Firefox question

bbb

I usually have a lot of windows and tabs open, and my firefox has been crashing lately.......The thing I don't like is when I go to restart it it automatically tries to open up all those windows and tabs.......I looked all over and can't find an option (like they used to have) where you can "start a new session" instead of "restoring the session"........Does anybody know if there is something that is there that I'm not finding?

I usually have a lot of windows and tabs open, and my firefox has been crashing lately.......The thing I don't like is when I go to restart it it automatically tries to open up all those windows and tabs.......I looked all over and can't find an option (like they used to have) where you can "start a new session" instead of "restoring the session"........Does anybody know if there is something that is there that I'm not finding?

Tools > Options > General >

In the Start Up section: When firefox starts: - select "Show a blank page"

I take it you updated to 3.6 recently, too. I waited for what I thought was a long enough time, and I can't say I'm thrilled so far. Too many small hiccups, including the one you mention

As Cincy notes, you can set FF to start with an empty page (or your home page/pages, or the saved tabs when you exited), but I don't think that will fix this crash. I start with my home page every time and FF tries to repair to my tabs after a crash. IE8 does the same thing. That can be frustrating if you want to avoid the tab that caused the crash.

Here is the method of disabling the restore after crash. Note that this is from FF 2 and I have yet to test it in 2.6. But I may make the change today:

http://www.astahost.com/info.php/Disable-C...x-2_t15275.html

I take it you updated to 3.6 recently, too. I waited for what I thought was a long enough time, and I can't say I'm thrilled so far. Too many small hiccups, including the one you mention

I actually haven't had any issues with 3.6 -- except in posting messages on TSW. Everything else (including personas) seems to work fine.

I actually haven't had any issues with 3.6 -- except in posting messages on TSW. Everything else (including personas) seems to work fine.

Its' been fine with me, so far.

I waited until a compatible version of IETab was available. It is experimental at the moment, but seems fine. Cool Iris plugin was acting funny, but was updated last night.

I have had two crashes of the browser, I think, in two days. Not terrible if it gets worked out soon. The worst thing, by far, is this glitch with the cursor on TSW posting.

I waited until a compatible version of IETab was available. It is experimental at the moment, but seems fine. Cool Iris plugin was acting funny, but was updated last night.

I have had two crashes of the browser, I think, in two days. Not terrible if it gets worked out soon. The worst thing, by far, is this glitch with the cursor on TSW posting.

What's the nature of the glitch? I may have the same problem and not noticed or paid attention. My posts seem to be the same as before.

I had some sort of problem a few weeks ago (preceding FF 3.6) - I can't remember exactly what it was...I think it was those little icons that showed whether a post had a recent reply or some such.

I switched from the Bills skin to the IBO native skin, and all is ok.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?showtopic=109698

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?showtopic=109915

Also, I couldn't edit your post when I was replying. I had to post, then go to quick edit to edit your post.

Heh - when I click on a link to a previous site post, my login gets broken. This has happened forever - I am resigned to it.

So you can't edit without a re-post? Yikes! I'd be hunted down and shot on sight if I couldn't go back and change some of the words I post...

:doh:

As Cincy notes, you can set FF to start with an empty page (or your home page/pages, or the saved tabs when you exited), but I don't think that will fix this crash. I start with my home page every time and FF tries to repair to my tabs after a crash. IE8 does the same thing. That can be frustrating if you want to avoid the tab that caused the crash.

Here is the method of disabling the restore after crash. Note that this is from FF 2 and I have yet to test it in 2.6. But I may make the change today:

http://www.astahost.com/info.php/Disable-C...x-2_t15275.html

You're right - what Cincy said does not help with this type of crash. I already have it open that way.........I saw that link you have last night, and that picture of restore session vs. start new session is exactly how it used to be, but never is anymore.

Do you think that fix for 2.0 will still work now with 3.6? (I'm not so hot with computers and don't want to eff anything up)

You're right - what Cincy said does not help with this type of crash. I already have it open that way.........I saw that link you have last night, and that picture of restore session vs. start new session is exactly how it used to be, but never is anymore.

Do you think that fix for 2.0 will still work now with 3.6? (I'm not so hot with computers and don't want to eff anything up)

I just checked and that control (browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash) is still there, so yes it should work. Just change "true" to "false". For now, I am going to leave the recover setting alone.

I had a nice long post and the browser crashed. When it restored I was back at the post window, but everything I typed was missing. :thumbdown:

Also, my spell check seems to be disabled when the blinking cursor isn't working. It's becoming quite the pain.

I just checked and that control (browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash) is still there, so yes it should work. Just change "true" to "false". For now, I am going to leave the recover setting alone.

I had a nice long post and the browser crashed. When it restored I was back at the post window, but everything I typed was missing. :thumbdown:

Also, my spell check seems to be disabled when the blinking cursor isn't working. It's becoming quite the pain.

A thought...have you tried disk cleanup, defrag, then booting in Safe Mode and invoking CC and the various av & spyware things?

A thought...have you tried disk cleanup, defrag, then booting in Safe Mode and invoking CC and the various av & spyware things?

I clean and defrag on a regular basis. Also scan for infections and have pretty good security set up.

This seems to be a FF 3.6 thing, from what I can tell. It may not be happening to everyone, but it is happening. I may try uninstalling FF and reinstalling to see if that helps. That won't be til next week though, and maybe things will be fixed by then.

Chrome works great. :thumbdown:

Now that WOT is Chrome compatible I use it more often. When AdBlock Plus has a legit plugin that works, I will use it more. When IETab has a Chrome plugin, I will use it even more. Add NoScript to the list, too.

But Chrome isn't easily customizable enough for me, yet.

It is real fast, though.

Sorry for any spellig mistakes.

That's not it -- I ran a test on one of my machines yesterday. TSW posting worked, I upgraded to FF 3.6, went right back to TSW, and posting didn't work.