Firefox question

bbb

I notice you guys talking about upgrading to 3.6. Over the last couple days, I've been randomly having a window open that says I should upgrade. I usually tend to stay away from windows that will pop up on their own like that, but is this one legit? I'd imagine going to website on my own would be the safest bet.

I notice you guys talking about upgrading to 3.6. Over the last couple days, I've been randomly having a window open that says I should upgrade. I usually tend to stay away from windows that will pop up on their own like that, but is this one legit? I'd imagine going to website on my own would be the safest bet.

Yeah, it's legit. You can get it to display by going to "help -> check for updates" if you prefer.

This whole "Chrome" name thingy, is it a play on the old car expression (what the old "hot rod" set would use for a car that looked snazzy but couldn't "go"):

"If it won't go, chrome it."

Why the heck would they (Google) name it that? It is an expression about having no substance (under the hood), but looks pretty on the outside.

Or is that the effect Google wanted? Style over substance. Maybe I am just old, I wouldn't touch anything with that name. :lol::lol:

This whole "Chrome" name thingy, is it a play on the old car expression (what the old "hot rod" set would use for a car that looked snazzy but couldn't "go"):

"If it won't go, chrome it."

Why the heck would they (Google) name it that? It is an expression about having no substance (under the hood), but looks pretty on the outside.

Or is that the effect Google wanted? Style over substance. Maybe I am just old, I wouldn't touch anything with that name. :lol::lol:

Wow. I'm not sure where to begin on this, so I'll just pick one:

1.) A name is just a human given combination of letters to an object. Not thinking of or using a product because of it's name is quite possibly the silliest thing I've ever heard. To pull out an old Shakespeare quote: "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

2.) It's a web browser. There isn't that much of a difference between them (except IE not supporting standards). Chrome has a fantastic rendering engine (it's twice as fast with heavy javascript based web apps than Firefox).

3.) The name is actually referring to Chromium, the open-source project from where it gets most of it's code.

4.) I'll throw out one more old quote: "Don't judge a book by it's cover."

You never get a second chance to make a first impression.

1.) A name is just a human given combination of letters to an object. Not thinking of or using a product because of it's name is quite possibly the silliest thing I've ever heard. To pull out an old Shakespeare quote: "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

2.) It's a web browser. There isn't that much of a difference between them (except IE not supporting standards). Chrome has a fantastic rendering engine (it's twice as fast with heavy javascript based web apps than Firefox).

3.) The name is actually referring to Chromium, the open-source project from where it gets most of it's code.

I know, I know. I think Fez nailed it below your post. Maybe I was a little harsh... I will give it a whirl!

Had a really bad experience with it, a while back. Maybe it has improved, though. I might give it a second chance. But it doesn't work the same way Adblock Plus does, from what I can tell.

Chrome hasn't fully developed the Extension API yet, so it can only hide ads and not prevent them from loading. However, I don't have a problem with it.

Chrome hasn't fully developed the Extension API yet, so it can only hide ads and not prevent them from loading. However, I don't have a problem with it.

Why don't they just call it "gold" or something... <_<:D God I hate anything chromium... Such a pain in the ass to maintain!

Do you have to coat it with cosmoline for the winter... :o

I upgraded my firefox and now I'm getting pop up ads complete with random audio and my malwarebytes program won't open. So yeah, I'm really enjoying that upgrade so far. B-)

I had an automatic update an hour or so ago. You might want to get it - dunno if it addresses your problems, though.

another question- I run FF at work and home and it does not update all of the changes. Such as i can view your avatars but when i get home they are totally different. And on the front page of TBD it has heading like, Marshawn needs to divulge info and references the hit and run, i have deleted everything and still it does not update. Any ideas?

I upgraded my firefox and now I'm getting pop up ads complete with random audio and my malwarebytes program won't open. So yeah, I'm really enjoying that upgrade so far. B-)

If you are getting popups and Malwarebytes won't open, I doubt that is connected to a FF update.

I'd try running Malwarebytes in safe mode and see what happens. If it doesn't open, try running SuperAntiSpyware Portable off of an USB stick to see if you have a cootie or two:

http://www.superantispyware.com/portablescanner.html