Green better than Incognito

cale

Green and incognito play two different positions.

Right, but if the reasoning behind not re-signing Incognito is penalties, then the comparison is valid. We're not comparing their on-field skill, as both are very good backups at their own position. So if we let RI walk due to being a hot-head, did we really gain anything?

Right, but if the reasoning behind not re-signing Incognito is penalties, then the comparison is valid. We're not comparing their on-field skill, as both are very good backups at their own position. So if we let RI walk due to being a hot-head, did we really gain anything?

We are deeper at guard and therefore can be more selective. We drafted 2 guys with high picks to start long term. Incognito would have been a backup and therefore needed to not get us in trouble when he was actually playing.

I think it was more than just penalties. But I don't think the bills announced why they didn't re-sign him. So any reason why we didn't is just speculation.

We are deeper at guard and therefore can be more selective. We drafted 2 guys with high picks to start long term. Incognito would have been a backup and therefore needed to not get us in trouble when he was actually playing.

Yes, we are technically deeper at Guard than tackle because we have 4 interior linemen to cover 3 spots. Leaving us 1 backup.

I'm not saying that Tackle isnt a need. But so is Guard. No one knows when Wood will be back and to what degree. So that gives us 3 guys at 3 spots right now.

edit: Just checked the roster and Simmons is a UFA as well, so that leaves us with Hangy, Levitre and an injured Wood. unless you are counting Meredith in there... that is 3 starters (kind of) for 3 spots. What happens in week 4 when one of them goes down?

As I said in the Lilja thread, I think we should keep an open mind about ANY free agent at ANY position. There are very few positions that we dont need players at right now.

In the 3 or 4 games he played in, how many penalties did Incognito have. I truly dont know, but I dont think it was many...

I think it was more than just penalties. But I don't think the bills announced why they didn't re-sign him. So any reason why we didn't is just speculation.

agreed completely and that is what I've been saying too. but in this case, i meant it for the sake of conversation.

IF we were to entertain the reasoning that a lot of people have posted about, then the comparison is valid.

I wasn't very clear. Sorry. I'm indifferent to Incognito not being re-signed. Though he did have a nice nasty streak. My main concern is if we are really "improving" the OL with this signing, why are we picking someone who has an even worse track record on false start penalties (though no where as many yards) and not much success?

Shouldn't we be looking to sign better talent?

C

Do they have anything that tracks whether holding penalties are the result of poor technique vs. the situation where they haul down a guy who beat them and has a free shot at the QB?

I watched Incognito with a pair of binoculars during the pats home game last year. He was the worst pass blocking professional football player i have ever seen. it was the game where the pats would often have zero defensive lineman on the field, and still got to our QBs in about three seconds.

it was however his first game with us. i'll give him that.

Green was signed to be the starter, both are starters probably not among the leagues elite but I don't mind the green signing and would like to sign RI as well. The problem with RI is that he will not have the chance to compete and would likely want that opportunity. We have 2 solid starters at G.

He is a right tackle and we needed a right tackle.

Why do you want to compare him to a guard?

hmmm...we had a young right tackle who got too many penalties and had trouble blocking...so we signed a 34 year old right tackle who got too many penalties and had trouble blocking?

Sounds like a character guy....and to think some of you complained about the possibility of signing Vick.

http://www.metrowny.com/blogs/archives/375...-75b0xw00d.html

Green was signed to be the starter, both are starters probably not among the leagues elite but I don't mind the green signing and would like to sign RI as well. The problem with RI is that he will not have the chance to compete and would likely want that opportunity. We have 2 solid starters at G.

Levitre, who is coming off a decent rookie year, and.... ??

Wood? I'm an optimist, but I also understand hoping for the best and planning for the worst. I would think that if RI was on the roster, he would definitely be competing for a guard spot. Not only is Wood's recovery an uncertainty but I think our intention is to move Wood to Center asap.

He is a right tackle and we needed a right tackle.

Why do you want to compare him to a guard?

My sentiments exactly...why is everybody bad mouthing the front office...we had NOTHING at OT, now we have something. A definite step in the right direction.

My sentiments exactly...why is everybody bad mouthing the front office...we had NOTHING at OT, now we have something. A definite step in the right direction.

Look I'm not a professional talent evaluator. But even a blind beaver can see that this guy is not an upgrade over what we do or don't have. The idea isn't to "just do something". The point is to do something that will make us better as a team. Instead we pay this guy $3M to make up numbers at the position when it's pretty apparent we can get the same production from someone off the street.

I'd take my chances with a rookie and whatever we get closer to training camp.

C