If you don't like this years crop of QB's..

DarthICE

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what is wrong with Mallet or Locker

here's one SR on Locker

Scouting Report: Locker certainly looks the part of an NFL franchise quarterback. He's got nice size, while not being so tall his footwork suffers. He's got great mechanics on his throws and does a very good job throwing on the run. But on the other side, Locker has some shortcomings to his game, that seem to show up more in some games, and less in others. He doesn't make great reads often locking onto wide outs, and his arm strength isn't where it needs to be. He doesn't put a lot of zip on his passes and is late making his throws, not showing good anticipation. Locker has a ton of upside that you can see in flashes during the season, and you have to think given time, he can become a great quarterback. This is really only Locker's first year in a pro style offense after playing the spread for his entire career, so you can see he's a work in progress.

Draft Status: If you want to know what I think his draft status is a top ten pick in the 2011 draft. This year, I think his athleticism and potential will make him a first round pick, but I don't think he should declare at all. At the start of the year, many pundits jumped on his bandwagon(I never did) and declared him the number one overall pick, but his game has regressed to the point, I can't see a scenario that he declares this year. Another year in that system will show whether or not he has the NFL potential he seems to display at times. Having said all that, if he bounces to the NFL next year, some team will fall in love with him in shorts and take him early, and then wonder how long it'll be until he is ready to play.

Final Analysis: I think Locker has a lot of the pieces that make a great NFL quarterback. His size, ability to escape the pocket, extend the play are huge pluses for him. He shows excellent poise and leadership and the ability to win with very little talent around him. But in terms of the basic fundamentals of the game, he's still behind some of the other quarterbacks in this draft. Faster reads, smarter reads, and working through his progressions needs work. And he has to get stronger. His short/medium throws need more heat on them and he must anticipate better.

Reminds me of: Kellen Clemmens, QB New York Jets-I do think Locker is going to be a much better player in the NFL than Clemmens, especially if he gets another year of college, but if you look at their skill sets in college both are very similar players. Clemmens never got a chance to work in a pro style offense in college and that really stunted his development. Locker has a chance to come back for a second year with coaches who've groomed NFL players and it would really help unleash the potential he has.

and here's one on mallet

Scouting Report: In this day and age, having a franchise quarterback is essential to winning a championship. Looking at Ryan Mallett you have see franchise quarterback. He's a giant kid, with a muscular build and a cocky smile. When you watch him play, you see a ton of potential, and all the physical tools you want to see. He's got a cannon for an arm, and throws the best deep ball of any quarterback in the nation. He's got command of the offense, does a great job with reads and checkdowns, and has supreme confidence. On the other hand, his footwork is shoddy, mainly from his height and he has lapses in judgment that cost his team dearly this year. Oh, and because of his size, he's got very little mobility, and while he isn't afraid to step up in the pocket and even stand in and take a hit to make a throw, he doesn't scramble well and hasn't really shown that he can work well in a designed rollout. Compared to the other quarterbacks in this group, he's easily got the most upside, but may need the most grooming. But keep in mind he's only a redshirt sophomore.

Draft Status: This is a tough call. I have a sneaky feeling Mallett declares this year, in hopes of an upcapped year, and before a rookie cap comes in for 2011. If he does, and he can work out well, there's no doubt some team will scoop him up in the first round based on his physical gifts and super high ceiling.

Final Analysis: I've been on Mallett's bandwagon all season, so I'm not hoping off now. He's steadily improved all year long, and has shown some serious flashes of the NFL potential he has. When he's in command of the offense and in rhythm, he can make any read and any throw on the field. He's got all the physical tools you could want, assuming you don't want a guy who can run. He is working out of an NFL style offense and does very well out of playaction. I think if Mallett can get on a team where he can sit behind a veteran for a year or two, he'll get the footwork issues sorted out, and just mature as a player. The sky is the limit for Mallett but in my opinion if he wants to maximize his NFL potential, he needs to get out now, because we all remember the NFL potential of Brian Brohm and Hunter Cantwell until too much Bobby Petrino can ruin it.

Reminds me of: Joe Flacco, QB Baltimore Ravens-Both are big tall, strong armed quarterbacks, and have similar strengths and weaknesses. Flacco had more college experience than Mallett but not against nearly as high a level of competition.

Don't sleep on Christian Ponder from FSU. The guy is going to be a good QB in this league. He can move, make all the throws, and most importantly, is extremely intelligent.

As for Locker, i trust the Draft committee's grades over anything some draftdouche like Kiper or McShay says.

Don't sleep on Christian Ponder from FSU. The guy is going to be a good QB in this league. He can move, make all the throws, and most importantly, is extremely intelligent.

As for Locker, i trust the Draft committee's grades over anything some draftdouche like Kiper or McShay says.

Pass on any Free shoes U QB's.

How do you figure next years draft is worse in the qb department? Locker is better than clausen and bradford combined. Plus you have possibly four qb's projected in the first round. How many are in the first round this year? Two?! Next year you have Jake Locker (Washington), Ryan Mallet (Arkansas), Terrelle Pryor (Ohio State), and Pat Devlin (Delaware), all of which are projected first round selections. Plus you have Chris Ponder out of FSU, who would be a very solid second round pick. I dont understand how 2011 will be a worse qb draft than this year, please explain. :rolleyes:

none of those guys is named Bradford - that china doll from Ice's Oklahoma

Next years really sucks....

