The Council of Trent

I know I know, just me...but hear me out first...

Okay, first...he's only started 32 games and is one of the most sacked QB's in the league because of our horrible O-Line...going first on statistics...has he been that bad?...

Trent Edwards: First 32 starts....61 comp %...........5498 yards....24 tds/25 ints.......3 percent of his passes are picked

Joe Montana: First 32 starts.....64 comp %............5456 yards...35 tds/22 ints.......3 percent of his passes were picked

Tom Brady: First 32 starts......63 comp %............6,613 yards.....46 tds/26 ints....4 percent of his passes were picked

(and yes Brady threw LESSSSS than Trent has in his first 32 starts making his int percentage a bit higher)

Steve Young: First 32 starts.....53 comp %.........4,467 yards.......24/24.......3 percent of his passes were picked

Phillip Rivers: First 32 starts.......58 comp %.......5,111 yards......33/18.......2 percent of his passes were picked

Drew Brees: First 32 starts........58 comp %.......5,612 yards......28/31.......5 percent of his passes were picked

Okay so they are pretty comparable numbers to some GREAT QB's...now I'm not suggesting that Trent is ANY OF THOSE...but what I'm suggesting is that we still haven't seen enough evidence to say he isn't either...

Outside of statistics...he has a fluid motion and is still young in the game....he has a decent arm and when given time can do some damage...his two concusions have him gun shy back there, but who can blame him?...now enter Chan's offense...run first presumably because we cannot draft a stud and there are none available unless we pry D Mac from philly...so a run first ball club will rarely throw it around to millions of different wide outs...one deep threat and TE's and Backs out of the backfield....that's Trent's staple isn't it?...he never got on the same page with T.O....and since he's gone....I don't think Trent will be pressured to throw it more than twenty times a game except on rare occasions...

He is the ultimate efficient QB...to a fault sometimes...but in a run first defensive team...isn't that what you want?...I think it would be a mistake to draft a QB high in THIS draft, and I think with a Run stuffing DT and a couple OT's...you have a whole new ball game where Trent is concerned...he's intelligent and just needs to get over being gun shy...which I think he can do...now, again...I am not saying he's pro bowl material, but I think he is capable...and I think that we do not have enough evidence to criticize him yet...not when his numbers are comparable...his win loss is comparable as well to some of them...and I think he can be much more effective with a better O-Line

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an impossible question to answer until the draft is over. If the Bills invest a high pick on a QB then Trent is done in Buffalo. Period. It's what's best for Trent and best for the team.

However, if they take a project in rounds 3-5, then it's entirely possible that Trent beats out Brohm and Fitz in camp and wins the job. Personally, I don't get why everyone hates Trent so much, but the dude is a serious china doll. He's made of glass. So even if he wins the job, he has to stay healthy for 16 games for me to believe that he's the long term solution at QB.

My guess, especially with Seattle trading for a QB today, is that the Bills find a way to get one of the top 2 QBs in the first round and Fitz is our opening day starter with the heir apparent waiting till week 8 or so to step in.

I don't think...and by don't think....I mean I hope that it don't happen....Clauson slips to us...IMHO The ONLY QB worth a first rounder in the top ten especially is Bradford...the rest are not worth the risk....

And while some may be disappointed with a mid round QB pick, I think it works out in our favor and Trent opens up some eyes...you're right, he has been banged up pretty easily...but he takes alot of punishment to...if he can stay healthy MAYBE we can truly assess what we have in the dude

I don't think...and by don't think....I mean I hope that it don't happen....Clauson slips to us...IMHO The ONLY QB worth a first rounder in the top ten especially is Bradford...the rest are not worth the risk....

And while some may be disappointed with a mid round QB pick, I think it works out in our favor and Trent opens up some eyes...you're right, he has been banged up pretty easily...but he takes alot of punishment to...if he can stay healthy MAYBE we can truly assess what we have in the dude

I'm leery of Clausen too -- but only because of the reports about his attitude. Which, is entirely unfair to the guy since it's all speculation. From what I've seen of Clausen (and it has been a fair amount) he has all the tools. He can make all the throws and is tough as nails. I like a QB with swagger like Kelly but fear Clausen's may be more in line with Cutler who's attitude is self destructive.

But there's just no way to predict that (in my opinion) unless you get honest feedback from his teammates and coaches at Notre Dame. As fans, we won't get that unless we know people (and I don't).

