[OT] Bass Pro deal is on for the Aud

Lori

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably not, rt, but at least they'll chase the rats out of the Aud....

Hey, at least somebody's trying to do something on the waterfront. Long past time that happened.

VA, the Bass Pro "superstores" are like hunting/fishing/outdoors stores on steroids - we're talking something in the area of 130K square feet, devoted solely to outdoor sports. A lot of the sportsmen I know actually see them as tourism destinations, and set up bus trips to visit the ones closest to us (currently Reading and now Harrisburg). One article I read said these stores draw in an average of two million visitors each year... and right now, especially with no Sabres, that's two million people the downtown area wouldn't mind seeing.

Josh Mora just did a good "Empire Presents" program on this. Will it cure all that ails Buffalo/Erie County? Probably not. But it can't be any worse than letting the waterfront continue to rot, can it?

EDIT: They'll be replaying that "Empire Presents" show several times in the next few days - 1:30 tomorrow, 6 and 10 PM Friday, if anyone wants to see what the fuss is about.

Is it anything like the Bass-O-Matic '76???

(Mmmmm...that's good fish.)

132856[/snapback]

No, but you can probably buy one there.

They put one into the Southside Mall in Savannah. Very popular, especially in a place where a lot of people hunt and fish. I'm glad for Buffalo to get it. I'm guessing it will pull a lot of Canada traffic as well.

Having lived in Buffalo/WNY for all of my 32 years, The Bass Pro in Buffalo will be the only one that fails and will do so within two years. Who the hell will go downtown to a fishing store in the dead of winter? Every other store in Downtown Buffalo has failed, this one will be no different. It will actually be a shame to see the Aud torn down. They should have kept the main rink and built a Hockey complex like the Pepsi Center in Amherst with the main rink housing a Junior team and maybe some Indoor Soccer or Basketball and 4 or 5 other rinks with a proshop & a Tim Horton's or something. There is a serious lack of ice time available in Buffalo for the kids. Technically, The Aud is not "Waterfront" property. It's a few blocks from the water but it's not considered waterfront development.

Not to familiar with Bass Pro but I did watch the special on it tonight on empire. Reminds me a place we have in Michigan called Cabelas. Cabelas is located in a very small town called Dundee here in Michigan. Previous to Cabellas arrival it was economically shot, since then it has flourished.

The place is busy 24/7 and people come from all over the United States to go their. It really is crazy just how much Cabelas sparked the Dundee economy, hopefully Bass Pro can do the same for Buffalo and WNY.

Having lived in Buffalo/WNY for all of my 32 years, The Bass Pro in Buffalo will be the only one that fails and will do so within two years. Who the hell will go downtown to a fishing store in the dead of winter? Every other store in Downtown Buffalo has failed, this one will be no different. It will actually be a shame to see the Aud torn down. They should have kept the main rink and built a Hockey complex like the Pepsi Center in Amherst with the main rink housing a Junior team and maybe some Indoor Soccer or Basketball and 4 or 5 other rinks with a proshop & a Tim Horton's or something. There is a serious lack of ice time available in Buffalo for the kids. Technically, The Aud is not "Waterfront" property. It's a few blocks from the water but it's not considered waterfront development.

133086[/snapback]

You could always pick a fight with the manager to spice things up a bit.

:P

133086[/snapback]

The Aud WAS waterfront property at one time... Prior to the building of the outer and inner breakwaters on Lake Erie.

I think there was a seiche that prompted the building of the breakwaters in the late 1800's. When the seiche rolled through it pushed a wall of water that would have put the Aud 10 feet under water. It happened at night and also swept a lot of people away while they slept... This being in Buffalo's harbor district, which was predominantly poor class, shanty construction, red-light type district.

Just a historical note.

:w00t::P

Main Entry: seiche

Pronunciation: 'sAsh, 'sEch

Function: noun

Etymology: French

: an oscillation of the surface of a landlocked body of water (as a lake) that varies in period from a few minutes to several hours

Further note: Strong low pressure moving over the lake... Creates a inland "tidal wave" effect that can cause sudden storm surge on the landlocked body of water.

Here is are better description:

Small rhythmic seiches are almost always present on larger lakes, and the frequency of the oscillation is determined by the size of the body, its depth and contours, and the water temperature. On the North American Great Lakes seiche is often called slosh. It is always present but is usually unnoticeable except during periods of unusual calm.

Major seiches often occur during earthquakes and may be caused by wind or underwater landslides. Lake Erie, because of its shallowness and elongation can occasionally have wind caused extreme seiches of up to 15 feet (5 meters) between the ends. The first appearance is similar to a storm surge like those caused by hurricanes along ocean coasts, but the seiche effect can cause oscillation back and forth across the lake for some time. Hurricane Hazel piled up water along the northwestern Lake Ontario shoreline near Toronto, causing extensive flooding, and established a seiche that subsequently caused flooding along the south shore.

----------

In simple terms, what is a seiche? Could a seiche counteract the forward energy of a tsunami? How do you pronounce "seiche"?

Every enclosed body of water has a number of natural resonances. If you sit in a bathtub part full of water and rock back and forth you'll find that at the right period (about a second) you can easily get the waves to grow until they overflow the bath. The resonant oscillation of the water is a seiche. Seiches are often generated in swimming pools by small oscillations from earthquakes - the oscillations happen to be at the right frequency for the swimming pools to "catch" them. During the Northridge earthquake of 1994, swimming pools all over Southern California overflowed. During the great Alaska earthquake of 1964, swimming pools as far away as Puerto Rico were set into oscillation!

Tsunamis generate seiches too, although we usually do not consider them as seiches. The predominant period of the tsunami that hit Hawaii in 1946 was fifteen minutes. The natural resonant period of Hilo Bay is about half-an-hour. That meant that every second wave was in phase with the motion of Hilo Bay so that the sloshing of the bay built up. We usually think of the damage to Hilo in 1946 as being simply from the tsunami, but it was really a combination of the tsunami and a tsunami-generated seiche.

Could a seiche counteract a tsunami? I assume here you are asking if a seiche generated by seismic waves could counteract any tsunami generated by the earthquake. Interesting idea! I'm afraid the answer is "no," for two reasons. The first reason is timing. On the deep ocean, tsunamis travel about 800 km/hour (500 mph). That's about 0.2 km/s. Earthquake waves travel much faster, say 8 km/s (i.e., forty times faster). Any seiche excited by earthquake waves will have died down before the tsunami arrives. The second reason is frequency of oscillation. Earthquake waves tend to have most of their energy at periods (the time from one wave crest to the next) of ten seconds to a few minutes. Tsunamis tend to have periods of five minutes to as much as an hour. So a seiche excited by earthquake waves would be at too high a frequency to interact with the tsunami.

How do you pronounce "seiche?" Sigh-shh. The word was introduced to science by the Swiss seismologist F.A. Forel in 1890. The word had apparently long been used in the German-speaking part of Switzerland to describe oscillations in alpine lakes.

Having lived in Buffalo/WNY for all of my 32 years, The Bass Pro in Buffalo will be the only one that fails and will do so within two years. Who the hell will go downtown to a fishing store in the dead of winter? Every other store in Downtown Buffalo has failed, this one will be no different...........

Well aren't you Mr.Positive? I guess Buffalo should just give up & just bury the downtown area?? :P