WRs in the Draft

With WR now being a need (unless Gailey intends to use Roscoe, the only WR on the roster with experience) I could see Golden Tate being an option. I would in fact like him more than Bryant, though Bryant has the better upside.

Golden Tate is Steve Smith v2.0

I'd like Thomas out of GT, mostly because if his connection with Gailey. He has said some good things about him and I think Gailey would go for him in the 2nd or 3rd if things play out that way.

he seems like a quality player and person, but think he'll go higher than 3rd, and think we need to go w/ NT for our second pick.

His college stats are lower than they could be, since GT plays flexbone

Why do so many fans fall in love with the WR position? It's the second (or arguably third) easiest position to replace. Skill positions may be popular among fans, but they are rarely the pressing need that many of you pretend it to be.

Do you really think that the 2009 Owens was so good that he can be only replaced by a high draft pick?

he seems like a quality player and person, but think he'll go higher than 3rd, and think we need to go w/ NT for our second pick.

His college stats are lower than they could be, since GT plays flexbone

I saw someone post elsewhere that his average yards per catch in GT was 25+

If that is true, then considering the flexbone offense he was in he is a great player. So, yes he most likely will be taken in the 2nd but with that foot injury I think there is a possibility he slips to the 3rd and we might take him. However we should focus on other positions so in reality it most likely will not happen.

Why do so many fans fall in love with the WR position? It's the second (or arguably third) easiest position to replace. Skill positions may be popular among fans, but they are rarely the pressing need that many of you pretend it to be.

Do you really think that the 2009 Owens was so good that he can be only replaced by a high draft pick?

If WR is so easy to replace, who has been a great Bills WR since Andre Reed?

I do think he can be replaced by a draft pick. He plays half assed, defenses could tell by TO's body language if it was a run or not, his #s werent anything special. He has great talent but is hearless and selfish. The man crush this place got on TO needs to stop!

I saw someone post elsewhere that his average yards per catch in GT was 25+

If that is true, then considering the flexbone offense he was in he is a great player. So, yes he most likely will be taken in the 2nd but with that foot injury I think there is a possibility he slips to the 3rd and we might take him. However we should focus on other positions so in reality it most likely will not happen.

yeah that is an insane average. Maybe cause the defenses were so focused on the run game?

Read interview w/ him once, said his chances were rare, so had to make best of them. he could have transferred to another program that passed more when Paul Johnson came in, but stayed. classy.

here's stats, yep 25 yd ave...

had 46 receptions for 1,154 yards and eight touchdowns last season. During his three-year career at Tech, Thomas caught 120 passes for 2,339 yards and 14 touchdowns.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1114965

My point about Tate was twofold.

1) We will have to acquire some WRs this offseason. I assume this will be done via an inexpensive veteran FA, but if not....

2) Tate is Gailey's type of player. Clearly we have larger needs and I HIGHLY doubt we could ever draft Tate (who will be gone in the top 20 after his performance at the combine). But, I'm just saying, he is our new coach's type of player. And I think he will have a strong career.

I also just wanted to get some discussion going. Everyone thinks that OT is a lock for pick number 9. And if it isn't a lock, the consensus is we will go with a QB/DT.

Well, there is a good chance that the OT we target will be gone by 9. And there is an even larger chance that the top QBs and DTs will be off the board at 9. Consequently, there won't be a NT worth taking at 9. As for OT, Okung solidified himself as a top 5 pick after the combine and if Al Davis has half of a brain left, Campbell will go to the Raiders. There is also a strong possibility that Bulaga could go before the Bills are on the clock (this is obviously the worst of all scenarios as literally NO player the Bills would have taken would fall to 9). That leaves Williams and Davis left for the Bills. No way we take Williams despite having a hole at RT. And Davis had a poor combine and is very raw. Even if Bulaga fell to the Bills, there are question marks about him and some people don't see him deserving of a top 10 pick. I think he will be great, but I'm just saying...there are many who disagree. Essentially, there are those who think Bulaga is the second rated OT after Okung...and there are those who believe he shouldn't be a top 10 pick. Who knows where the Bills stand on this.

So, the question is, who do we pick? Maybe someone like McClain. But, I wouldn't rule out a WR either.

If WR is so easy to replace, who has been a great Bills WR since Andre Reed?

Peerless Price and Eric Moulds have both produced more receptions in a season than Reed. Evans has done fine. The great WR is reflective of the QB. It is easy to replace.

With WR now being a need (unless Gailey intends to use Roscoe, the only WR on the roster with experience) I could see Golden Tate being an option. I would in fact like him more than Bryant, though Bryant has the better upside.

Golden Tate is Steve Smith v2.0

I'm definitely on record as supporting a pickup of Tate. If he can be had in the second round, the Bills should go after him. He is exactly like S. Smith - underrated, not prototypical WR, just gets open.

The many Golden jokes would be an added bonus.

yeah that is an insane average. Maybe cause the defenses were so focused on the run game?

Read interview w/ him once, said his chances were rare, so had to make best of them. he could have transferred to another program that passed more when Paul Johnson came in, but stayed. classy.

here's stats, yep 25 yd ave...

had 46 receptions for 1,154 yards and eight touchdowns last season. During his three-year career at Tech, Thomas caught 120 passes for 2,339 yards and 14 touchdowns.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1114965

Good point on defenses focusing on the run.

I like that he states that he had to make the most of his chances. That shows he is a dedicated player and shouldn't be a disappointment. I mean if he makes the most of all his opportunities, maybe he could turn a short pass from one of our current dismal QBs into a big play. :wallbash:

Peerless Price and Eric Moulds have both produced more receptions in a season than Reed. Evans has done fine. The great WR is reflective of the QB. It is easy to replace.

Are you confusing Andre with Josh???? WR is probably the hardest position for a rookie in this league... tho I agree having a good QB can make a good receiver, but to say it is easy to replace just isn't accurate.

I'm definitely on record as supporting a pickup of Tate. If he can be had in the second round, the Bills should go after him. He is exactly like S. Smith - underrated, not prototypical WR, just gets open.

Tate imo has insane ball skills, but his height could be a little better... on this roster that is.

I like Evans and I will give you Moulds. But Peerless is a joke to call great. Mentioning him in the same breath as Reed is blaspheme

This isn't a Golden joke but just an amusing anecdote about a wide receiver named Golden.

In 1973, the Dallas Cowboys drafted wide receiver Golden Richards in the 2nd round. He was a fast, white boy receiver and was coached by Tom Landry until 1977.

In 1981, the Dallas Cowboys drafted wide receiver Doug Donley in the 2nd round. He was a fast, white boy receiver and was coached by Tom Landry until 1984.

After making a difficult catch for a TD in 1983, Doug Donley trotted to the sidelines. As he passed by Landry, the legendary coach yelled to him, "Nice catch, Golden!"

All I got.