Dan Williams rd 2?

billsfan_34

We may get some picks out of them, but how much value does whitner have who has been very unproductive. Lynch is a hiccup away from a year suspension and really lacks good vision on the field. Maybe if we packaged those two a 3 may be the best we get. Schoebel might command a 2 if a team feels its close to winning it all now and needs to bolster the pass rush. Great thoughts on those 3 guys.

I was thinking a 2nd for Schobel, and 3rds for Lynch and Whitner and maybe and additional 5th or 6th in one of the deals.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's already been established that Stroud isn't going to play NT. In fact, he's gone public in saying that he's excited about the prospect of playing LE in this scheme, and I think most would agree that he at least fits the prototype of this. What would be interesting to me is... how do the coaches plan on running this hybrid defense that we keep hearing about? Do they already have something in mind? Or are they going to wait until after the draft to mold this "hybrid" scheme around what players we DO have? It'll be an interesting offseason :doh:

well they say "hybrid" but it basically means - if we have personal for a 3-4 we will play it at times, and when tehy need a rest we'll use our 4-3 scheme to get other guys in. i can't imagine we will have the depth to play a 3-4 for an entire game. however, if we still have the likes of schobel and kelsay on the roster, it won't hurt to run a 4-3 nickel or dime in some passing situations.

this, i believe, is similar to what the phins did when they were in between. Taylor wasn't always an OLB, there were times he played the RDE in a 4-3. It will take 2-3 years before its a full blown 3-4. But I agree, just to start out in it, you need a true NT and Stroud is not the guy. In fact, he might be one heck of a 3-4 end. Hampton or someone in the draft should be the odds on favorite to start at NT. And I wouldn't be surprised if we wait on OL until rounds 3, 4 and 5. Lots of good OL come in the mid rounds and plenty of bad ones come in the first.

I was thinking a 2nd for Schobel, and 3rds for Lynch and Whitner and maybe and additional 5th or 6th in one of the deals.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Bills trade down for more picks. Moving up and losing picks I don't agree with.

Dealing Marshawn would create another need. We have too many needs as is.

Jackson is 30, look for him to experience some injuries as most older RB's do.

The Redskins are considering drafting a safety (Berry) very high. They are dissatisfied with the present group.

There is a Whitner trade opportunity here. Not sure what they would be willing to give up.

I would offer Whitner and a 6 for a 2 rounder.

Along with trading down this could potentially give us three 2nd round picks.

I like our O-line of Wood, Levitre, Incognito (hope they sign him to a three or four year deal!), Hangartner, & Bell. I think we're a good LT away from having a nice young, solid O-line for years to come, with another tackle and guard as developmental and backup purposes. Our D-front seven, though, is misfit and aging for the 3-4. We need two NT, and an OLB, and that is if Maybin is good at OLB. But, the DE prospects we have aren't guaranteed to work there, and they aren't young. So, if you want to have a front seven that is good and in place for four to six years, you're looking at two ends, two NT's, and two linebackers. So, considering backups, rotational players, etc., I think we're looking at adding two guys to our O-line this year, and we need like four to six guys in the front seven on D.

Considering the lopsided nature of our needs, I still think if we stay at 9 we go LT, because there is more quality depth on the D-line in this years draft. You could hopefully fix our O-line with one pick, whereas the D is going to take a bunch, and some FA's. That being said, if we trade down to the teens I think we grab the best NT and use our earliest next pick on a LT. Either way, I see us addressing the LT early, but gong D most of the rest of the way.

Optimistically, it's not unrealistic to think we can walk away with four starters from the draft and two to four starters via free agency, which, if they're the right positions, could field us a competitive team this year.

Hmmm Terrence Cody, there is some what ifs on him, battling weight, sprained knee etc... I am not sure this new regime can afford to take a chance. Time will tell though. I think your right, Dan Williams most likely wont fall to us as big Dt's are a hot commodity in the NFL now. But I have my fingers crossed.

Weight clause in his contract. And people are overthinking Cody. He was an absolutely stud on a national championship that was carried by their defense. Ted Washington had to be near 400 lbs at the end of his career. If Cody is there, you run to the podium. A d-line rotation of Stroud, Cody, Williams, Johnson sounds good to me.

