Our starting defense for 2010!!

If the Bills play their cards right they could put a very respectable group of players on the field on defense for 2010.

That's because guys like McKelvin, McGee, Whitner, Poz, Mitchell, and others missed so much time that they really weren't able to make much of an impact.

Hopefully, with bigger stronger players overall in the front seven the defense will hold up better and the starters will make it through to game 16 (and even the playoffs) unscathed.

I'm hoping that Nix is evaluating all available FAs and looking to sign the ones that fit what we plan to do on offense and defense the best.

DT/NT J. Kennedy may not be a big name, but he may fit the 3-4 scheme very well and should compete for a starting DT position. He was the #12 player overall several years back so the talent is certainly there. From what I've read it sounds like he is going to play for Buffalo.

Right now I see the Bills starting Stroud and Sp. Johnson at DT and K. Williams at NT. If they sign Kennedy then he may start ahead of Johnson. I expect the Bills to draft a high quality NT in either R1 or R2 and that player will then compete with Williams for the starting NT spot.

Our starting defense would shape up as follows if we sign Kennedy, draft a NT in R1 or R2, and maybe even sign a vet OLB like J. Porter (all are very realistic):

Potential Defensive starters:

DT/NT/DT - Stroud/R1 or R2 pick/Kennedy (Subs: K. Williams, Sp. Johnson, McCargo, Kelsay)

OLB/ILB/ILB/OLB - Porter/Mitchell/Poz/Schobel (Subs: Maybin, C. Ellis, Draft, N. Harris, mid round draft pick)

CB/SS/FS/CB - McGee/Whitner/Byrd/McKelvin (Subs: Florence, Youboty, Corner, B. Scott, Wilson)

That's not a bad group really. If we can get a really good NT in the draft the defense mentioned above could do very well in 2010.

Your thoughts??

If the Bills play their cards right they could put a very respectable group of players on the field on defense for 2010.

That's because guys like McKelvin, McGee, Whitner, Poz, Mitchell, and others missed so much time that they really weren't able to make much of an impact.

Hopefully, with bigger stronger players overall in the front seven the defense will hold up better and the starters will make it through to game 16 (and even the playoffs) unscathed.

I'm hoping that Nix is evaluating all available FAs and looking to sign the ones that fit what we plan to do on offense and defense the best.

DT/NT J. Kennedy may not be a big name, but he may fit the 3-4 scheme very well and should compete for a starting DT position. He was the #12 player overall several years back so the talent is certainly there. From what I've read it sounds like he is going to play for Buffalo.

Right now I see the Bills starting Stroud and Sp. Johnson at DT and K. Williams at NT. If they sign Kennedy then he may start ahead of Johnson. I expect the Bills to draft a high quality NT in either R1 or R2 and that player will then compete with Williams for the starting NT spot.

Our starting defense would shape up as follows if we sign Kennedy, draft a NT in R1 or R2, and maybe even sign a vet OLB like J. Porter (all are very realistic):

DT/NT/DT - Stroud/R1 or R2 pick/Kennedy (Subs: K. Williams, Sp. Johnson, McCargo, Kelsay)

OLB/ILB/ILB/OLB - Porter/Mitchell/Poz/Schobel (Subs: Maybin, C. Ellis, Draft, N. Harris, mid round draft pick)

CB/SS/FS/CB - McGee/Whitner/Byrd/McKelvin (Subs: Florence, Youboty, Corner, B. Scott, Wilson)

That's not a bad group really. If we can get a really good NT in the draft the defense mentioned above could do very well in 2010.

Your thoughts??

This group could not stop anybody last year. If I'm not mistaken we were ranked 29th last year. Besides wishful thinking, what makes you think this group will vault to a respectable ( top 15 defense) in 2010? Do you think Kennedy is that good?

As I mentioned, many of the players that we will have back this year missed a lot of time last year. McKelvin and McGee and Mitchell missed a lot of time as starters last year, which greatly contributed to the 2009 defense's poor showing.

The key will be how well we are able to improve the defensive line AND whether Schobel/Maybin can actually play the OLB postion in the 3-4 alignment.

I mentioned Porter because he has played for DC Edwards' in the 3-4 while with Miami and is a very good 3-4 OLB. He could play the strong side while allowing Schobel and Maybin to mostly rush the passer from the weak side, which plays to their strengths. Rushing from the 3-4 OLB position will also put both Schobel and Maybin in a postion to have to beat a TE or RB in order to get to the QB (i.e. usually smaller players than they are) rather than having to go up against a 315 lb LT (i.e. always a bigger/stronger player than they are).

Poz and Mitchell are both best suited for the ILB position in the 3-4 than they are as MLBs in the 4-3 because they won't have as much ground to cover against the run or as much of the field to cover against the pass in the 3-4.

The Bills MUST have three very stout DLs with enough size and strength to keep the opposing OLs at bay so that the LBs behind them can be kept free to make plays.

I think McKelvin and McGee are both excellent cover CBs, but we need them for 16 games, not 7 or 8. The CBs we have behind them provide good depth, but aren't nearly as good in 1v1 coverage as they are.

Byrd has proven to be a great find and a turnover machine. he's just a very smart player like his dad who knows where to be on the field.

Whitner has all the talent in the world to be a very good SS. This is the year that he needs to show it for 16 games. Both Scott and Wilson have their pluses and minuses as safeties.

I'm very encouraged that our defense will be very respectable if we able able to make the improvements that I've mentioned above.

I'll asses the offense and the ST at a later date.

This group could not stop anybody last year. If I'm not mistaken we were ranked 29th last year. Besides wishful thinking, what makes you think this group will vault to a respectable ( top 15 defense) in 2010? Do you think Kennedy is that good?

You are very much mistaken. They were ranked 19th. Also, as the previous poster mentioned, many of these players were hurt and missed significant time last year. That factor, combined with new players and a new scheme, could lead to very different results.

Nix knows that he can't fix everything at once, and, based on the beginning of this offseason, it doesn't look like he is trying to. However, I think with the right drafting, they could instantly turn the D into a top 10 unit for the next 5 years.

My ideal draft would be to go

1: McClain

2: Cody

3. Best available left tackle

4. Best available tackle, left or right.

To me that is a very realistic draft that would make this D young, tough, strong, and athletic. McClain, wherever he goes, will be a linchpin of a hungry aggressive D for the next 10 years. The kid seems like a natural leader, warrior, and would give this team instant credibility. Moreover, pairing Cody with McClain, his former teammate from Alabama, would tip Cody's boom/bust ratio in his favor. McClain wouldn't let Cody eat/drink his way out of the league.

I know this draft would mean our offense is likely bottom 10 next year, but I think that will be the case anyway. If the Bills made these moves, that would allow them to focus almost exclusively on the offense next year and would mean that maybe, they are only 1 year out of competing for a playoff berth.

You are very much mistaken. They were ranked 19th. Also, as the previous poster mentioned, many of these players were hurt and missed significant time last year. That factor, combined with new players and a new scheme, could lead to very different results.

Nix knows that he can't fix everything at once, and, based on the beginning of this offseason, it doesn't look like he is trying to. However, I think with the right drafting, they could instantly turn the D into a top 10 unit for the next 5 years.

My ideal draft would be to go

1: McClain

2: Cody

3. Best available left tackle

4. Best available tackle, left or right.

To me that is a very realistic draft that would make this D young, tough, strong, and athletic. McClain, wherever he goes, will be a linchpin of a hungry aggressive D for the next 10 years. The kid seems like a natural leader, warrior, and would give this team instant credibility. Moreover, pairing Cody with McClain, his former teammate from Alabama, would tip Cody's boom/bust ratio in his favor. McClain wouldn't let Cody eat/drink his way out of the league.

I know this draft would mean our offense is likely bottom 10 next year, but I think that will be the case anyway. If the Bills made these moves, that would allow them to focus almost exclusively on the offense next year and would mean that maybe, they are only 1 year out of competing for a playoff berth.

Would be very happy if we get the third or fourth best player in the draft (McClain) and somebody (Cody) who will allow our LB's to run loose and make plays.

Would be very happy if we get the third or fourth best player in the draft (McClain) and somebody (Cody) who will allow our LB's to run loose and make plays.

I've been touting this draft for several months now. Most mocks still have McClain on the board at 9. I'm a little more worried with Cody being there when we pick in the second. Usually, we've had no trouble moving up to get the guys we want in the late first or early second, with unfortunate results. (McCargo, and, to a much lesser extent Poz). Poz is alright, however we could have stayed pat and drafted a better player in David Harris.

This year, with all our needs and the depth in the draft, I'd be way more hesitant about losing picks to move up a few spots. Our surplus of picks in rounds 6+7 probably won't be much use to potential trade partners. This is where, I'd consider moving a guy like Whitner to Washington to move up a few spots in the second round and pick up a fourth or fifth as well.

This is, of course, if Cody or Dan Williams is still on the board at that point.

Ideally, we'd lose Whitner, get Cody, and pick up an extra 4th. Then with our third and two fourth round picks, I'd pick either the Three best tackles available, or the two best tackles available and finally add a skill position player as well.

Very doable, if Nix is on his game.

Some very good points.

I think that with the Bills having NINE picks currently and a very high #1 pick that they are poised to help themselves out greatly via the draft.

