Clausen if we trade down to 20 or 21

I have been reading many posts regarding the Bills taking Jimmy Clausen if he is available with the 9th pick. In fact it would be shocking to see him not be available at 9.

The Rams are the only absolute QB selection in the entire 1st round. The Redskins are taking a left tackle, Seattle got their QB of the future, Cleveland is waiting until later in the draft and has too many needs and in reviewing the available players and team needs, Clausen will be their for the Bills at pick number 9.

I don't think this guy is a franchise QB that fits in Buffalo. First of all he has small hands which lead to problems throwing a wet ball (half the games in Buffalo), has known issues with attitude and leadership and may have peaked under a pro system at Notre Dame. Meaning he is as good he is going to get. Plus, he would get killed with the oline issues we have and lack of skill position players.

Isn't it better to build the team inside out, meaning an offensive tackle, a guard, a NT and and edge pass rusher before any skill players.

If Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey think Clausen is the guy, look for a trade down to either Houston at 20 or Cincinnati at 21 and pick up a 2nd and 4th or late 3rd based on trade chart value. Then you could take him at 20 or 21 and pick up a NT and OT in round 2, grab an edge pass rush player in round 3 and get an OG and WR in round 4.

If this can be done, draft him and start him and build very much like the Colts did with Peyton Manning and take the beating in year one and build from their

I have been reading many posts regarding the Bills taking Jimmy Clausen if he is available with the 9th pick. In fact it would be shocking to see him not be available at 9.

The Rams are the only absolute QB selection in the entire 1st round. The Redskins are taking a left tackle, Seattle got their QB of the future, Cleveland is waiting until later in the draft and has too many needs and in reviewing the available players and team needs, Clausen will be their for the Bills at pick number 9.

I don't think this guy is a franchise QB that fits in Buffalo. First of all he has small hands which lead to problems throwing a wet ball (half the games in Buffalo), has known issues with attitude and leadership and may have peaked under a pro system at Notre Dame. Meaning he is as good he is going to get. Plus, he would get killed with the oline issues we have and lack of skill position players.

Isn't it better to build the team inside out, meaning an offensive tackle, a guard, a NT and and edge pass rusher before any skill players.

If Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey think Clausen is the guy, look for a trade down to either Houston at 20 or Cincinnati at 21 and pick up a 2nd and 4th or late 3rd based on trade chart value. Then you could take him at 20 or 21 and pick up a NT and OT in round 2, grab an edge pass rush player in round 3 and get an OG and WR in round 4.

If this can be done, draft him and start him and build very much like the Colts did with Peyton Manning and take the beating in year one and build from their

Can you please quit your day job and come work for the Bills. The FO could use someone that knows so much.

can you please tell me why exactly Houston or Cincy would want to trade into the #9 spot? It's easy to say oh we should trade down and pick up some more picks. But in this talent heavy draft, why would these already playoff contending teams want to trade into our spot?

Can you please quit your day job and come work for the Bills. The FO could use someone that knows so much.

If he is available at 9 and the Bills pass their is no way he goes past SF at I believe 12. And like was said my "guess" is that he goes at 4 to Washington. Whether he is a franchise QB, nobody knows.

Assuming the Redskins don't take him (left tackle is the way they will be going) who else needs a QB if we can trade down with Cincinnati or Houston.

10 - Jacksonville - no, may take Tebow in 2nd

11 - Denver - no, just got Quinn, has Orton starting and drafted a kid they liked last year in 6th round

12 - Miami - no, Henne is locked in, Pennington resigned

13 - San Francisco - no, Alex Smith is finally developing into solid QB

14 - Seattle - no, Just traded for Charlie Whitehurst to be their starter after Hasselback

15 - NY Giants - no, Have Eli and his 92 million contract

16 - Tennessee - no, developing Vince Young

17 - San Francisco, no RT and CB are their needs

18 - Pittsburgh - no, Have Ben do we really need to say more

19 - Atlanta - no, Matt Ryan in place

Please tell me why he woudn't be available at 20.

