Quarterback Discussion

Astrobot

The word from my buds down at DraftTek:

"There is a lot of talk going on as to who is the best QB in the draft this year. Some people have Sam Bradford coming off the board first and some have Jimmy Clausen.

In the highlights that I have watched it appears to me that Sam Bradford is the better QB. Sam Bradford throws a nice ball and puts it in the right place on nearly every throw. He stays strong in the pocket and delivers a nice ball even while getting hit. His numbers are phenomenal. In his 31 games as a starter, Bradford has throw 88 touch down passes compared to 16 interceptions. His TD/INT 5.5/1 which is out of this world. The shoulder injury is being over emphasized and he has put on 20 pounds of muscle thus far as reported by ESPN. The only other situation is that he hasn't taken many snaps from under center. Is that a serious argument? I can take snaps from under center, I am not sure as to why that is being played out as such a big deal.

Jimmy Clausen has a strong arm and is fairly poised in the pocket, sometimes he gets a little squirmish, but often makes good decisions. He has a quick release that scouts rave about. The problem with Jimmy Clausen in my opinion is that he forces way too many deep balls, throwing into double coverage just to get the ball to his play maker Golden Tate. While that is not always a bad idea it seems to be too much of a common practice for him. Also he puts way too much air under his deep ball. In the pros the safeties cover much more ground and the DB's are going to be able to make a better play on the ball than most of the college DB's. He had a great Junior season, but other that that his first two were rather shaky.

Overall I believe Sam Bradford is the better QB in this draft. Jimmy Clausen has all the tools, but has yet to put them together to produce the numbers that Sam Bradford has put up thus far. "

Sam Bradford stats

http://espn.go.com/n...playerId=188934

Jimmy Clausen stats

http://espn.go.com/n...playerId=231813

Sam Bradford Highlights

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=DwstGmNajh0

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ztPkDsOlGzU

Jimmy Clausen Highlights

http://www.youtube.c...xc&feature=fvst

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=RGHzJo8Bc5k

Highlight comparing both QB's

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=u32oCtJ1ee8

It doesn't surprise me the Bradford is starting to look like the better quarterback. I never got into the Clausen hype.

I never got into the Bradford Hype.

Qbs who dont lead their offense scare me, ie OK being a big smash mouth run first, play action pass second team. I know he had the stats and won the Heisman, but he never carried his team, and when they asked him to, he failed. NDs O was all Clausen to his WRs, no running game, no OL. They lost games sure but the score was 45-42, thats not on the Os shoulders. They way Clausen carried ND is the way Ryan carried BC (BTW Clausen is no where near as good as Ryan, just better than Bradford)

I never got into the Bradford Hype.

Qbs who dont lead their offense scare me, ie OK being a big smash mouth run first, play action pass second team. I know he had the stats and won the Heisman, but he never carried his team, and when they asked him to, he failed. NDs O was all Clausen to his WRs, no running game, no OL. They lost games sure but the score was 45-42, thats not on the Os shoulders. They way Clausen carried ND is the way Ryan carried BC (BTW Clausen is no where near as good as Ryan, just better than Bradford)

I never said I bought into Bradford either. Personally, I don't think that either one of them is all too great but if I had to make a choice between the two I would most likely choose Bradford.

We won't get to pick either anyways and by the way astro, I love your latest mock!!!! I know some will say they can't handle seeing the name Norwood again but I say, you gotta take that curse and squash it!!! What a better way than with a LB to do so!!! My only other little change would be a WR like GT's Thomas or the WR from Missouri in the 4th instead of Robinson the QB. I'm waiting till next year on a QB in the draft. I'm open to a trade in free agency though.

I'm no expert, and watching games you've got to be impressed with both QB's - they looked pretty good. It's transplanting the talent around them to that of the NFL and then predicting how good they'll be. And then that depends on where they go, too. How many talented QB's sunk into oblivion because they went to a team with a bad coaching staff or terrible talent? I guess you want the QB's who will make everyone around them better, one not willing to accept excuses. That is why I'd love to see Tebow get snagged up by the Bills. I think he will just keep trying and working until he gets it, and make everyone around him better for it. But, back to the top 2, just watching them, I am reminded of Tom Brady when I watch Bradford. His movements are similar, his release... that can't be a bad thing.