So if Clausen does fall to 9, I'd be excited about his physical abilities but be dreading some sort of implosion in his first year.

Yeah, I was comparing Clauson to Leaf and everyone jumped me lol...I was like, not that he will bust like Leaf, but all the reports coming from his teamates were oh, he's a great leader and it's confidence not an attitude problem...yet if you watch the pre draft interviews the similarities in mannerisms are creepy and he gives me that wierd...LOOK AT ME I'M A BUST feeling lmao...but like I said in the other post...I thought Manning would bust and Leaf would be the next Jim Kelly...woohoo

Trent plays scared. Too much estrogen, too little testosterone. Too many checkdowns. He probably has a better arm than Fitz, but if he passes for -3 yards again on a 3rd and 13, I will probably drop this team until he is gone.

Yeah you dump it off so they can make a play hehehehehheeheh I know what you mean...I get frustrated watching him sometimes to...but I try to look at the big picture and be unbiased...the statistics as a whole...giving him the benefit of the doubt because he's only started 32 games...equivalent of only two seasons...like I said, his long term career I feel the jury is still out and I can't say definitively that he won't become something of a good QB...

I don't claim to be the smartest guy in the room but when you throw behind the line of scrimmage 90% of the time your completion percentage will sky rocket

Yeah but if he did that...how would he have yardage comparable to the many great QB's I put stats up for?....only Brady had substantially more yardage...and Trent has more yardage than Montana, Young, and Rivers through the first 32 starts...

It's too early to tell...that's my opinion anyway...yes he needs to stop being a scared little girl...but the talent is there and Kerry Collins went through this with his second concusion then came back and brought the Gmen to the SB...so...I mean...I'm not willing to throw away two and a half years of development on another Rookie that will take three more years to develop...not until another season goes by and we see what we got

You say about the rule changes..that's why I have Rivers and Brees in there as well...same rules...similar numbers...we're judging Trent too harshly IMO

Okay, first...he's only started 32 games and is one of the most sacked QB's in the league because of our horrible O-Line...going first on statistics...has he been that bad?...

Trent Edwards: First 32 starts....61 comp %...........5498 yards....24 tds/25 ints.......3 percent of his passes are picked

Joe Montana: First 32 starts.....64 comp %............5456 yards...35 tds/22 ints.......3 percent of his passes were picked

Tom Brady: First 32 starts......63 comp %............6,613 yards.....46 tds/26 ints....4 percent of his passes were picked

(and yes Brady threw LESSSSS than Trent has in his first 32 starts making his int percentage a bit higher)

Steve Young: First 32 starts.....53 comp %.........4,467 yards.......24/24.......3 percent of his passes were picked

Phillip Rivers: First 32 starts.......58 comp %.......5,111 yards......33/18.......2 percent of his passes were picked

Drew Brees: First 32 starts........58 comp %.......5,612 yards......28/31.......5 percent of his passes were picked

Okay so they are pretty comparable numbers to some GREAT QB's...now I'm not suggesting that Trent is ANY OF THOSE...but what I'm suggesting is that we still haven't seen enough evidence to say he isn't either...

Outside of statistics...he has a fluid motion and is still young in the game....he has a decent arm and when given time can do some damage...his two concusions have him gun shy back there, but who can blame him?...now enter Chan's offense...run first presumably because we cannot draft a stud and there are none available unless we pry D Mac from philly...so a run first ball club will rarely throw it around to millions of different wide outs...one deep threat and TE's and Backs out of the backfield....that's Trent's staple isn't it?...he never got on the same page with T.O....and since he's gone....I don't think Trent will be pressured to throw it more than twenty times a game except on rare occasions...

He is the ultimate efficient QB...to a fault sometimes...but in a run first defensive team...isn't that what you want?...I think it would be a mistake to draft a QB high in THIS draft, and I think with a Run stuffing DT and a couple OT's...you have a whole new ball game where Trent is concerned...he's intelligent and just needs to get over being gun shy...which I think he can do...now, again...I am not saying he's pro bowl material, but I think he is capable...and I think that we do not have enough evidence to criticize him yet...not when his numbers are comparable...his win loss is comparable as well to some of them...and I think he can be much more effective with a better O-Line

Yes, well said, as the Bills cannot afford to not give Edwards a chance, with statistics like the ones you point to a good indication that Bills fans have jumped the gun, as did Jauron last season.

