Jared Veldheer

Kingfish

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1053376

But at D1, Veldheer looks every bit the part of a draft prospect. He's a lean 315 pounds at 6 feet 8. He can bench press 225 pounds 33 times, high numbers for someone with 33-inch arms. He's a former basketball player, and his athleticism shows it. Off the field, he has a GPA of better than 3.1 and will graduate with a biology degree when he finishes his thesis after the draft.

"He'll blow the Combine up," Hester said. "He'll probably be the most impressive lineman there. He'll look like a DB compared to the tackles, he's so athletic. He'll just stand out because he moves like a skill player."

An NFL director of player personnel who wished to remain anonymous said Veldheer isn't a finished product but that "you can't teach that size and athletic ability. The fact he runs so well makes him all the more interesting." He also said Veldheer should eventually be a starter at right tackle with some strength development.

As I also started a similar post, that was kabashed by Beerball, here are my thoughts:

For a player that may go late in the draft, this guy could be interesting in multiple ways. They are saying LT, but at 6'8" 315 with basketball type athleticism, he could be a Pete Metzelaars type TE. He could end up being a monster blocker, but if his height and speed are there, he would be a HUGE target.

Think about the following - run a spread offense with Nelson (6'5") and Owens (6'2") (assuming he returns, otherwise Hardy (6'5") or Johnson (6'2")) as your wide receivers, move Evans to the slot, put Veldheer (6'8") at TE and Jackson in the backfield. This would give you effectively 6 real offensive lineman for running downs and some really big targets to throw at. Plus, with Nelson's versatility, you could go double tight in a hurry up. I think with this height, you could sacrifice a little of your receiving speed and really do some damage, especially in the short-medium passing game.

As I also started a similar post, that was kabashed by Beerball, here are my thoughts:

For a player that may go late in the draft, this guy could be interesting in multiple ways. They are saying LT, but at 6'8" 315 with basketball type athleticism, he could be a Pete Metzelaars type TE. He could end up being a monster blocker, but if his height and speed are there, he would be a HUGE target.

Think about the following - run a spread offense with Nelson (6'5") and Owens (6'2") (assuming he returns, otherwise Hardy (6'5") or Johnson (6'2")) as your wide receivers, move Evans to the slot, put Veldheer (6'8") at TE and Jackson in the backfield. This would give you effectively 6 real offensive lineman for running downs and some really big targets to throw at. Plus, with Nelson's versatility, you could go double tight in a hurry up. I think with this height, you could sacrifice a little of your receiving speed and really do some damage, especially in the short-medium passing game.

I didn't 'kabash' anything, just pointed out that someone else had already posted the same article.

I didn't 'kabash' anything, just pointed out that someone else had already posted the same article.

Agreed, but given the unwritten board rules, I don't want to waste space with duplicate topics. When I started my post, I don't think the other existed. But by the time I got it up, Kingfish beat me to it.

Agreed, but given the unwritten board rules, I don't want to waste space with duplicate topics. When I started my post, I don't think the other existed. But by the time I got it up, Kingfish beat me to it.

Was this posted before? I searched for "Veldheer" but nothing came up.

kind of a raw talent like peters was only this guy has played on the line before. throw this guy at rt and see how he does. we need to get a an experienced guy in front of him and work him as a backup...like someone said he can check in as tackle eligible and go out for passes...that would be sweet

This should be in the that's what she said thread OTW, in fact i am going to put it there!!!