Do our QBs really suck?

Thinking back to his Chicago days, no QB has ever flourished in a Dick Jauron offense. In fact, JP Losman was making progress prior to Jauron's arrival.

TE's weakness (aside from inability to sense the pass rush) is a lack of intermediate (10-25yd) game, which is reflexive of a timid coach who plays ultra conservative pass offense. Is it possible that it was DJ's offense and not the QBs that sucked?

P.S. - I suppose I should have said DID our QBs... as I'm referring primarily to Edwards and Losman.

Guest dog14787
Thinking back to his Chicago days, no QB has ever flourished in a Dick Jauron offense. In fact, JP Losman was making progress prior to Jauron's arrival.

TE's weakness (aside from inability to sense the pass rush) is a lack of intermediate (10-25yd) game, which is reflexive of a timid coach who plays ultra conservative pass offense. Is it possible that it was DJ's offense and not the QBs that sucked?

P.S. - I suppose I should have said DID our QBs... as I'm referring primarily to Edwards and Losman.

It never was supposed to be a DJ offense to begin with, its not his specialty, now if we had a football savvy GM in place like there should have been chances are a new Highly qualified and experienced OC would have been brought in a long time ago.

DJ had the deck stacked against him from the get go in my opinion when we started operating with the most important part of an organization missing (GM).

It never was supposed to be a DJ offense to begin with, its not his specialty, now if we had a football savvy GM in place like there should have been chances are a new Highly qualified and experienced OC would have been brought in a long time ago.

DJ had the deck stacked against him from the get go in my opinion when we started operating with the most important part of an organization missing (GM).

That is not true. DJ wanted a OC who would simplify the offense to be conservative. When your OL cannot block for the running game, such a game plan is unlikely to succeed.

Actually, Trent can sense the rush pretty well. It is just that the rush happened before he or the other QBs had a chance to back pedal two steps.

Both. When Turk took over I think he wanted to run a wide open style offense. I remember the first game against Seattle in 2008. We took it to those boys. Trent threw it downfield for completions several times. When Seattle fumbled the opening kick and we took over on like the 30, the very first play, Trent throws a strike into the EZ for a TD. Make 'em pay. Totally aggressive. We played pretty aggressive on offense until we got to 5-1. That's when Dick went into protect the lead mode and told Turk to cool it and Perry to stop blitzing.

But also, Trent just wouldn't throw the mid range to long passes. Guys were open and he just wouldn't throw it to them. If you got to a game and watch downfield you can see this. On TV you can't. I think that's why when DJ got fired Trent was buried on the pine. The coaches said enough is enough. He ain't gonna do it after them trying to coach him to for 2 1/2 years. Maybe you can really blame that on the coaches. If we wouldn't do what they told him.

That's my theory anyway.

You can't have a QB who takes away half of the field himself. His poor throws to the hashes and inability to throw down the middle has hurt this team. The coaching staff has been a mess but the QB's are just as bad.

The bottom line is, if you believe in Trent's abilities (I guess there are a few out there), you cannot argue the fact that he is brittle. It's something that has haunted him since college and year after year with the Bills. QB's are going to take hits in this league and you can't have a QB who misses 5 games a year.

So IMO, it's time to move on. Mostly because he's just not that good but also because he's so fragilie.

According to some of the pro-talent evaluators (Bills fans :lol: ) that's all they ever did was suck!! I wonder how many jumped ship?? Especially with Edwards when the brilliant coaching decision to ship all but 2 offensive lineman off in the off season & 1 just 2 weeks before the season . Did we really expect to have anything that even came close to resembling a good QB.The first couple weeks weren't bad but after Butler went down FORGET IT !! The year before last everyone was singing his praises , chaulk it up to another great coaching decision for our team having set out of the play offs again !! If Jauron would've been smart he could've at least traded Dockery & got something for him besides nothin !! (Reference; Wade Phillips last great decision as head coach not to mention trading for Rob:censored:Johnson -- that one still hurts :cry: )

Guest dog14787
That is not true. DJ wanted a OC who would simplify the offense to be conservative. When your OL cannot block for the running game, such a game plan is unlikely to succeed.

Actually, Trent can sense the rush pretty well. It is just that the rush happened before he or the other QBs had a chance to back pedal two steps.