I never said I bought into Bradford either. Personally, I don't think that either one of them is all too great but if I had to make a choice between the two I would most likely choose Bradford.

I dont like either that much, just Clausen more. Clausen I would consider taking over Bulaga, Bradford I would not. Hopefully we dont get the choice though, because I have zero confidence in our scouting staff choosing the right player.

I dont like either that much, just Clausen more. Clausen I would consider taking over Bulaga, Bradford I would not. Hopefully we dont get the choice though, because I have zero confidence in our scouting staff choosing the right player.

I would Bulaga before either, but chances are both QBs will be gone anyway.

I'm waiting till next year on a QB in the draft. I'm open to a trade in free agency though.

+1

I am not high on any QBs this year, but might consider a mid round pick on LeFevour, Pike or Robinson. I would like to see players who could contribute quicker though seeing as any of those guys would be projects. Next years draft class should have better QB talent.

So the guy raves about Bradford's 5.5:1 ratio and criticizes Clausen for forcing the ball? Uh...Clausen had a 7:1 TD:INT ratio last year.

Clausen hasn't put it together? He was right at the top of every passing category last year playing on a team that was constantly forced to put up huge scoring numbers to stay in game.

I don't know which one will be the better pro, but that's a pretty flawed analysis. Sounds like a guy whose research consisted of watching ESPN highlights.

So the guy raves about Bradford's 5.5:1 ratio and criticizes Clausen for forcing the ball? Uh...Clausen had a 7:1 TD:INT ratio last year.

Clausen hasn't put it together? He was right at the top of every passing category last year playing on a team that was constantly forced to put up huge scoring numbers to stay in game.

I don't know which one will be the better pro, but that's a pretty flawed analysis. Sounds like a guy whose research consisted of watching ESPN highlights.

that was exactly what i was thinking. im not going to argue which one looked better, wholl be the better pro, yadda yadda. thats all talent around them and scheme in the pros. however, it even said from highlights ive watched. not games, highlights. he doesnt mention the fact that it isnt a problem of not taking snaps under center. its playing in a spread offense. brradford took some snaps from center, unlike tebow who is struggling at that. bradford played in with better talent around him, with one of the best lines in 2008. when he didnt have the best line in 2009, he got destroyed. also, i havent read anywhere that he put on 20 lbs of muscle, but what else are you going to do when you havent played football in 6 months?

also, clausen played in a pro style offense, making defensive reads every game out. he had better stats that bradford did in the categories that guy listed. im not going to argue that one of thier spirals is nicer, but boller threw the tightest spiral 80 yards that anyones ever seen. how did that work out?

finally, im hoping the bills draft bradford, not clausen. next to ohio state, theres no team i hate more than the fighting irish. saying that, i just dont get all the clausen hate. hes the best statistical junior to come out of college football ever and thats not even up for debate. he also did it behind a trash line. if the bills drafted clausen id be happy, i just wouldnt run out and get a jersey. either QB is a drastic upgrade to whatever we have here, and i think both are going to suceed. i would just deduct that from watching thier games that bradford has a higher ceiling, and clausen can step in right away. then again, if youre not drafting on potential, you take clausen who is a safer bet.

We won't get to pick either anyways and by the way astro, I love your latest mock!!!! I know some will say they can't handle seeing the name Norwood again but I say, you gotta take that curse and squash it!!! What a better way than with a LB to do so!!! My only other little change would be a WR like GT's Thomas or the WR from Missouri in the 4th instead of Robinson the QB. I'm waiting till next year on a QB in the draft. I'm open to a trade in free agency though.

Danario Alexander, WR MO. 6-5, 220, 4.4, great hands, good route runner, two knee injuries will have him drop to us in the 4th round if we are lucky. A great combine will move him up to third rd. came on real strong and arguably best college receiver the second half of the season.

Yeah, it really was terrible analysis. This part in particular:

"The only other situation is that he hasn't taken many snaps from under center. Is that a serious argument? I can take snaps from under center, I am not sure as to why that is being played out as such a big deal."

Um, really? You run a draft site and you think that ESPN is referring to the act of taking a snap from center? Of course anyone could take a snap from center. What ESPN is talking about is playing QB from under center, having a different look of the field, taking 3/5 step drops, running a play action. It's an entirely different way to play if you have been sitting back in the shotgun for three or four years.