Terrence Cody Story

i mean, he set the bench record at bama, and has lost 50+ lbs in the last two years. I dont know if you can call that a lack of interest. In interviews he came out and said he didnt know the most basic of training and weight loss strategies before going to alabama. Simple things like eating breakfast to start his metabolism, or that eating late at night was worse for you then during the day. Simple things that are like obvious to most of us, but if he wasnt taught them.... how would he know.

There are definitely red flags, but for every question mark there seems to be a reason to believe that it may have just been a poor upbringing and hes on the right track.

he seems like a high quality kid, and id be thrilled to get him.

I didn't say lack of "interest". I said lack of commitment.

Good answer though. I didn't say I was against him. I just don't know him and he obviously has some flags because he's projected in the 2nd round.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i will say this, to cut JPS and Rfeynman some slack...

if we still had Jauron as a coach, id be way more inclined to pass him up. i feel that Jauron and his coaches were way too soft on their players.

but with more of a hard-nosed coach in Gailey, i think he can be successful. not saying he is lazy and that he NEEDS someone to stay on him, but if he does, this will be a better staff to make sure he stays focused.

If he is somehow available when we pick in the 2nd round I am taking him no matter what. Our god awful run defense improves 10 spots just with him on board in my opinion. I think he will make other players around him better like Mcclain who is a good player but benefited from Cody drawing multiple people and allowing people to make plays.

22 reps for a NT is WEAK!!! How is he going to keep people off his legs if he's not strong up top?? 370+ lbs is what this kid was before his agent convinced him to lose weight. And it's easy for really fat people to lose 20 lbs. Harder to keep it off. Like I said, I didn't see him play much....but I did see him.

Cody played about 40% of the defensive snaps for Alabama. And he still tired near the end of games.

Having said that, when he was fresh, he was a serious difference-maker. I don't know how many reps he can do, but I do know that he looked titanically strong in the middle, handling double-teams with ease and often making his way to the play right through the double-teams. The guy is a monster. But ...

... conditioning is a real issue, and all he has proven so far about weight loss is that he can take it off for a period of time, but apparently can't keep it off. He was over 400 in high school, got down to 355 during the season at Alabama, but his target had been 340. He wanted to play on passing downs too, and Saban told him he could if he got down to 340. He never did, though he admits it's the right weight for him. After the season ended, he bounced up to 370, his weight at the Senior Bowl. He's now going down again, measured lower at the combine and lower yet at his pro day. But can he keep it off? He fluctuates wildly.

Bottom line, he's a huge risk - huge reward prospect. I'm not sure the Bills are in a position to be taking risks on picks right now.

Love the story about the hospital, though. You do get the sense that he's a good guy.

if that's the case, you arent looking at the bigger picture, which is that his weight has been on a steady downward trend since starting his college football career. he came into Alabama around 400 pounds and worked to get down to a playing weight of 370. Now, he has worked to get down to about 355 pounds for his Pro-Day Workout.

Dr. D., you need to check the history more carefully. His progress has not been steady, it's been on and off, and that's the worry. Just google "Terrence Cody weight" and do some reading.

With all the Cody bashing about his "pecs", his work ethic, and his weight, it is nice to see that behind all that is a good human being. I'm not saying he's going to win a humanitarian award but isn't this the type of high character player we are looking for?

Cody in the 2nd? If he slips...sounds like he may not considering his offseason weight-loss results.

Yeah, in the second, you'd have to gilve him serious consideration. He's highly unlikely to last into the third.

you must take me for one of these internet amateurs! i hover before i click, homie!! (nice try though :) )

with regards to the subject at hand, he has kept his weight under control for the past 3 years. When he came to Alabama, he weighed upwards of 400, they got him on a program and he was able to maintain a playing weight of around 370. if you think for one second that Nick Saban would tolerate a player coming in out of shape and overweight while he is trying to make a run at a National Championship, or not working hard, then you either dont know Nick Saban or College Football that well.

