability and commitment level.

All 3 hosts agreed the Bills are in the best position to make a move on McNabb, but if McNabb doesn't want to come here, he can pull a Richard Seymour and refuse to sign a long term deal...and unlike the Raiders, no other team would trade premium draft picks for a 1-year player.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On Sirius radio with Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwan, Mike Lombardi was talking about destinations for McNabb, and said that Buffalo should have been pursuing him months ago. Trent Edwards is leading them nowhere, and unless they're banking on Clausen being there at 9, there have nothing on their team that can excite the fan base and lead the team.

Thank for rehashin ad nauseum. We all know there is nothing exciting about this team. We get it. But, it aint like the Bills are a player or two or three from title contention. So, what would McNabb bring to this POS team? Even if the Bills head in the right direction plus sign McNabb, they're at least three full seasons from serious contention. By then McNabb will be 36-37 (depending on whether or not there is a season in 2011) and nothing left.

It's better that the Bills just focus on drafting good players, playing the young guys, and finishing 5-11 with them. At least they'll have a good shot at getting a much better QB next year than there is in this draft.

What point are you trying to make with Seymour?

As far as I know, he signed a long term deal to stay with the Raiders.

Seymour didnt want to go to Oakland, got traded there w/ 1 yr on contract. he since got slapped w/ Franchise tag.

It's better that the Bills just focus on drafting good players, playing the young guys, and finishing 5-11 with them. At least they'll have a good shot at getting a much better QB next year than there is in this draft.

You are right on the mark. The Bills need to build the team the right way, which means through the draft. Getting an older player, such as McNabb, who is on the down side doesn't make sense for him or the Bills. Bulk up the OL and DL and then work out to the skill positions.

The Bills wasted three years in their rebuilding process under Levy and Brandon because they didn't have a clue on how to construct a team. With McNabb, even if he gave the team a boost, it certainly wouldn't be enough to move us ahead of the other teams in our own division. What happens to McNabb if the league is interrupted by a labor and management work stoppage? An older player (McNabb) gets older while sitting on the sidelines waiting for a settlement.

Will the Bills be a playoff team next year? Absolutely not. Will they be a playoff team the following year? Absolutely not. The year after? Probably not. But not making the playoffs doesn't mean that the foundation for the team's future success can't be established.

Or not.

There's simply no way of knowing or predicting, really. You can pretend you know, but that's all you're doing.

A team should never mail it in for one year in hopes for the following year, they should want to win every year. There are possibly no tomorrows in Buffalo with this team, Ralph could die at anytime. WIN NOW....get a proven QB!

I don't think the Bills are out of the hunt already...they can field a team good enough to go 10-6 easily...they aren't as far off as everyone seems to think...they say TE sucks...not really...we have two VERY good backs that were COMPLETELY under used last season...Freddy got a whopping 14 carries a game last season and Lynch had less...give them both 20 carries and see what happens...On defense we are fielding solid players to mix in with the playmaking talent in the secondary...we are not nearly as bad as people think...if we stay healthy we are a playoff team...we gave the pats everything they could handle this season, as well as the Jets...the only team that beat us handily in our own division was the one game with the Phins...then outside the division we didn't get slaughtered very often either...Browns, Saints both come to mind with a few plays we win...I think we're going to be very competitive and saying we NEED a different QB right NOW...is just stupid

You are right on the mark. The Bills need to build the team the right way, which means through the draft. Getting an older player, such as McNabb, who is on the down side doesn't make sense for him or the Bills. Bulk up the OL and DL and then work out to the skill positions.

The Bills wasted three years in their rebuilding process under Levy and Brandon because they didn't have a clue on how to construct a team. With McNabb, even if he gave the team a boost, it certainly wouldn't be enough to move us ahead of the other teams in our own division. What happens to McNabb if the league is interrupted by a labor and management work stoppage? An older player (McNabb) gets older while sitting on the sidelines waiting for a settlement.

Will the Bills be a playoff team next year? Absolutely not. Will they be a playoff team the following year? Absolutely not. The year after? Probably not. But not making the playoffs doesn't mean that the foundation for the team's future success can't be established.

I couldn't agree more with everything you are saying about rebuilding and what the levy , brandon era left behined , but we are talking about 1 second round pick. If that is truly the price. 1 second round pick is not going to do much to speed up or slow down the rebuilding process. .

I don't think the Bills are out of the hunt already...they can field a team good enough to go 10-6 easily...they aren't as far off as everyone seems to think...they say TE sucks...not really...we have two VERY good backs that were COMPLETELY under used last season...Freddy got a whopping 14 carries a game last season and Lynch had less...give them both 20 carries and see what happens...On defense we are fielding solid players to mix in with the playmaking talent in the secondary...we are not nearly as bad as people think...if we stay healthy we are a playoff team...we gave the pats everything they could handle this season, as well as the Jets...the only team that beat us handily in our own division was the one game with the Phins...then outside the division we didn't get slaughtered very often either...Browns, Saints both come to mind with a few plays we win...I think we're going to be very competitive and saying we NEED a different QB right NOW...is just stupid

Its stupid?

Really?

OK

Myself and many other people must of watched a different set of scrubs play QB then last season.

I respectfully, or in your words "stupidly" disagree with you...Have a good day..

I couldn't agree more with everything you are saying about rebuilding and what the levy , brandon era left behined , but we are talking about 1 second round pick. If that is truly the price. 1 second round pick is not going to do much to speed up or slow down the rebuilding process. .

:thumbsup:

Agreed. Mcnabb would be a great addition to this team, no question. WE NEED A QB people. If he is available for our 2nd rd pick, there is 0 reason to not do it. YES hes older, but still very productive, and spent his whole career (almosy anyways) with average receivers. Get Bulaga in the 1st to provide some protection and we may be ok next year. D is starting to look good too.

I disagree. How much worse of a team would we be without useful/exceptional players that we get in the second round such as Byrd, Schoebel, etc.

I disagree. How much worse of a team would we be without useful/exceptional players that we get in the second round such as Byrd, Schoebel, etc.

For every Byrd and Schoebel there is a James Hardy....

I will take McNabb

top ten qb with 3 plus good years left is worth a at least a two . WIn a lot of playoffs games with schoebel ?

Can anyone really blame mcnabb for not wanting to seemingly end his career with the bills. I am a bills fan and season fix holder for many years. I don't enjoy talking negatively about this franchise. But let's face it a player of donovans status doesn't want to come here. Would you if you were him...

And yes I understand that he could come here and be a huge fish in a small pond but maybe that doesn't appeal to him. I would love to see dm traded to the bills for our second rnd pick and the fo work out a three yr deal with him. It just doesn't feel realistic. Please save the T O comments..... That was a one year cash grab for both parties.

Finally - how is Russ going to sell tix this year? They have to do something, I just don't think it will be mcnabb. I hope I am wrong.