I assume the following draft order:

Rams - Bradford - QB

Lions - Okung - LT

Bucs - McCoy - DT

Redskins - Williams - LT

Chiefs - Berry - S

Seahawks - Suh - DT

Browns - Morgan - DE

Raiders - Baluga - OT

That leaves Clausen and Spiller along with Dan Williams, Dez Bryant, Pierre-Paul, etc to entice Cincinnati or Houston to come up and for the Bills to trade down to 20 if they really do want Clausen

Assume we make the trade for a swap of 1st's, a 2nd and if Houston a 4th and with Cincinnati a 3rd, possible because the Bengals got two high compensatory picks and would consider giving their 3rd rounder to us. Assume Cincy and here we go:

21 - Bills - Jimmy Clausen - QB

41 - Bills - Cam Thomas - NT

54 - Bills - Roger Saffold - OT (Choice from Bengals)

73 - Bills - John Jarry - OG

85 - Bills - Eric Decker - WR (Choise from Bengals)

Now your OL for 2010 would be:

LT - Saffold

LG - Levitre

C - Wood

RG - Jarry

RT - Bell or Meridith

Much better with developing players, Decker might make an excellent possession receiver and then we could focus on situational OLB's to generate heat on the opposing QB

Clausen will be gone in the top 9 picks of the draft, more than likely to Washington @ #4. No way does he drop to #20 or #21.

Shanahan knows that protection is the key, Jason Campbell is a slightly above average QB in the NFL and had amazing stats considering he was playing behind a old and depleted line last year, and Chris Samuals is done, so tell me why you draft a QB with no line to sit on the bench while your starter is getting drilled game after game.

your plan will fail since washington will take clausen

can you please tell me why exactly Houston or Cincy would want to trade into the #9 spot? It's easy to say oh we should trade down and pick up some more picks. But in this talent heavy draft, why would these already playoff contending teams want to trade into our spot?

I think Houston could be eyeing someone like CJ Spiller in a trade up scenario. NYGs are another potential partner in my opinion, again to pick up Spiller.

Rams - Bradford - QB

Lions - Okung - LT

Bucs - McCoy - DT

Redskins - Williams - LT

Chiefs - Berry - S

Seahawks - Suh - DT

Browns - Morgan - DE

Raiders - Baluga - OT

And you honestly think Suh will last to #6? :beer:

The reason Seattle got Whitehurst and paid him that kind of money is to have an experiment in the uncapped year to see if he could be the guy, but he is by no means the QB of the future yet. They can cut him after this year if they don't feel he's going to be worth the investment. Secondly, Carroll recruited Clausen to play at USC and then faced him 3 times while he was at ND. Word is Carroll is very high on the guy. He wouldn't pass him over twice.

Jacksonville could very well take Clausen too as they have already added DL help through FA. You better believe that Del Rio and company are looking for Gerrard's replacement this draft. He did everything but run him over with the bus himself in the press. Pass on Clausen to wait for Tebow? I think not.

Despite "ringing" endorsements from everyone in San Fran, Alex Smith still hasn't even shaken the "bust" label yet. They also have two 1st's and could possibly take Clausen with the second first as well.

Also, who's to say that a team like Arizona or Minnesota or Cleveland would not attempt to trade up if he lasted to around 15 or so? He's not dropping to #20 or #21 bro, but you can dream right. :wallbash:

If Clausen is on the board at 9, Buddy Nix will sprint to the table and put his name in. Mel Kiper has Clausen #4 on his board ahead of Bradford.

Just looking at the top 8

Rams - Will most likely take Bradford

Lions - already have a QB

Bucs - Don't have a starter set in stone, could possibly be tempted for a franchise QB, but not likely

Redskins - Campbell (who they have already tried to replace) and Grossman are their QBs, no guarantee they would pass

Chiefs - Most likely aren't interested with Cassel

Seahawks - May still go Qb, just cause they brought in Whitehurst, theres no guarantee he will be the answer

Browns - Still could be looking for a franchise QB, Delhomme isn't a long term answer, same with Wallace, depends if Holmgren was telling the truth in his comments about Clausen

Raiders - Still searching for a franchise QB with Russell looking more like a bust every year

It is highly unlikely he gets past all of those teams cause many of them don't have a quaranteed franchise QB at this time

Assuming the Redskins don't take him (left tackle is the way they will be going) who else needs a QB if we can trade down with Cincinnati or Houston.