I know his name has been bounced around here some. But I think if Dan Williams falls to rd 2 and hes there for us, its a no brainer. He is perfect for the 3-4. Thoughts?

only problem is hoping he lasts that long which is not a very realistic possibility. we may have to jump back into the later first round or at best in the first few picks in the second round.

the kid is a really good football player and there are only one or 2 true nose tackles in this draft. to bad cody is a fat slob and is not dedicated enough to keep his weight in check. the latest reports had him around 370 so that does not bode well for his dedication to the game.

think about it if this guy could get down to the 335 to 340 range he could be a monster. the fact that 8 weeks before the draft the idiot is 370 shows he is not very bright either seeing that its going to cost him a ton of money. taking him high and filling his pockets with big money would be a major risk for any team.

Weight clause in his contract. And people are overthinking Cody. He was an absolutely stud on a national championship that was carried by their defense. Ted Washington had to be near 400 lbs at the end of his career. If Cody is there, you run to the podium. A d-line rotation of Stroud, Cody, Williams, Johnson sounds good to me.

Your right, cody is a beast. But weight issues in the NFL are valid concerns. A weight clause is nice, I just dont think the Bills can afford a miss in the draft again. Time will tell, but one has to really be concerned for a guy who cant keep his weight managable.

UniversalDraft.com has us taking Willians at 9. Calls it "the first surprise pick of the draft", but says it outweighs the need for a LT because we have absolutely no-one who can play NT.

I hope we stick with the LT because there is a better choice of good players at the position. Haven't heard that Dan Williams is anything great. Anyone watch him at Tennessee.?

He certainly will be gone by our second pick and Cody wouldn't be worth the chance. Maybe another NT in the second, Cam Thomas of North Carolina, who had a good Senior Bowl.

Right here bannanathumb. Live in East Tennessee. Good run stuffer with some instincts but no way at #9 and no way he lasts to round 2 either. Would love to have him he but don't see him in a Bills uni next season.

Thanks, stranger. Just about what I figured.

I know his name has been bounced around here some. But I think if Dan Williams falls to rd 2 and hes there for us, its a no brainer. He is perfect for the 3-4. Thoughts?

I've been thinking that the Bills could potentially move out of the 9th spot down in the mid teens and grab Williams... But now with Butler retiring, I'm becoming more of a "draft and OT guy" in rd one... We shall see.. Don't think Williams will be there when our number is up in rd 2 though..... Cody would be a fine pick as well in rd 2 or even 3... someone always falls...

Your idea makes sense from the team's perspective, but there's no way in the world an agent lets his rookie draft pick sign a deal like that. You knew about his weight issue when you drafted him, you deal with it (at least that's what I'd say if I were the agent).

Your right, cody is a beast. But weight issues in the NFL are valid concerns. A weight clause is nice, I just dont think the Bills can afford a miss in the draft again. Time will tell, but one has to really be concerned for a guy who cant keep his weight managable.

He's a good player for sure, but the weight issue--for me at least--is all about whether or not he can stay on the field for more than 2 plays at a time. I need a guy that can give me a full series when he has to if I'm going to commit a top 40 pick to him.

Can anyone name a real talented NT who did eat himself out of the league. Memory fails me.

Gilbert Brown, Wendell Bryant, Ryan Sims, Travis Johnson, Dewayne Robertson, Corey Simon...they're out there.

Right here bannanathumb. Live in East Tennessee. Good run stuffer with some instincts but no way at #9 and no way he lasts to round 2 either. Would love to have him he but don't see him in a Bills uni next season.

Agreed. It's looking like a match made in heaven at No. 26 with Williams going to NT-needy Arizona.

I've been thinking that the Bills could potentially move out of the 9th spot down in the mid teens and grab Williams... But now with Butler retiring, I'm becoming more of a "draft and OT guy" in rd one... We shall see.. Don't think Williams will be there when our number is up in rd 2 though..... Cody would be a fine pick as well in rd 2 or even 3... someone always falls...

Trading out of the top 10 is very difficult these days. You need a lot of colliding circumstances for that to happen:

1) A player that somebody covets much greater than the others at his position, and that they can't get where they currently draft

2) A team that's willing to part with the draft picks/compensation required to move up

3) A team that's willing to fork over a top-10 signing bonus

4) Relative assurance that the team moving down won't get burned by the move and miss out on the guy(s) that they covet (this happened last year with New England and Eric Wood, according to SI's Peter King)

I just don't see Buffalo, who so desperately needs impact players, moving out of the 9 pick.

Agreed! No brainer...but like Okung falling to #9...not likely...

Let me dream though...

1rd = Okung

2rd = Williams

Ahh..back to reality