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospec...ngs/TSX/2012_QB

Not one guy on there that is worthy of first round status. If we go LT or some other position in the first, we better hope Nix feels someone in the 2nd can get the job done or else we are screwed for a long time.

Sorry Ice but Mallett is the real deal I have been a fan of his since he signed at MI and was very upset that he left but I understand it was about playing in a pro style not spread. He is a big boy with a gun of an arm and if you watched any of the MI games he played as a freshman he showed huge upside.

Clausen is going to suck in the NFL so I hope we pass on him and Bradford my do well but not behind our OL.

Fix the OL first then then worry about a QB or get a QB get him killed and try again next year your choice.

Next years really sucks....

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospec...ngs/TSX/2012_QB

Not one guy on there that is worthy of first round status. If we go LT or some other position in the first, we better hope Nix feels someone in the 2nd can get the job done or else we are screwed for a long time.

we should just skip next years college season because Ice knows everything and knows that there will be no QB that will play great college ball in 2010

Pass on any Free shoes U QB's.

So, using your lahjik, we should avoid any and all OU QBS as well, because they've done jack squat in the NFL. So why is Bradford any better?

Never mind the fact that Ponder is working and has worked under an entirely different system than Bowden ran for all his years here.

Uh Ramius, based on your avatar (if only FSU could've stopped Tebow....ever) and location.....i am sure your recommendation of Ponder is solely on his skill-set and accomplishments. Care to list the number of quality wins he has at FSU? How about the number of victories he has led the noles to over florida? Boston College? Georgia Tech? Miami? If memory serves me, didn't Ponder lose to USF this last year....making the noles the 4th best team in Florida?

Uh Ramius, based on your avatar (if only FSU could've stopped Tebow....ever) and location.....i am sure your recommendation of Ponder is solely on his skill-set and accomplishments. Care to list the number of quality wins he has at FSU? How about the number of victories he has led the noles to over florida? Boston College? Georgia Tech? Miami? If memory serves me, didn't Ponder lose to USF this last year....making the noles the 4th best team in Florida?

So its Ponder's fault that FSU's defense was one of the worst in the nation? Ponder gave up 35+ points 5 times last season himself? Funny, Ponder got hurt this season and missed 3 games, yet still led the ACC in passing.

I'm not saying he's a sure fire bet to be a great NFL QB. But he does have the appropriate skill set to succeed at the next level. Because that's what you base a player's potential on, their skill set, not their ability to "win."

But, if you'd like, i can come up with a list over the past 2 seasons of last minute game winning drives he's had. I believe the number is 4 or 5 in that span.

So its Ponder's fault that FSU's defense was one of the worst in the nation? Ponder gave up 35+ points 5 times last season himself? Funny, Ponder got hurt this season and missed 3 games, yet still led the ACC in passing.

I'm not saying he's a sure fire bet to be a great NFL QB. But he does have the appropriate skill set to succeed at the next level. Because that's what you base a player's potential on, their skill set, not their ability to "win."

But, if you'd like, i can come up with a list over the past 2 seasons of last minute game winning drives he's had. I believe the number is 4 or 5 in that span.

Again, the teams i have named are decent teams...are you going to come back with last minute wins against middle of the pack or bottom feeder ACC teams? And in the losses to the teams i mentioned, go back and look at the box scores....throwing INTs has something to do with why the Nole defense gave up points.

Again, what is Ponder's signature win against a quality team? You guessed it, there isn't one.

Homerism, alive and well!

We'll get a veteran and a developmental guy.

http://nflmocks.com/2010/02/11/buffalo-bil...n-a-veteran-qb/

That's the route I would like to see the Bills go. I wouldn't take any of the projected first rounders this year *braces for DarthICE's outrage* and would be much happier with a guy to develop behind a veteran. Of course, there is always next year, which looks better with Locker and Mallett. :doh:

Again, the teams i have named are decent teams...are you going to come back with last minute wins against middle of the pack or bottom feeder ACC teams? And in the losses to the teams i mentioned, go back and look at the box scores....throwing INTs has something to do with why the Nole defense gave up points.

Again, what is Ponder's signature win against a quality team? You guessed it, there isn't one.

Homerism, alive and well!

Oh, so Ponder's 7 total INT's this season were the reason our defense was ranked something like 108th in the nation? The noles defense gave up 35 or more points in 5 games this year, and all of those were from ponder's 7 interceptions? Is it Ponder's fault Jarmon Fortson dropped the winning TD against miami? Is it Ponder's fault that our defense allowed 49 points against GT, in a game where he threw for over 400 yards and put 44 points up?

This isn't college basketball. There's no such thing as a "signature win." But i suppose, in your simpleton distorted world, Ponder could toss 5 int's against UF but have our defense pitch a shutout, and score a TD for a 7-0 win. Would that count as a "signature win" for Ponder?

Rating a college QB on wins and losses is asinine, especially when said QB led his conference in passing. You must simply be a pissed off gator fan, pissed that alabama whooped your ass and made your pansy B word QB cry like a girl on the sidelines. That would explain your severe irrationality against Ponder.