Bills have reduced their payroll over last two years

jahnyc

No TO, Denney or Reed on the roster this year. Butler retired and Schobel may as well. I do think that the Bills will trade Whitner. This must leave us with one of the lowest payrolls in the NFL going into free agency. We have very few stars and very few highly paid players (not even a highly paid QB).

I understand that there is no salary cap (or floor) in 2010, but a ton of money has come off of our payroll in the last couple of years. I hope this means that the Bills will be at least moderately active in free agency, even with a relatively weak group of free agents. We do have a lot of holes and a need for depth.

No TO, Denney or Reed on the roster this year. Butler retired and Schobel may as well. I do think that the Bills will trade Whitner. This must leave us with one of the lowest payrolls in the NFL going into free agency. We have very few stars and very few highly paid players (not even a highly paid QB).

I understand that there is no salary cap (or floor) in 2010, but a ton of money has come off of our payroll in the last couple of years. I hope this means that the Bills will be at least moderately active in free agency, even with a relatively weak group of free agents. We do have a lot of holes and a need for depth.

Don't forget the team saved millions by dealing "malcontent" Jason Peters. All teams will be cutting payroll in 2010 because there's no cap penalty to pay for dropping overpaid veterans.

League-wide, there's going to be some bad football out there. It seems to be the Bills are riding out the string by squeezing revenue from the team until the inevitable. I seriously doubt their commitment to winning, especially if they don't see an urgency to win after 10 straight non-playoff seasons and only one winning campaign.

Good point that teams will be dropping overpaid veterans since there will be no salary cap ramifications. I hope this means that the free agent pool will improve if decent players are dropped. Unfortunately, I doubt that the Bills will be active in free agency this year.

active in free agency...HA!

The problem for these players is 2011. Many teams will want to sign them to 1 year deals. The owners wa, if the have to do a multi-year deal, is a clause that says the player does not get paid that year and his contract is extended a year. Many also want players to accept bonus money in 2 stages, part in the signing year and part in the year after the lockout.

You need to remember too, that there is no salary cap. But their also is no salary floor either. So all of the borderline practice squad players will most likely have their salaries cut significantly thus saving teams money. This is why the players union is for salary caps (and floors).

It makes sense to cut crappy players when you have better players available to replace the crappy players. The Bills will not be able to fill all of their needs (starters and depth) through this year's draft. They will need to sign some free agents if they want to be competitive this season.

The problem with free agency this year (assuming it is uncapped) is that teams will be able to better protect their younger, better players from free agency -- the players a team really wants to build around. The players that will be dumped because there are no cap ramifications to doing so are not going to be the players that the Bills can build around. Just the opposite, these players are going to be the big name and other players that are busts, have been injured, or are otherwise out of gas and can't live up to their bloated guaranteed contracts. Adding another T.O. isn't going to make this a playoff team anymore than it did last year.

What is your point? We are discussing payroll for the 2010 season, not the 2009 season. The Bills will not be re-signing Owens, Denney and Reed. Butler has retired and Schobel may retire. That is more than $20 million in obligations that the Bills will no longer have, which would likely put the Bills in the bottom quarter of payroll for 2010.

That is more than $20 million in obligations that the Bills will no longer have, which would likely put the Bills in the bottom quarter of payroll for 2010.

$13.5 million of which are two players. With escalators on the remaining roster, that number will be easily be paid out in 2010.

Looking at salary structure in February is about as useful as conducting mock drafts or speculating on FA.

What is your point? We are discussing payroll for the 2010 season, not the 2009 season. The Bills will not be re-signing Owens, Denney and Reed. Butler has retired and Schobel may retire. That is more than $20 million in obligations that the Bills will no longer have, which would likely put the Bills in the bottom quarter of payroll for 2010.

We make sure to lock up Stroud and Lee Evans to top 5 contracts...we provided $21 million in guarantees to Schobel...Whitner, McKelvin, Beast Mode, and Maybin average $5 million per thanks to their slotted salaries...And Roscoe ($3 million) and Kelsay ($6 million) are anything but underpaid.

The point is that yeah, our payroll is high, but it's because we draft relatively high every year and we re-sign our players (except for Peters) to contracts that make no sense.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...nfl&id=1429

How about doing a little research before you post:

Bills annual payroll

12th highest payroll in 2009

The info on that site seems to be seriously flawed and hence unreliable.

with the 2009 cap minimum at about $110 mil, how can the Rams have a salary number of $62 mil?

and with the Bills employing a cash to cap strategy, why is it surprising that their listed salary base of $111 mil right around the league mandated minimum of $110 mil.

Without understanding the details of how USA Today compiled those numbers, your reliance on it is worthless.

I would think that looking at salary structure/payroll in March is critical to making decisions regarding restricted free agents as well as addressing needs in free agency, at least for most teams.

I would not be surprised if Whitner and Lynch were not on the opening day roster. Whitner, McKelvin and Maybin are all grossly overpaid based on their production. I am not advocating releasing them, but high draft picks can kill a team if they are not productive.

The info on that site seems to be seriously flawed and hence unreliable.

with the 2009 cap minimum at about $110 mil, how can the Rams have a salary number of $62 mil?

and with the Bills employing a cash to cap strategy, why is it surprising that their listed salary base of $111 mil right around the league mandated minimum of $110 mil.

Without understanding the details of how USA Today compiled those numbers, your reliance on it is worthless.

Because cap numbers have nothing to do with actual salary.