Why not Dan Williams at 9?

Virgil

From what I can gather, OT, DT, and QB are our biggest areas for concern. The idea of either Clausen or Bradford being there at 9 is slim. That leaves either OT or DT. In looking at the top 3-4 DT's, Williams is the highest rater prospect. Suh and McCoy aren't big enough to play NT. Also, I'm hearing that the Dolphins are looking at him with their number 12 pick. Now, if we are supposedly running a 3-4 D that is similar to the Dolphins, why would we not look at taking this guy. It's only 3 picks sooner and would fill one of our 2 biggest needs. Between that, and an OLB somewhere in the draft (which I personally don't think is a huge need), our D would be all set.

I'm not neglecting the Offense, but Gailey has already said this team won't be fixed in a year and atleast this would fix the D immediately.

Again, i'm not imposing my will here. I'm asking why this wouldn't be the smart pick in terms of an immediate return/impact.

For me, if Clausen is there, I'm taking him. I'm also a believer that we can get solid OT prospects in rounds 2-5. I also believe that a solid D is more important than a solid O and will keep us in more games.

I'm all for drafting a NT...but not Dan Williams...I hate this guy...he's had ONE productive season, and in watching tape he is not great at pushing the pocket and he rarely gets off blocks to make plays...I like Cody or Joseph much better and I believe we can snag Cody in the second, if not we can definitely grab Joseph in the third and he's actually the most impressive as far as combine and tape IMHO...guy is fast, big, and amazingly effective shedding blockers...

Since I like Cody/Joseph for DT, I think drafting at 9 we either trade down if possible but only if Okung, Bulaga, Davis, AND Campbell are off the board...I might even scoop up Trent Williams there as well...there are too many good OT's available at this pick even if three come off the board I'd go OT...

From what I can gather, OT, DT, and QB are our biggest areas for concern. The idea of either Clausen or Bradford being there at 9 is slim. That leaves either OT or DT. In looking at the top 3-4 DT's, Williams is the highest rater prospect. Suh and McCoy aren't big enough to play NT. Also, I'm hearing that the Dolphins are looking at him with their number 12 pick. Now, if we are supposedly running a 3-4 D that is similar to the Dolphins, why would we not look at taking this guy. It's only 3 picks sooner and would fill one of our 2 biggest needs. Between that, and an OLB somewhere in the draft (which I personally don't think is a huge need), our D would be all set.

I'm not neglecting the Offense, but Gailey has already said this team won't be fixed in a year and atleast this would fix the D immediately.

Again, i'm not imposing my will here. I'm asking why this wouldn't be the smart pick in terms of an immediate return/impact.

For me, if Clausen is there, I'm taking him. I'm also a believer that we can get solid OT prospects in rounds 2-5. I also believe that a solid D is more important than a solid O and will keep us in more games.

ok.... Why not Williams??? Bc top 10 picks should be game changers... He's a great prospect, but I don't see him as a game changer.... You can get him at 15-18 ... Not 9....

ok.... Why not Williams??? Bc top 10 picks should be game changers... He's a great prospect, but I don't see him as a game changer.... You can get him at 15-18 ... Not 9....

The phins will take him at 12

you have no idea if the phins will take him at 12..you get of the phone with bill this morning? and secondly let em have him..certainly not #9 overall worthy, i highly highly doubt he has game changing potential i just dont see it, he'll be an average DT

I'm all for drafting a NT...but not Dan Williams...I hate this guy...he's had ONE productive season, and in watching tape he is not great at pushing the pocket and he rarely gets off blocks to make plays...I like Cody or Joseph much better and I believe we can snag Cody in the second, if not we can definitely grab Joseph in the third and he's actually the most impressive as far as combine and tape IMHO...guy is fast, big, and amazingly effective shedding blockers...

Since I like Cody/Joseph for DT, I think drafting at 9 we either trade down if possible but only if Okung, Bulaga, Davis, AND Campbell are off the board...I might even scoop up Trent Williams there as well...there are too many good OT's available at this pick even if three come off the board I'd go OT...

If you're at all familiar with the 3-4 D the main function of the NT is to occupy 2-3 O lineman to let the backers make the plays. Ted Washington was a monster and look up his stats. He doesn't appear on highlight reels. He was the immovable force that forces all run plays wider allowing for support from his teammates.

If you're at all familiar with the 3-4 D the main function of the NT is to occupy 2-3 O lineman to let the backers make the plays. Ted Washington was a monster and look up his stats. He doesn't appear on highlight reels. He was the immovable force that forces all run plays wider allowing for support from his teammates.

Yeah I'm aware of that DAN WILLIAMS is easily blocked...what does that equate to???...look at some tape and find out...it means he takes on ONE blocker because they don't need three....what does THAT mean???...guards come up and try to put helmets on MLB's...and thus you got 7 - 8 yard gains per carry again in Buffalo...

Cody...pushes the pocket and gobbles up three blockers like you're talking about...hmmm...what does that mean?....well it means his middle LB is probably a top pick prospect...why becuase that LB is so fast right....no he ran 4.75....because he's so...well we can't explain it he's tricky....I'LL EXPLAIN IT CODY...

...atleast this would fix the D immediately.

I also believe that a solid D is more important than a solid O and will keep us in more games.

The D isn't exactly broken, needs some tweaking and a NT, but it kept us in a lot of games last yr. When your offensive specialty is 3 and out even a great defense would get run down.

I'm also a believer that we can get solid OT prospects in rounds 2-5.

This is probably true, and I hope we do get some prospects in those rounds, but we also need a LT to start. It's bad enough starting a rookie at the most important and most challenging position on your line, much less a late round prosect/project with upside. (see Demetrius Bell)