Fascinating read on Buffalo and Bills from 1969

jack_spikes

I guess I should have said his mockery of the Buffalo goes beyond fashion. I try not to read this article any more. I saw it when it came out and it has gotten worse with time. It is irresponsible journalism that goes beyond humor.

Yet did he really misconstrue what people thought of the place? After all, Buffalo has lost *over half* of its population since 1960.

Yet did he really misconstrue what people thought of the place? After all, Buffalo has lost *over half* of its population since 1960.

Oh, and you know what all the people that left thought of the place , must be nice. I'll bet they left because they agreed with his article and that caused a mass exodos. Right, I'll bet the loss of jobs in the area has nothing to do with it.

The most startling thing about that article is how much things haven't changed in 40 years. The county legislature diddling about what to do about developing a $50M stadium? My, how things change. :rolleyes:

And 1948 wouldn't be a bad year for Buffalo to be stuck in, all things considered.

Buffalonians have a certain right to torpor in the area of civic boosterism. Their city is hard to love. It is dominated by heavy industry: steel mills, refineries, auto assembly plants and chemical businesses that rely on the cheap power generated in nearby Niagara Falls.

Well that's been fixed,anyway.

QUOTE Buffalonians have a certain right to torpor in the area of civic boosterism. Their city is hard to love. It is dominated by heavy industry: steel mills, refineries, auto assembly plants and chemical businesses that rely on the cheap power generated in nearby Niagara Falls.

Well that's been fixed,anyway.

Yup. Got that goin' for us..

I hate dating myself like this. I remember reading the original piece in my brother's SI when it came out. There was a hideous picture of WMS after a rain with it -- puddles, potholes, cracks in the walls.

IIRC the writer, Brock Yates, was from WNY -- Lockport, I think.

I hate dating myself like this. I remember reading the original piece in my brother's SI when it came out. There was a hideous picture of WMS after a rain with it -- puddles, potholes, cracks in the walls.

IIRC the writer, Brock Yates, was from WNY -- Lockport, I think.

You are correct. Lockport HS. Fascinating guy who also created the Cannonball Run; I used to subscribe to Car and Driver just to read his columns ...