I would propose that the Bills very seriously consider trading down in R1 since there are several teams with TWO R1 picks who would likely be more than willing to trade their extra R1 pick in order to move up to grab a player of need in the top 10 of the draft.

The Bills may be able to trade down to #16 overall and pick up an extra R2 and R4 pick and STILL get the player that they want (i.e. either LT Balaga or NT D. Williams). In this scenario they would have the following picks overal:

R1 (#16), R2, R2, R3, R4, R4, R5, R6, R6, R7, R7 (11 draft picks).

They could get the starting LT and NT that they desperately need, trade a pick or picks for a vet QB and use the remainder of the picks to provide quality depth and select the type of players that they need to play the new 3-4 alignment on defense.

Yes, but that's one of the major drawbacks of the 4-3. Unless you play it perfectly and you have the right kind of players, once a RB gets past that front 4 he's as good as gone. With a 3-4, you can put some bulkier LBs (e.g. Schobel if he doesn't retire and decides to switch to LB) back there and you have a second line of defense, so-to-speak.

Last year our D wore down. Its not that they were so bad as much as the offense was just plain pitiful. This year the draft and FAgency should be towards building good to dominant lines on both sides of the ball. Control the ball, wear other people down and give yourselves a chance in the 4th quarter. Sorry. Football is football. Bigger, stronger and faster will almost always win

Big if, but if Maybin takes to olb things could get interesting . Maybin, bryd and mckelvin all offer big play potential . THe D backfield will be rock solid . Inside linebacker should be fine with poz and mitchel and yes depth in needed . Buddy beefs up the front 4 who knows how good this unti is in a year of two. The real problem will be turnig the pop warner offense in to something resembling an Nfl team

Back when the Bills used to run a 3-4 the LB's seemed so critical. If Maybin can turn into the stud OLB we all hope he is, Poz can stay healthy, with Mitchell, IMO they are one more solid LB and LARGE STRONG NT away from a decent front 7.

Whitner/scott may actually be better suited as SS's in this D alignment than in tampa 2.

There is certainly enough pieces there to warrent some optomism about the defenses prospects next year if a few more moves are made...

Your thoughts??

Actually we were ranked 19th so you are very mistaken and we were probably better than that but our offense sucked. Thats why you don't see any post that read Our offense will rock!!!

Some very good points.

I think that with the Bills having NINE picks currently and a very high #1 pick that they are poised to help themselves out greatly via the draft.

I would propose that the Bills very seriously consider trading down in R1 since there are several teams with TWO R1 picks who would likely be more than willing to trade their extra R1 pick in order to move up to grab a player of need in the top 10 of the draft.

The Bills may be able to trade down to #16 overall and pick up an extra R2 and R4 pick and STILL get the player that they want (i.e. either LT Balaga or NT D. Williams). In this scenario they would have the following picks overal:

R1 (#16), R2, R2, R3, R4, R4, R5, R6, R6, R7, R7 (11 draft picks).

They could get the starting LT and NT that they desperately need, trade a pick or picks for a vet QB and use the remainder of the picks to provide quality depth and select the type of players that they need to play the new 3-4 alignment on defense.

They would get two guys we need.

I see it differently. I think Stroud, Mitchell and maybe Kelsay are big problems. They're good enough to make you think they should be in the NFL, just good enough to be in the starting lineup, but not consistently productive enough to be the cornerstone of a winner.

So in the front 7, it's only Poz that is proven. Maybe KW as rotational guy. Every one else is either sometimes or maybe. Oh, we'll use what we have, but I would draft 1 OT and all front 7 because we DESPERATELY need it.

I see it differently. I think Stroud, Mitchell and maybe Kelsay are big problems. They're good enough to make you think they should be in the NFL, just good enough to be in the starting lineup, but not consistently productive enough to be the cornerstone of a winner.

So in the front 7, it's only Poz that is proven. Maybe KW as rotational guy. Every one else is either sometimes or maybe. Oh, we'll use what we have, but I would draft 1 OT and all front 7 because we DESPERATELY need it.

I agree with what you are saying about the players you brought up . That said they are more then capable of holding the fort.

I agree with what you are saying about the players you brought up . That said they are more then capable of holding the fort.

Hold the fort for what?? They will make them competitive, not win.

Your thoughts??

You can't be serious????

Big if, but if Maybin takes to olb things could get interesting . Maybin, bryd and mckelvin all offer big play potential . THe D backfield will be rock solid . Inside linebacker should be fine with poz and mitchel and yes depth in needed . Buddy beefs up the front 4 who knows how good this unti is in a year of two. The real problem will be turnig the pop warner offense in to something resembling an Nfl team

What about Digiorgio? He could provide solid depth in the middle if he can come back from his injury.