The Bills need better offensive and defensive lines. Both will make a difference in the development of Edwards next year.

He is accurate, he is intelligent, and he has early career statistics that are similar to some of the best quarterbacks in the league. We don't know yet if he can be a consistently good starting quarterback, but the Bills need to strengthen everything around him, from lineman to coaches--and that will happen this offseason.

The Bills needs to rebuild from the lines and up this offseason. Or, they will just keep spinning their wheels, with lines that cannot hold their own, as everything around weak lines crumbles.

We have been too focused on our quarterback situation for much too long; time to focus on strengthening what is around him.

As of right now, he has a good of a chance as anyone else on the roster...for now

Yeah Draft Skelton...let the four guys fight it out...I bank on Edwards but if Skelton or Brohm come out with some promise, I'll be all about them...of course I didn't mention Fitzy becuase his arm doesn't match his brass pair...unfortunately...you give Edwards the courage of Fitzy or Fitzy the arm of Edwards and we got a pretty good QB...

We need a stat that shows the amount of attempts made between 15-25 yards (IN THE AIR). THis is where Trent struggles. He has not Ba**s to throw it down the middle of the field. He doesn't anticipate WRs coming open. Trent throws 3 basic passes......The dump off, the 5-7 yard check to a TE or WR, and a deep ball. HE HAS NO INTERMEDIATE GAME which is where the real QBs feast on defenses.

If he comes back with a better understanding of how routes develop and how defenses play these intermediate routes and actually has the courage to throw the ball to those intermediate routes (especially to the middle of the field) on a regular basis, he does have a chance.

The thing that bothers me about Trent is that I have seen him make the throws. I KNOW he can make the throws. But usually he only throws them when he absolutely has to (and even then he checks down a lot). I remember when he cam in as a rookie.....he made the throws I am talking about. Somewhere along the way, he lost it. Could be from the concussion....could be from Dicky J and his high school offense. I don't underestimate that. I think the offense he was in would have given better QBs than Trent some trouble. No creativity makes it a lot easier for the defense and tough on the QB.

As far as I am concerned, I am giving every QB on this team a blank slate. I don't care who does what. Whoever performs the best in Gailey's new offense should be the starter. Forget everything you have seen. I'm looking forward. If Trent proves to be the best option in this new offense, then good for him and I will be behind him. If it is someone else, I will be behind them. I just want the guy that gives us the best chance to win in the new offense.

I can see Trent coming in fired up and working like a mad man and doing well in pre season and winning the job. He could come out in the regular season and do very well for the first 5, 6 or maybe 7 games. Then he'll run out of gas like always does followed soon by injury. He just doesn't have the attention span or energy level or whatever to put together 10 - 16 games of good football. Just doesn't have it. If he does win the job, by week 8 he's out due to injury or poor play, or both.

Frist off Trent has not won a QB Competition yet!! JP won the last QB competition the BIlls had and ended up losing the Job anyway. FItz was brought in as a Confidence boost for Trent for the simple reason: FITZ CANNOT WIN ANY QB COMPETITion so it comes down to what Brohm can prove and any rookie/Treade or Free agent the acquire before the start of camp!

SO far in my opinion Trent is in the lead ( not a big Trent fan myself either but I am a fan of a QB finally succeeding in Buffalo and if he can get his head straigh this year then so be it) The only issue I see with trent now is his favorite WR is gone. SO without Josh Reed who does he throw the ball to consitantly. Will he finally learn to be Brady Like and spread the football around? does he finally have someone whocan teach him to overcome and progress instead of the decade of regressed teachings?

Lt me touch on Brady a second if I may. Considering I live in New engalnd I have seen and heard alot about his play. He was not a deep ball thrower to begin with and it took some time to develop. He was thow an accurate short to mid range QB who relied mostly on SCREEN PASSES ( everyone should know this how many times did we get killed by a 2 yard out to faulk?) and his TEs. One thing we have lacked is TEs so my point is simple he has been compared to Brady for a reason, My buddy of 22 years and die hard pats/ Brady fan believes Trent resembles him perfectly and keeps tellimg me we Need Tight ends and his down feild will improve over time so one more shot with a new staff could be the resurrection he needs.