smerlas to run for office?

per the hamburg sun...MEYER'S MUSINGS: Congressman Fred Smerlas? It just may happen this fall

By: DANIEL MEYER

SUN EDITOR

There’s been some chatter in recent weeks at the counters of a few coffee shops and in the produce section of some grocery stores in Massachusetts that should soon reach the taverns and barbershops of Western New York that may intrigue voters in this region.

With many taxpayers expressing frustration over the way their representatives in Congress handled the recent health care reform legislation, the effort by local Republicans to produce quality candidates to challenge Brian Higgins and Louise Slaughter this fall is expected to heat up in the coming weeks.

One name being batted around as a possible opponent to either Higgins or Slaughter is Fred Smerlas, a former nose tackle who was a popular player during his time spent as a defender for the Buffalo Bills.

A native of Waltham, Mass., the five-time Pro Bowl selection played 14 seasons in the NFL. Smerlas has always had an interest in politics, including a brief flirtation three years ago with a possible run for a congressional seat in Massachusetts, something he supposedly thought long and hard about before bowing out of the race.

My sources say Smerlas is very serious about moving his family back to Western New York and has even had some preliminary discussions with a local real estate agent and several conversations with some of his former teammates who live in the Buffalo area about possible purchasing property here.

not sure how smerlas is a traitor, thats all!, did he do something illegal?, or is he a "traitor" because of political idealogy?

Fred would come to the Bills field house on game days to meet fans and sign autographs and then go back to Boston on his radio gig on WEEI and insult the city, the team, the owner and the fans. It's one thing if you really feel that way. You're entitled to your opinion. But don't come back to the Bills as an alum and pretend you like the team.

That's what makes him a two-faced traitor. Oh and I know some people like him because he's conservative politically, but for heaven's sake, have some respect for your side. There are a million other conservative ex-ball players that are smarter than Fred Smerlas. Ask how he got caught scalping Pats* tickets and had his seasons revoked, or how he ran his steak house in Rhode Island into the ground in less than 9 months.

PTR

per the hamburg sun...MEYER'S MUSINGS: Congressman Fred Smerlas? It just may happen this fall

By: DANIEL MEYER

SUN EDITOR

There’s been some chatter in recent weeks at the counters of a few coffee shops and in the produce section of some grocery stores in Massachusetts that should soon reach the taverns and barbershops of Western New York that may intrigue voters in this region.

With many taxpayers expressing frustration over the way their representatives in Congress handled the recent health care reform legislation, the effort by local Republicans to produce quality candidates to challenge Brian Higgins and Louise Slaughter this fall is expected to heat up in the coming weeks.

One name being batted around as a possible opponent to either Higgins or Slaughter is Fred Smerlas, a former nose tackle who was a popular player during his time spent as a defender for the Buffalo Bills.

A native of Waltham, Mass., the five-time Pro Bowl selection played 14 seasons in the NFL. Smerlas has always had an interest in politics, including a brief flirtation three years ago with a possible run for a congressional seat in Massachusetts, something he supposedly thought long and hard about before bowing out of the race.

My sources say Smerlas is very serious about moving his family back to Western New York and has even had some preliminary discussions with a local real estate agent and several conversations with some of his former teammates who live in the Buffalo area about possible purchasing property here.

Ahh... Dwight in Philly, how could we forget? The guy who declared that NBC showing ice dancing over the USA-Canada game was Obama's fault. Classic.

Fred would come to the Bills field house on game days to meet fans and sign autographs and then go back to Boston on his radio gig on WEEI and insult the city, the team, the owner and the fans. It's one thing if you really feel that way. You're entitled to your opinion. But don't come back to the Bills as an alum and pretend you like the team.

That's what makes him a two-faced traitor. Oh and I know some people like him because he's conservative politically, but for heaven's sake, have some respect for your side. There are a million other conservative ex-ball players that are smarter than Fred Smerlas. Ask how he got caught scalping Pats* tickets and had his seasons revoked, or how he ran his steak house in Rhode Island into the ground in less than 9 months.

PTR

your point?

Ahh... Dwight in Philly, how could we forget? The guy who declared that NBC showing ice dancing over the USA-Canada game was Obama's fault. Classic.

a classic case of missing the point. i made a case for nbc being otta touch, never mentioned, or inferred anything about B O.

a classic case of missing the point. i made a case for nbc being otta touch, never mentioned, or inferred anything about B O.

If you honestly haven't got his point, he's talking about the fact that Smerlas lived in New England, not Buffalo the past many years, and that he often says lousy things about Buffalo on his New England-based radio show.

If you already know this and are somehow pushing some other agenda, say it out loud.

If you honestly haven't got his point, he's talking about the fact that Smerlas lived in New England, not Buffalo the past many years, and that he often says lousy things about Buffalo on his New England-based radio show.

If you already know this and are somehow pushing some other agenda, say it out loud.

i have no access to new england radio, so i would not know anything about his 'ALLEGED BUFFALO BASHING", last time i heard him on the radio was a few years ago when he was featured on the pre-game show on 97 rock. just do not understand the "lack of love" for a former bill, who was a blue collar guy thru and thru..

i have no access to new england radio, so i would not know anything about his 'ALLEGED BUFFALO BASHING", last time i heard him on the radio was a few years ago when he was featured on the pre-game show on 97 rock. just do not understand the "lack of love" for a former bill, who was a blue collar guy thru and thru..

What's not to understand? It's similar to the lack of "McGahee" love around here. McGahee bashed the city of Buffalo, the fans, the team, and let's not forget, the WOMEN. Fred Smerlas, on his radio show, bashed the team, owner, fans, etc... you're a fan right? That means he's been bashing you.

What's not to understand? It's similar to the lack of "McGahee" love around here. McGahee bashed the city of Buffalo, the fans, the team, and let's not forget, the WOMEN. Fred Smerlas, on his radio show, bashed the team, owner, fans, etc... you're a fan right? That means he's been bashing you.

to be honest, this is the first i have heard of that. i can see bashing the team, for crissakes, it is done on here non-stop!. as for the city or fans, news to me. if he does run, i am sure his bashing of the area will have be addressed. there is no comparing mcGahee to smerlas! fred smerlas was a warrior as a player!, mcGahee, come on!

PTR

this

i have no access to new england radio, so i would not know anything about his 'ALLEGED BUFFALO BASHING",

I don't have access to New England radio either. I've just read about it on the boards about three dozen times over the past few years.

As a player, I liked Smerlas as much as you.

he's talking about the fact that Smerlas lived in New England, not Buffalo the past many years, and that he often says lousy things about Buffalo on his New England-based radio show.

Get those statements in a youtube video and the easiest job in the world becomes campaign manager for whomever Smerlas would be challenging in the election.

kj

We're not pulling your leg or making stuff up. Do a search of every Smerlas thread and you will read people upset over his repeated insults of the city and fans. You're right, as a player Smerlas was the best and we love him for that. But I suppose when the Bills cut him in favor of Jeff Wright, right before they made their Super Bowl run, it hurt Fred so much he continues to lash out at Buffalo.

PTR