11 - Denver - no, just got Quinn, has Orton starting and drafted a kid they liked last year in 6th round

14 - Seattle - no, Just traded for Charlie Whitehurst to be their starter after Hasselback

I assume the following draft order:

Rams - Bradford - QB

Lions - Okung - LT

Bucs - McCoy - DT

Redskins - Williams - LT

Chiefs - Berry - S

Seahawks - Suh - DT

Browns - Morgan - DE

Raiders - Baluga - OT

That leaves Clausen and Spiller along with Dan Williams, Dez Bryant, Pierre-Paul, etc to entice Cincinnati or Houston to come up and for the Bills to trade down to 20 if they really do want Clausen

Assume we make the trade for a swap of 1st's, a 2nd and if Houston a 4th and with Cincinnati a 3rd, possible because the Bengals got two high compensatory picks and would consider giving their 3rd rounder to us. Assume Cincy and here we go:

21 - Bills - Jimmy Clausen - QB

41 - Bills - Cam Thomas - NT

54 - Bills - Roger Saffold - OT (Choice from Bengals)

73 - Bills - John Jarry - OG

85 - Bills - Eric Decker - WR (Choise from Bengals)

Now your OL for 2010 would be:

LT - Saffold

LG - Levitre

C - Wood

RG - Jarry

RT - Bell or Meridith

Much better with developing players, Decker might make an excellent possession receiver and then we could focus on situational OLB's to generate heat on the opposing QB

Not saying I don't agree with your draft projection (I don't follow the drafting process that closely), but it would be the worst possible turnout for us. Without either of the QBs, three OTs gone, and Morgan gone, there would be little interest in trading into that spot from other teams. That might mean we would take Spiller.

Not saying I don't agree with your draft projection (I don't follow the drafting process that closely), but it would be the worst possible turnout for us. Without either of the QBs, three OTs gone, and Morgan gone, there would be little interest in trading into that spot from other teams. That might mean we would take Spiller.

You don't think there would be 3-4 teams, at least, clamoring for that spot to grab Spiller???

You don't think there would be 3-4 teams, at least, clamoring for that spot to grab Spiller???

I do, I just don't think that teams will pay a lot to move up to grab an RB on draft day. RBs are a dime a dozen in the draft and even though he looks like a great pick, he could just as easily not. There are other players tat can be had in the second round that have similar skills that could be had. It might happen, but it's not like they're trading up for a QB. RBs just don't seem to have the premium placed on them by teams. Just my opinion based off years past.

I do, I just don't think that teams will pay a lot to move up to grab an RB on draft day. RBs are a dime a dozen in the draft and even though he looks like a great pick, he could just as easily not. There are other players tat can be had in the second round that have similar skills that could be had. It might happen, but it's not like they're trading up for a QB. RBs just don't seem to have the premium placed on them by teams. Just my opinion based off years past.

I get what you're saying, but I think there are teams out there who place more value on Spiller than just another RB. The Free Agency pool for RB's this year was extremely thin. I would bet a team like Houston would be willing to give up a fairly good deal to land at 9 if Spiller is still there. That's of course assuming there is another team or 2 also looking to slide into that spot. My guess would be ya, there's gonna be a deal to be had, should it play out that way.

I get what you're saying, but I think there are teams out there who place more value on Spiller than just another RB. The Free Agency pool for RB's this year was extremely thin. I would bet a team like Houston would be willing to give up a fairly good deal to land at 9 if Spiller is still there. That's of course assuming there is another team or 2 also looking to slide into that spot. My guess would be ya, there's gonna be a deal to be had, should it play out that way.

I'm sure there's always a deal to be made, I'm more questioning if it would be worth it to the Bills. I would trade down to 20 if we got two more top 120 picks, but other than that, it would be tough to do. I would almost rather take him.

I do think they should shot for an impact player in the first round. A QB, Spiller, pass rusher, etc. I don't like the idea of taking the 4th or 5th best tackle prospect or an NT. I think you can get equal value on those two positions in the second or even third round.

I'm sure there's always a deal to be made, I'm more questioning if it would be worth it to the Bills. I would trade down to 20 if we got two more top 120 picks, but other than that, it would be tough to do. I would almost rather take him.

I do think they should shot for an impact player in the first round. A QB, Spiller, pass rusher, etc. I don't like the idea of taking the 4th or 5th best tackle prospect or an NT. I think you can get equal value on those two positions in the second or even third round.

You're right. The deal would have to be worth it to pass on a guy like Spiller. If it isn't, perhaps then we would have no choice but to draft him. I still think, again assuming the players mentioned before are all off the board, we could get good enough value out of a trade down to address our needs. This draft is one of the deepest at all around talent in years. There are excellent players to be had in the 2nd, 3rd, and even 4th rounds.

Either way, should this play out, it will be interesting to watch. That's to say until no offers are made and the Bills simply pass on Spiller and pick up a DB with #9...

Jacksonville doesn't even have a 2nd rd pick.