Doug Whaley

It's not change if 2 in-house candidates were interviewed for the most critical front office job. It doesn't matter to far too many fans that Nix has not handled day to day ops for a NFL team, nor that the other guy interviewed was ultimately fired. This was the big house-cleaning?

And don't forget, RW's chief adviser is a non-football guy with authority over all team operations. He couldn't get it done as quasi-GM, but received a promotion when it became evident they needed a real football guy? This is a restructuring with the same old people. I'd like for someone to explain to me what made it unnecessary to interview qualified candidates from other teams? What was Smithers afraid of? Someone criticizing their methods?

BillsVet, while the executive search was going on, I opined that the Bills should enlist Ernie Accorsi or Ron Wolf to run the search. I also posted several times that Charlie Casserly and Floyd Reese should be interviewed for the then-vacant GM position.

That said, just because Buddy Nix was promoted from in-house doesn't make him a bad hire. Bill Polian was an in-house hire. Nix is certainly more prepared from an experience standpoint to be a successful GM than Polian was at the time of his promotion. I thought from the very beginning that Nix was a consumate football guy with good character and ability. He should do just fine.

On another one of your points, I agree that the attitude/culture of an organization usually starts at the top but seeing as Ralph is almost never in the building, the tone can be set by the mid and upper level managers...people such as Buddy Nix, Doug Whaley, and Chan Gailey. I've worked in many companies where the striving for excellence at the lower levels, exceeded that at the higher levels.

Mike Brown, Billy Bidwell, Tom Benson and their ilk didn't suddenly become great owners. They made good hires for their football departments.

I think Ralph is a bumbling fool but I also believe that the organization can transcend his ownership. I'm not starry-eyed, naive, or idealistic. I'm too old for that. But I'm fairly optimistic about the direction of this team.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BillsVet, while the executive search was going on, I opined that the Bills should enlist Ernie Accorsi or Ron Wolf to run the search. I also posted several times that Charlie Casserly and Floyd Reese should be interviewed for the then-vacant GM position.

That said, just because Buddy Nix was promoted from in-house doesn't make him a bad hire. Bill Polian was an in-house hire. Nix is certainly more prepared from an experience standpoint to be a successful GM than Polian was at the time of his promotion. I thought from the very beginning that Nix was a consumate football guy with good character and ability. He should do just fine.

On another one of your points, I agree that the attitude/culture of an organization usually starts at the top but seeing as Ralph is almost never in the building, the tone can be set by the mid and upper level managers...people such as Buddy Nix, Doug Whaley, and Chan Gailey. I've worked in many companies where the striving for excellence at the lower levels, exceeded that at the higher levels.

Mike Brown, Billy Bidwell, Tom Benson and their ilk didn't suddenly become great owners. They made good hires for their football departments.

I think Ralph is a bumbling fool but I also believe that the organization can transcend his ownership. I'm not starry-eyed, naive, or idealistic. I'm too old for that. But I'm fairly optimistic about the direction of this team.

Good Takes keep'em coming. :wallbash: