QB or Oline ..what really is the biggest problem??

I don`t think our o-line is as bad coming back this tear as one thinks.Look at Rodgers from Green Bay he gets wacked and sacked all the time. BUt still puts up big numbers. Big Ben in Pitt same thing.Manning in Indy quick release and smart makes his line look great. I saw Trent and Fitz have a decent amount of times passing this year. I mostly blame our O-stuggles on game planning and game time adjustments and poor QB play.

How many times are we going to have this g'damn thread topic? It's been done a hundred times and Darth Ice will say QB and a dozen others will say OL.....blah, blah, GIVE IT A DAMN REST!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don`t think our o-line is as bad coming back this tear as one thinks.Look at Rodgers from Green Bay he gets wacked and sacked all the time. BUt still puts up big numbers. Big Ben in Pitt same thing.Manning in Indy quick release and smart makes his line look great. I saw Trent and Fitz have a decent amount of times passing this year. I mostly blame our O-stuggles on game planning and game time adjustments and poor QB play.

Come on. Last years OL was one of the worst in Bills history. Our best lineman were two rookie gaurds. If that is not a sign of weakness what is? Our best tackle was actually a gaurd and he got injured in the first game. The experience of our remaining tackles was non-existent. Our talent at tackle was a developmental project (Bell), a player we cut and recalled (Chambers), a player off another teams practice squad (Meredith), a street free agent (Ramsey), and a reject from Detroit (Scott).

I won't even get into the rotating door at right guard after Wood got hurt but please recall we had 4 different starters at right gaurd.

No QB could look good behind this crew. Survival was a measure of success for our QBs.

Dick Jauron... is that you?

Some of us on the boards have been saying the line has been horrible almost as long as the Bills have been without a super star QB, if you don't believe us then listen to what the NFL analysts are saying, they have no O line and no QB...

Michael Lombardi has stated that no team can win with a bad O line, sacks don't necessarily mean a line is bad. Both the Packers and Steelers have far superior lines then the Bills, and suffered far less injuries.

Steelers ...Hmnn who is their new line coach?? What Ot tackle did they pickup from the Bills. Their O-line sucked . Being here in Pa. I seen it. Oh yeah Freddy Jackson had a few nice holes to run through last year. He ran hard but he had holes. If he was the main feature back all last year he would have put up some BIG numbers. A few injuries at Lt and we would have been fine last year . It was QB play and O- coaches that was to blame. :thumbsup:

O-line is the problem and I can prove it. Look how effective Fitz was when there was no pass rush, like in the Colts game. Give even a mediocre QB enough time and he can make plays. Add a decent running game to keep a defense honest and you really have something. I would put all our efforts into fixing the offensive and defensive fronts before I'd worry about a QB. There are a bunch of new, must-draft hypes every year.

PTR

PTR, You will never convince some of these Bills fans / posters that the O line and LT position are as important as the QB.

Because some analyst states that the QB position trumps all... doesn't mean you can get by with inferior O linemen.

What really gets me is the Buffalo Bills had one of the worst O lines in the history of the team in 09, and yet posts like this one pop up.They traded away a pro bowl left tackle and replaced him with an undersized DE.

WTH has happened to the fans in Buffalo, can the stupidness that was Jauron permeate down from the coaches-players and beyond? You guys do realize that the second highest paid player on the team is usually the left tackle. In the case of Jason Peters, he would have been making more then all 3 Bills QB's combined.

Perhaps it is because Bills fans no longer have a Bill Polian telling them the ins and outs of the team. I'm hoping Buddy Nix is Polian "ish" and is just keeping quite because he doesn't want to tip his hand on who he will draft.

In my view the Bills currently have players in most every position that can get the job done for 16 games next season, with exception of the LT position.

I agree with part of the above, and strongly disagree with the other part. Our offensive line is a very serious problem; and really needs a LT. By no possible stretch of the imagination is Bell the answer.

But that said, the fact that Bills fans are currently toying with the idea of signing Todd Collins to be our starting quarterback tells me all I need to know about our current quarterback situation. (That, and the fact that some of them seem a little convincing when they make the point that Collins may actually be an upgrade over what we currently have.) A good quarterback is a crucial part of winning football games, and right now the Bills don't have one. Haven't had one since Kelly hung up his cleats.

If a guy like Clausen can solve that problem, the Bills should do whatever it takes to draft him. Definitely including trading up! Quarterback is both the most difficult to fill position and is also the most important.

The argument can be made that all QBs look the same while lying on their backs. And that's true. Trading up in the draft means that we won't fill other holes early in the draft, especially at a premium position like LT. In which case, the Bills should have Clausen sit during his rookie year, and draft a stud LT with their first round pick of the 2011 draft. Sure, there will still be plenty of holes on this team even after the holes at QB and LT have been filled. The Bills would still need a RT, a #1 WR to line up opposite Evans, a NT, and help at several other positions. Of course, some of those needs could be filled with whichever picks weren't used on Clausen or the LT.

I agree with part of the above, and strongly disagree with the other part. Our offensive line is a very serious problem; and really needs a LT. By no possible stretch of the imagination is Bell the answer.

But that said, the fact that Bills fans are currently toying with the idea of signing Todd Collins to be our starting quarterback tells me all I need to know about our current quarterback situation. (That, and the fact that some of them seem a little convincing when they make the point that Collins may actually be an upgrade over what we currently have.) A good quarterback is a crucial part of winning football games, and right now the Bills don't have one. Haven't had one since Kelly hung up his cleats.

If a guy like Clausen can solve that problem, the Bills should do whatever it takes to draft him. Definitely including trading up! Quarterback is both the most difficult to fill position and is also the most important.

The argument can be made that all QBs look the same while lying on their backs. And that's true. Trading up in the draft means that we won't fill other holes early in the draft, especially at a premium position like LT. In which case, the Bills should have Clausen sit during his rookie year, and draft a stud LT with their first round pick of the 2011 draft. Sure, there will still be plenty of holes on this team even after the holes at QB and LT have been filled. The Bills would still need a RT, a #1 WR to line up opposite Evans, a NT, and help at several other positions. Of course, some of those needs could be filled with whichever picks weren't used on Clausen or the LT.

I saw on the NFL network talking about Clausen and his leadership abilities,which they were not to excited about. :thumbsup:

IMO: I think it was a combination of the game planning and the O-Line. They had a hard time last year with all the injuries and combinations of starters. IT ALL STARTS UP FRONT THOUGH!!!!! We need a good line! I don't care who your QB is....he has to be protected!! Game planning sucked too!!

The problem is the offensive line. The coaches and the front office are to blame for this mess. Who in there right mind trades there starting Left Offensive Tackle and cuts their starting right Offensive Tackle just before the start of the season without any legit players to replace them. That had to be the biggest bone headed decision I've ever seen. This team didn't have a chance after those moves were made. Then they go out and spend 6.5 million dollars on Terrell Owens knowing that they have no way of getting him the ball because the QB's are always on their backs.

The QB's never had a chance either after those moves.

Dick Jauron and his cast of misfit coaches were idiots.

The problem is the offensive line. The coaches and the front office are to blame for this mess. Who in there right mind trades there starting Left Offensive Tackle and cuts their starting right Offensive Tackle just before the start of the season without any legit players to replace them. That had to be the biggest bone headed decision I've ever seen. This team didn't have a chance after those moves were made. Then they go out and spend 6.5 million dollars on Terrell Owens knowing that they have no way of getting him the ball because the QB's are always on their backs.

Yeah I`m glad our O-line coach is now in Pittsburgh :thumbsup:

Yeah I`m glad our O-line coach is now in Pittsburgh :lol:

I'm glad he is in Pittsburgh also...

This is the same guy who thought the Bills players were good enough to get the job done the last few years, the man was clueless. Jason Peters and the O line regressed badly with him as the line coach and has been horrible every year under him.

Jim McNally retired after 28 years in the NFL as the Bills line coach in 07, Sean Kugler who was an assistant took over in 08 and that is exactly when the line started going downhill.

Typical of Jauron to promote from within the staff because he was afraid to hire anyone on offense with experience.

My sentiments exactly, he was so stupid he managed to get himself fired... :lol:

Then again, maybe he was tired of working for Ebenezer :lol:

O-line is the problem and I can prove it. Look how effective Fitz was when there was no pass rush, like in the Colts game. Give even a mediocre QB enough time and he can make plays. Add a decent running game to keep a defense honest and you really have something. I would put all our efforts into fixing the offensive and defensive fronts before I'd worry about a QB. There are a bunch of new, must-draft hypes every year.

PTR

I agree, draft for the o line and d front. there is no avoiding having a top 5 pick next year...that is when you draft the QB. people are looking for the savior... not happening.. this is so broken it will take years to turn around....

My sentiments exactly, he was so stupid he managed to get himself fired... :lol:

Then again, maybe he was tired of working for Ebenezer :lol:

Indeed. Looking at the string of royally !@#$ed up decisions, one could consider the possibility that some people were going out of their way and making every effort to get themselves fired.

With a Pro Bowl LT and the same quality QB's (although some may say Fitz is an improvment over JP) the Bills were 7-9. Say QB's and street FA's playing on the line, how much worse were they? 6-10

You need to have a good line infront of a great QB in this league to win. There have been exceptions to the rule like everything. But looking at the teams that have won with "caretaker" QB's, the one thing they have had in common is a top rated defence. The Cardinals last year made the SB with a QB most think will be a sure fire HOFer and a Bills castoff for a LT.

Both are a need for this team, but its more likely that you can get by with a decent LT and oline, if you have a great QB, then getting by with a mediocre QB and a great oline.

The Cardinals last year made the SB with a QB most think will be a sure fire HOFer and a Bills castoff for a LT.

Both are a need for this team, but its more likely that you can get by with a decent LT and oline, if you have a great QB, then getting by with a mediocre QB and a great oline.

Agreed. Problem is we don't have a decent or even mediocre LT (or RT for that matter) and while a smart player and the only lineman who started the same position all of last yr, our C is lacking in the physical dept.

You can get by w/ a Bills castoff and HOF QB if and only if the rest of your line is at least competent.

If we had even a decent line, I'd say QB too, but when your line is swiss cheese, drafting a high profile QB is ridiculous. By the time you've built a team around him he's going to have so many mental scars he won't be worth a roster spot (see David Carr)

Are you out of your mind! I watched all of the games last year and our OL play was horrific. There's a reason why were were just about last in Offense last year. Yes, the QB play was also horrific, but the OL as currently constructed does NOT have a LT, the RT position is manned by a bunch of practice squad players (yes I include Cornell Brown in that group as Oakland did not want him back), our RG is coming off of a serious injury in which he might not be ready this year, our Center was average and we have a promising RG. We also have No, NO depth at any of the inside OL positions as we let Incognito go. So don't tell me we should be OK at OL. Oh, one other thing. It usually takes an OL a couple of years to play together as a cohesive unit (see the Bills Super Bowl teams as evidence). It's going to be a long, long haul and I'm not sure this organization will ever get there.