Yahoo article on drafting 3-4 players

IMO there are a lot more players in the mold that favors teh 3-4 than 4-3.

ie its not that hard to find a 6'3'', 250-260lb athlete, which is the ideal size of a 3-4 OLB.

Its really hard to find a 6'4''+, 275lb athlete, which is the ideal size of a 4-3 end.

ie its not that hard to find a 6'3'', 250-260lb athlete, which is the ideal size of a 3-4 OLB.

Its really hard to find a 6'4''+, 275lb athlete, which is the ideal size of a 4-3 end.

I disagree. With colleges playing mainly the 4-3, DE's in the 250 - 260lb range are common, but don't always translate to playing LB. Our DE's in last year's 4-3 ranged from 245lbs to 270lb. Bruce Smith played at about 262lbs and Phil Hanson about 270-275lbs, both in a 3-4 system. I think the point of the article is true NT's and pass rushing LB's for a pro 3-4 are tricky to draft as they do not play those positions in college. Most DT's coming out of college are around 290 to 300lbs. Good for a 4-3 but undersized for a NT in a pro 3-4.

But the 3 - 4 rush OLBs, those 250 pounders have to be unbelievably athletic. It's not like every guy that size can play the position ... not even the good ones from college. Think about the guys who play like Porter, DeMarcus Ware, James Harrison ... How many of them put the fear of God in you? How many of them could even step on the field with someone like Lawrence Taylor? That guy and the nose tackle are really what makes or breaks a 3 - 4, and there are very very few of them around.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_...?urn=nfl,229833

Nothing we don't know, but stated very well. The lack of college teams that run a 3-4 defense makes for picking the right players even more of a challenge and a crapshoot.

That just got me thinking...whatever happened to Roosevelt Colvin?

He was a hot prospect free-agent that we looked at when he left the Bears...then he joined the Patriots where he had a couple good years...

Anybody know what happened to this guy?

He literally fell off the face of the earth...I have heard NOTHING about him since.

Bottom line...?

We NEED to draft Terrance Cody...even if we have to trade back into the end of the 1st to get him.

I will NOT be happy if the Jets, Patriots or Dolphins end up with him...I have a feeling he will be a game-changer.

You don't play for Nick Saban if you are THAT out of shape and cannot produce...this guy has "it" as a 3-4 NT.

But the 3 - 4 rush OLBs, those 250 pounders have to be unbelievably athletic. It's not like every guy that size can play the position ... not even the good ones from college. Think about the guys who play like Porter, DeMarcus Ware, James Harrison ... How many of them put the fear of God in you? How many of them could even step on the field with someone like Lawrence Taylor? That guy and the nose tackle are really what makes or breaks a 3 - 4, and there are very very few of them around.

I know they have to be athletic, but so do the 4-3 DEs. What do you think there are more of on earth - athletic 250lb guys or athletic 270 lb guys?

3 or 4 times more than the number of 4-3 DEs that put the fear of God in me.

No one can step on the field with LT, he was/is the best ever

4-3 teams use big NTs to. See Pat Williams and Sam Adams.

Bottom line...?

We NEED to draft Terrance Cody...even if we have to trade back into the end of the 1st to get him.

I will NOT be happy if the Jets, Patriots or Dolphins end up with him...I have a feeling he will be a game-changer.

You don't play for Nick Saban if you are THAT out of shape and cannot produce...this guy has "it" as a 3-4 NT.

We have to disagree on this one. Terrence Cody is a very risky pick in even the 2nd round, let alone trading

up into the 1st round for a fat out-of-shape part-time player. Of course, that is just my opinion and I'd not

be shocked if some team took him in the late first, but I'd just as soon it not be the Bills. Really, how much

can you spend on a player who might only be capable of 20 snaps a game and won't ever play on 3rd

downs because he has ZERO pass rush ability. He is so slow he couldn't get a sack even if nobody blocked

him at all.

I know they have to be athletic, but so do the 4-3 DEs. What do you think there are more of on earth - athletic 250lb guys or athletic 270 lb guys?

3 or 4 times more than the number of 4-3 DEs that put the fear of God in me.

No one can step on the field with LT, he was/is the best ever

4-3 teams use big NTs to. See Pat Williams and Sam Adams.

actually sam adams was acquired in 2003 when dick lebeau was here as def coordinator and adams played the nose in his 3-4 (primarily), but you're right, they did have both williams and adams on the field at the same time, but having those two was an exceptional situation. no question, 3-4 nose tackles can play in either scheme, but the 4-3 DT guys are the more athletic ones, and are usually preferred in the 4-3 (ie. 2010 draft prospects suh, mccooy). NT's are big space eaters, with multiple gap responsibility and occupy as many blockers as possible, allowing the 4 linebackers to cover/attack, whatever their job on a particular play. i can assure you, guys like dan williams, mt. cody and cam thomas may be "good athletes," relative to their size (all 6'2"+ and over 325+ lbs), they are not built to attack/stunt the way guys like warren sapp, tommie harris or even suh and mccoy do. check sack stats, the numbers probably back it up (i think so, i haven't checked to be honest). dan williams, cam thomas and mt. cody are all huge through the trunk, they don't have a very athletic build, even for a big man.

and you're right, LT is the best pass-rushing OLB ever - 6'3" 237 lbs