Kudos to Nix and Whaley

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No cap THIS year, but teams overpaying this year will feel it when the cap comes back.

Ok so lets talk high priced FA's. All I listed above are bad fits for what WE are doing. So who is out there worth the money that fits our systems? No one, at least not yet.

Also when the CAP comes back, there will once again be a basement/minimum salary required. Those teams that fell drastically below that (the Bills) will have to spend money in ways that aren't necessarily a good thing in order to meet the minimum salary level. Just to meet the minimum they will have to overpay when they could have gotten quality this year.

Keep justifying it any way you want they were contributors to SUCCESSFUL teams.

How exactly do you propose we sign those guys? The only way for the Bill to sign a name FA is to overpay. The team isn't good, the coaching staff isn't all that hyped up and our facilities are worse than most of the "contender" teams. That is before you factor in things like climate and attractiveness of the city as a whole. When we sign people, they will be role players who have been backups before and are offered an opportunity to compete for a starting position.

I actually have no problem not being big money free agent spenders......I dont see any extreme difference makers in this crop anyway....

BUT

Is we are going to be so draft dependent then our picks had better be SLAM DUNKS......no more Maybin type players that can play immediately but you hope eventually "fulfill their potential"

No more please Buddy

I don't think it's just the draft with no free agency, but it may be akin to what Bruce Allen of the Redskins mentioned in MMQB today,

Free agency isn't a day, and it's not a weekend. We think free agency runs 'til the first day of training camp. Let's see who you have a couple of months from now, not just who you have after a couple of days. What difference does it make when you sign them, if they help you?

Referring Article

What was his job in Pitt and why did they let him walk away?

He was the Director of Pro Personnel. So he was their John Guy. They actually offered him a raise to stay, but he came here to try and re-build the Bills.

"What we looked for — and I hate to say it because it's nothing against the superstars — but it's more of a family, team-oriented place," Whaley said. "The guys who come in, buy into the Steeler way. It's not an individual-honor thing, because they know individual honors will come if the team success comes. We always felt that we pick our stars in the draft and we retain those guys. Free agency was always more of a complementary piece, to help us fill in different holes or bridge the gap in certain ways."

Also when the CAP comes back, there will once again be a basement/minimum salary required. Those teams that fell drastically below that (the Bills) will have to spend money in ways that aren't necessarily a good thing in order to meet the minimum salary level. Just to meet the minimum they will have to overpay when they could have gotten quality this year.

Um we were 12th in salary paid last year so I doubt we will have an issue. Ralph has only been cheap with coaches. We have always spent to or near the cap. the problem has been morons like Donahoe, Levy and Brandon giving huge contracts to the WRONG guys as well as drafting the wrong guys in the first round and paying those high picks.

How exactly do you propose we sign those guys? The only way for the Bill to sign a name FA is to overpay. The team isn't good, the coaching staff isn't all that hyped up and our facilities are worse than most of the "contender" teams. That is before you factor in things like climate and attractiveness of the city as a whole. When we sign people, they will be role players who have been backups before and are offered an opportunity to compete for a starting position.

I wasn't asking for both players, just one to be a difference maker. And our facilities are tops in the NFL so i am not sure where you are getting that from. This isn't college where a kids name on the jumbo tron means something. We have done nothing to make this team better, I am not saying to waste cash on over priced signings but if you don't think that either one of those players can make us better than you do not watch much football.

I wasn't asking for both players, just one to be a difference maker. And our facilities are tops in the NFL so i am not sure where you are getting that from. This isn't college where a kids name on the jumbo tron means something. We have done nothing to make this team better, I am not saying to waste cash on over priced signings but if you don't think that either one of those players can make us better than you do not watch much football.

So a good WR and a good ILB makes us a ton better? Not at the salaries they are being paid. Any ILB in rounds 2-5 can have the same impact as Dansby. As for as Bolden is concerned, we have a guy who has talent and oft injured sitting on our roster right now.

So a good WR and a good ILB makes us a ton better? Not at the salaries they are being paid. Any ILB in rounds 2-5 can have the same impact as Dansby. As for as Bolden is concerned, we have a guy who has talent and oft injured sitting on our roster right now.

You have to be one of those loud mindless people who over inflate what some one else says to feel important. Look at my post, all I said was they would have made this team better. We do not have 1 piece of a 3-4 front 7 on this team, yet Dansby wouldn't have made an improvement. he is better than any LB we have on the team!!!

Any ILB in rounds 2-5 can have the same impact as Dansby.

:thumbsup:

I agree that the phish went overboard and gave Dansby too much money. But the guy is a great football player and you're just being ridiculous with stuff like this.

You have to be one of those loud mindless people who over inflate what some one else says to feel important. Look at my post, all I said was they would have made this team better. We do not have 1 piece of a 3-4 front 7 on this team, yet Dansby wouldn't have made an improvement. he is better than any LB we have on the team!!!

This is a good point.

They are doing it right. You know for all the Nix bashing, Whaley is the guy that runs Free agency to a majoritive extent. He scouts potential FA's then makes recomendations to Nix on who to bring in....which has been pretty much no one so far and I agree.

Peppers? Overhyped. Takes many plays off and is in it for the money only. He was going to the highest bidder which was Chicago. Funny, Washington didn't go after him....hummm....

Dansby? A 'good' ILB that doesn't rush the passer. He is so good Arizona just flat out let him walk. Nuff said.

Vanden bosch (sp). Pure 4-3 DE and he was going to play with his old DC so no one else had a shot.

