John DiGiorgio

Coach55

What is his status? Last year he was let go after failing a physical on a surgically repaired knee. Prior to that, he was a gamer. Although small, he may be a good ILB in a 3-4 defense (even if only a reserve). Does anyone know if he has any chance of returning this year?

He's a very smart player, always knowing where to be on the field. I don't know if with his current seize he could make the transition to the 3-4. Problem with the Tampon2 we ran he was always covering deep and more often than not he was ran over by RBs, same as our safeties.

I don't think he will be in the plans of Edwards, not at his current weight.

It's not delivery...It's DIGIORGIO!

Was it Al Michaels that said that on MNF against the Cowboys a few years back?

I remember Michael Irvin or someone trying to pull that line off later and got all excited and chanted, "It's not pizza, it's Digiorgio!" and then all the other fellas started razzin' on him. HILLARIOUS.

To answer the OP, I have a friend that is pretty close with DiGiorgio, and last I heard (this was during the fall) he had no plans to give up football. He's no longer on Buffalo's roster, having reached an injury settlement, and I'd imagine he'll get workouts from a few teams with a need for LB depth and ST help.

I'm supposed to see my friend this weekend, and I'll try to remember to ask for an update...

I remember Michael Irvin or someone trying to pull that line off later and got all excited and chanted, "It's not pizza, it's Digiorgio!" and then all the other fellas started razzin' on him. HILLARIOUS.

It was Tony Kornheiser who came up with the line. It was probably Emmitt Smith who tried to say it again.

John D was put on injured reserve and released last season. His knee injury was pretty brutal. He was a good player. It shows that most players deserve all the money they get, because their careers can be over in an instant. Hopefully he finds success after football.

I think we need to think bigger than DiGiorgio. Let's stop talking about 3rd stringers. How about bonafide, starting, headhunting, foaming at the mouth LBs that destroy anything that moves.

I believe we already have our starters. I would love to see Peppers or Porter though. If Schobel retires we will probably need a starter.

Poz? Mitchell? Ellison???

Mitchell would pass the litmus test on the inside. The other two, no way. Poz and Ellison can be backup outside LBs in a 4-3 for a few teams.

We need 3 more starters (Kelsay, Ellis, Maybin?). Schobel could, but I'd be shocked if he plays with the Bills next year. If I were the HC, I would not give Schobel any special priveleges... 1) some degree of respect is lost among some teamates, 2) You open that door and everyone else want to pass through, 3) can't be two standards... one for Schobel and one for the rest of the team.

Still need at least two more LBs on the inside and two LBs on the outside.