Out of necessity, not preference, and it all circles back to the GM or lack there of I should say. A good GM would have never started the season with the inexperienced and sub par O-line Buffalo did last season, no way.

Personally I think they were both victims of poor coaching. They tried to make Losman a system QB who stayed in the pocket, read what the D was giving him and go through his progressions. Bad move, he was much better scrambling and making decisions on the fly. You hit the nail on the head with Edwards, ultra conservative passing offense with "Check Down" being crammed down his throat until that's all he did. They instilled no confidence in the kid to take risks and go ahead and trust his receivers to make a play on the ball. Edwards has the tools and could make a major comeback this year...assuming his mental aspects aren't too damaged. :lol:

You hit the nail on the head with Edwards, ultra conservative passing offense with "Check Down" being crammed down his throat until that's all he did. They instilled no confidence in the kid to take risks and go ahead and trust his receivers to make a play on the ball. Edwards has the tools and could make a major comeback this year...assuming his mental aspects aren't too damaged. :lol:

I'm 180 degrees diametrically opposed to you on this one. I think Turk wanted a passing offense and put it in with Trent. He did pretty good with it the first 6 games of 2008 but then for whatever reason Trent went into Checkdown mode on his own. Turk and subsequently Van Pelt tried to get him out of it but he just wouldn't do it. I went to 2 games in 2008 and 2009 and there were guys downfield and midrange OPEN all game long. Instead we got dink and dunks.

Once Dick was out of town, they benched him. The figured he would NEVER learn. Fitz was able to find midrange guys and also to find guys open long and get him the ball. Same plays/coaches/line etc as Trent had. What's different?

Why can't it be Trent's fault?

What's the REAL reason that Turk was fired? That is the question that needs to be answered. Who was it too complicated for? The QB? The RB? I think that was just a hogwash excuse.

The whole offense was offensive. How could you possibly have an NFL team with a new offense installed in the first week of the season. Give me a break! Then to dump your starting OT at the beginning of the season.

The whole team is a laughing stock - and it starts all the way at the top!

Russ Brandon as GM? Are you kidding me?

Because of those cheap moves, we will be paying for it for the next five years. As much as I don't like Chan Gailey, at least give this team some stability and a plan to get better. Don't fire him in a year or two. Hopefully this GM is the real deal.

:lol: <--How many times do we do this per season?

they suck.

Do our QB's really suck?

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I always say there are two groups of people when it comes to trent edwards:

The first group are the people that say he's shown flashes, he's been productive, and he definitlely would be good if he had a better situation with his o-line/coaching staff/receivers/health, etc.

The second group are the people that watch the bills' games every week

Jeez guys, look at who were the offensive cordinators the last 4 years...

Steve Fairchild was the named OC at St Louis for 3 his three years they and helped game plan and tutor QB's, he didn't call the plays Mike Martz did. So in essence he wasn't a real OC.

I can recall these boards calling Fairchild the worst names and wanting him run outta town, most were happy as hell he took a job elsewhere.

Then Fairchild quits and Jauron promoted the QB coach who has never been more then a QB coach in his entire career to OC. This guy was a ten year career back up QB in the NFL and then a career QB coach, he was QB coach for 6 teams from 1992-07. If he was worth a crap don't you think he would have been promoted sooner or at least stayed with the same team more then a year or so?

Alex Van Pelt was the next QB coach promoted to OC two weeks before the start of last years opening game, WTH?

I think Dick Jauron didn't want to hire anyone with experience on offense because he knew there was a strong possibility he would lose his job to them.

So basically most fans couldn't stand Steve Fairchild's offense and his game plans stunk, so the smart thing to do was promote the two guys under him :lol: that was Dick Jauron for you!

Edwards and Fitzpatrick are at best game managers- I think on any good team Edwards is a second string guy who could come in and not lose games- I don't like Fitzpatrick as a starter and have serious doubts about him as a backup, Brohm is an unknown but it's not like he showed signs of greatness in his debut- but all of these guys would have been helped by better line play, smarter play calling, and better hands especially T.O. ( the guy can get open and he's dangerous with the ball in his hands but he had some of the worst drops I've ever seen)