Kampman? Sucked in the 3-4 in Green Bay, a pure 4-3 DE. Went straight to Jacksonville who sucks as well.

So tell me again, who was it exactly we were supposed to go out and get? I may be wrong but hasn't Buffalo signed a FA on the first day of FA every year from 04-09? What is our record over that time again?

So not only Nix doesn't feel there are any FA's that are going to make a drastic difference, Whaley who has spent a decade with one of the best teams in the NFL when it comes to finding talent, doesn't think so either.

Bottom line no matter how much Bills fans and local media B word and whine and complain, they are doing it right. They are cutting the underproducing fat, and they are not going to go out and just sign someone to appease the fanbase and I love it. I love the fact Nix and company are saying screw the whining fans and worthless media, we have a plan and are sticking to it!

If there isn't anyone out there that can really help your team in FA then dont' sign anyone. I feel when things calm down and some of these guys finally understand their true market value, we will sign a couple guys. But in the end this team is going to be built through the DRAFT first and formost.

Amen brother.....

:thumbsup:

I agree that the phish went overboard and gave Dansby too much money. But the guy is a great football player and you're just being ridiculous with stuff like this.

We won't be able to tell if the guppies over paid until he steps on the field. None of these guys warrant the amount they got paid but I would have loved to have them here.

Fins will have a real problem if they can't find Ferguson's replacement. Dansby will be un-protected, then we will see what he is worth.

We won't be able to tell if the guppies over paid until he steps on the field.

We've already seen him on the field for years now and he's already proven he is a great 'backer. But for that money he better be the best LB in the NFL. And as much as I like him, that's a stretch.

They are doing it right. You know for all the Nix bashing, Whaley is the guy that runs Free agency to a majoritive extent. He scouts potential FA's then makes recomendations to Nix on who to bring in....which has been pretty much no one so far and I agree.

Peppers? Overhyped. Takes many plays off and is in it for the money only. He was going to the highest bidder which was Chicago. Funny, Washington didn't go after him....hummm....

Dansby? A 'good' ILB that doesn't rush the passer. He is so good Arizona just flat out let him walk. Nuff said.

Vanden bosch (sp). Pure 4-3 DE and he was going to play with his old DC so no one else had a shot.

Kampman? Sucked in the 3-4 in Green Bay, a pure 4-3 DE. Went straight to Jacksonville who sucks as well.

So tell me again, who was it exactly we were supposed to go out and get? I may be wrong but hasn't Buffalo signed a FA on the first day of FA every year from 04-09? What is our record over that time again?

So not only Nix doesn't feel there are any FA's that are going to make a drastic difference, Whaley who has spent a decade with one of the best teams in the NFL when it comes to finding talent, doesn't think so either.

Bottom line no matter how much Bills fans and local media B word and whine and complain, they are doing it right. They are cutting the underproducing fat, and they are not going to go out and just sign someone to appease the fanbase and I love it. I love the fact Nix and company are saying screw the whining fans and worthless media, we have a plan and are sticking to it!

If there isn't anyone out there that can really help your team in FA then dont' sign anyone. I feel when things calm down and some of these guys finally understand their true market value, we will sign a couple guys. But in the end this team is going to be built through the DRAFT first and formost.

Would've contacted Kevin Walter to compliment Evans; maybe they did and he wanted to stay in Houston. Now i might look in Randle El. Think most of us feel like we have many holes to fill, so it would be nice to fill atleast one thru FA. I do agree, we need to be smart about it and not just jump on a big name!

Riiiiight....Dansby isn't worth a run. I guess we should have known because Bill Parcells knows so little about football talent. In any event we really don't need a linebacker because we are going to a 3-4 defense where it isn't very important to have good linebackers? Face it. The result of free agency for the bills is the loss of a couple of fair to good players and getting nothing in return...But Buddy has said it can't be done in one year. He's right...if he isn't doing anything it might take ten or fifteen years!

Really? Well lets look at some stats shall we?

Dansby 46 games played over the last 3 years.

325 takles (average 7.06 per game)

6 Ints

7 Forced fumbles

8.5 sacks.

Poz 31 games played in 3 years.

241 takles (average 7.96 per year)

4 ints

4 forced fumbles

1 sack.

Um I don't really see how Dansby is that much better than Poz. If you average Poz numbers over 46 games (adding back in for those lost due to injury) his stats look like this...

366 Tackles

6 Ints

6 forced fumbles

What did Dansby get paid again? Dansby wouldn't have been a big upgrade for us.

We've already seen him on the field for years now and he's already proven he is a great 'backer. But for that money he better be the best LB in the NFL. And as much as I like him, that's a stretch.

He is a GOOD backer, not a great one. We have the same thing in Poz if he can keep from breaking his arm.

Really? Well lets look at some stats shall we?

Dansby 46 games played over the last 3 years.

325 takles (average 7.06 per game)

6 Ints

7 Forced fumbles

8.5 sacks.

Poz 31 games played in 3 years.

241 takles (average 7.96 per year)

4 ints

4 forced fumbles

1 sack.

Um I don't really see how Dansby is that much better than Poz. If you average Poz numbers over 46 games (adding back in for those lost due to injury) his stats look like this...

366 Tackles

6 Ints

6 forced fumbles

What did Dansby get paid again? Dansby wouldn't have been a big upgrade for us.

Really? Averaging stats.

We just paid a guy $3 M per year who probably wouldn't have made the Raiders in 2010. These guys are jokers.