If Cody was really the lazy slug that some people make him out to be, he'd be well over 400 pounds and out of football already. Instead, the REALITY of it is that he is down around 355lbs and ready to get drafted into the NFL.

http://blog.al.com/press-register-sports/2...terrence_c.html

He played around 355 last year. That's why the 370 was such a disappointment at the Senior Bowl. And the 355 was well above his weight goal at Alabama of 340.

The picture in that link above is of a guy who could stand to lose probably 40 pounds, and he's in an Alabama uniform during the Auburn game.

Weight is a concern for this guy.

Got this off another board I read...

"I have been on this board a while and I am a lurker, but this is something that needs to be told...

My uncle was diagnosed with liver cancer during the first week of September of 2009. The doctor was very upbeat, but told him it would be a battle. The doctor told him that he definitely would get to see Christmas and hopefully a lot more of them. Almost a week later the doctor told him he had 4 weeks to live. It was a shock for everyone in our family. My uncle and my father had worked together for the last 11 or so years and I have worked with them the last 2. The chemo almost started immediately and he was getting good results back from tests. He has been in the hospital a couple times and actually had a bad case of pneumonia and sepsis and came back strong. One week ago he began to fall ill and was taken to the hospital the doctor said he would not last through the weekend. The family was called in and stayed with him night and day. He began to feel better and by Friday was sitting up and talking and joking like he always did...Enter Terrence Cody...

Terrence was signing autographs in Childersburg which is a a couple of miles away from Sylacauga where my uncle is in the hospital. Word got to him from a friend who set up the autograph session that it would make my uncles day if he could come by. He did, he took pictures, signed autographs, and talked for two hours. It was hard to get him to leave. It made my uncles day indeed. As of today he is supposed to leave the hospital to go back home. "

Tidefans.com

Well Good for him. Sounds Like a solid citizen . I hope he remains that way in his future NFL career and doesn't just go South so to spak. :)

If they honestly believe Cody is not going until the 3rd or 4th round, they should be fired. I'm just praying he lasts to our pick in the 2nd. The knock on Cody is he's a 2 down player and his conditioning. I'd rather have a great 2 downs than average to below average 3 downs. Alabama allowed like 11 points a game last year and sallowed omething like less than 30 yards rushing. You aren't going to lose many games like that. Poz would be a pro bowler behind Cody.

His level of conditioning and having energy at the end of games is definitely a concern.

But to discount his value based being a 2 down player (and I'm not directing this at you, C.Biscuit) is ridiculous. The vast majority of nose tackles leave the game in passing situations. It's hard to think of a single nose tackle who stays in the game to push the pocket on passing downs. Their job is to stuff the run.

He did 32 rep not 22. Must of been a misprint there. He also set Bama's bench record so yeah he obviously hates the weight room. :wallbash: Just more crap people are assuming because of a PICTURE. He looked pretty damn good at the end of the Tennessee game as well only blocking two field goals with one of em being the game winner.

He did 32 rep not 22. Must of been a misprint there. He also set Bama's bench record so yeah he obviously hates the weight room. :doh: Just more crap people are assuming because of a PICTURE. He looked pretty damn good at the end of the Tennessee game as well only blocking two field goals with one of em being the game winner.

No. Not true. His agent said 32. Cody corrected reporters and said he did 22.

http://www.tidesports.com/article/20100311...1?p=3&tc=pg

If they honestly believe Cody is not going until the 3rd or 4th round, they should be fired. I'm just praying he lasts to our pick in the 2nd. The knock on Cody is he's a 2 down player and his conditioning. I'd rather have a great 2 downs than average to below average 3 downs. Alabama allowed like 11 points a game last year and sallowed omething like less than 30 yards rushing. You aren't going to lose many games like that. Poz would be a pro bowler behind Cody.

Cody + Puz would be a dream combo.