Bills will be making a major move at QB

Albany,n.y.

Albany, Your point about this miserable organization not being able to secure a legitimate franchise qb is vaild. But you are missing the real point. This organization is horrible at talent evaluation in general. When was the last time the Bills had a competent OL? Was bringing in Dockery and Langston Walker at a premium price very smart? Of course not. Not acquiring an impact qb for a generation is a reflection of an incompetent front office and organization. That is where the real problem lies.

There are a variety of ways to fill needs. This is an era of free agency where there is constant player movement. The Raiders made the SB with Rich Gannon. How about the 49ers being able to get Jeff Garcia after he played for a variety of teams and in Canada? St. Louis and Arizona got to the SB with Kurt Warner, who previously played in the Arena league. David Garrard was not a high draft pick, yet he played at a high level for Jacksonville. Rodgers of the Packers was a low first round pick, Brees was a San Diego second round pick and he ended up with the Saints through free agency. The Dolphins got their probable franchise qb, Henne, in the second round.

I'm much more confident with Buddy Nix being our primary talent evaluator and selector. If he feels that there is a worthy franchise qb in the draft when his first pick comes up then he should pick a qb. If, however, he doesn't feel that the qb left on the board is the caliber of player he wants then he should not reach, just address another need. There are so many needs that taking the highest rated player for us is the best approach to take.

The Bills are YEARS away from being a playoff team. The goofy owner squandered years of development by the odd hiring of Levy and then having him replaced with Brandon, the marketing guru. If the owner would have used some common sense and brought in the best football GM person to replace Donahoe the team building process would be much more advanced.

The Bills have been a failed franchise for a long time because of the exceedingly bad decisions made by the clueless owner. If he would have made credible hires in the most critical positions this organization wouldn't be considered the Raiders of the east.

The more I see what Buddy Nix is doing the more I like it. He has a plan and a vision and he is executing that plan. Hiring Whaley from the Steelers is a statement in itself that the organization is going to have a certain identity and philosophy. If Buddy Nix is allowed to do his work then there is some hope that the Bills can become a relevant francise again.

what he said......

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Albany, Your point about this miserable organization not being able to secure a legitimate franchise qb is vaild. But you are missing the real point. This organization is horrible at talent evaluation in general. When was the last time the Bills had a competent OL? Was bringing in Dockery and Langston Walker at a premium price very smart? Of course not. Not acquiring an impact qb for a generation is a reflection of an incompetent front office and organization. That is where the real problem lies.

There are a variety of ways to fill needs. This is an era of free agency where there is constant player movement. The Raiders made the SB with Rich Gannon. How about the 49ers being able to get Jeff Garcia after he played for a variety of teams and in Canada? St. Louis and Arizona got to the SB with Kurt Warner, who previously played in the Arena league. David Garrard was not a high draft pick, yet he played at a high level for Jacksonville. Rodgers of the Packers was a low first round pick, Brees was a San Diego second round pick and he ended up with the Saints through free agency. The Dolphins got their probable franchise qb, Henne, in the second round.

I'm much more confident with Buddy Nix being our primary talent evaluator and selector. If he feels that there is a worthy franchise qb in the draft when his first pick comes up then he should pick a qb. If, however, he doesn't feel that the qb left on the board is the caliber of player he wants then he should not reach, just address another need. There are so many needs that taking the highest rated player for us is the best approach to take.

The Bills are YEARS away from being a playoff team. The goofy owner squandered years of development by the odd hiring of Levy and then having him replaced with Brandon, the marketing guru. If the owner would have used some common sense and brought in the best football GM person to replace Donahoe the team building process would be much more advanced.

The Bills have been a failed franchise for a long time because of the exceedingly bad decisions made by the clueless owner. If he would have made credible hires in the most critical positions this organization wouldn't be considered the Raiders of the east.

The more I see what Buddy Nix is doing the more I like it. He has a plan and a vision and he is executing that plan. Hiring Whaley from the Steelers is a statement in itself that the organization is going to have a certain identity and philosophy. If Buddy Nix is allowed to do his work then there is some hope that the Bills can become a relevant francise again.

Good post, I also have some hope in Buddy Nix. I also hope RW stays out of the football decisions and lets him turn this ship around.

While I appreciate the effort and don't disagree with the assertion, that process is the same for every position on the team. I don't think the Bills are special in their process. It does stress how important the QB position is. It also stresses how much of a crapshoot it is. We gave up a lot of high picks for guys like Hobert, Johnson, Losman, Edwards, etc...

Maybe you draft a QB every year and hope you get lucky.

If we go rookie qb , we will have a losing record for at least the next two seasons. who wants that? not me. get garcia, campbell, someone who knows the league

First off, excellent post.

Secondly, I too am curious as to who you think we should bring in? I am a firm believer in giving almost the kitchen sink to get McNabb here, my second choice would probably be Troy Smith though. He has looked decent at times and was the starter over Flacco in training camp until he got injured. I think he may be worth a 3rd or 4th round pick.

I also think if we could get a good LT with our 1st pick, I believe Jake Delhomme would be another guy we could possibly get cheap to fill in for a year or 2. Draft maybe Lefevour or Tony Pike later in the draft to sit behind him for a year, and let Brohm and the rookie battle it out for #2 and eventual #1.

Not a bad idea at all.

If we go rookie qb , we will have a losing record for at least the next two seasons. who wants that? not me. get garcia, campbell, someone who knows the league

Just like Baltimore, Atlanta & the Jets in the last 2 seasons, right? The right rookie QB can win-even Trent Edwards was above 500 in his rookie starts.

The whole key is the right rookie, not just any rookie to satisfy the masses. That's why, if the Bills have a strong belief in either Bradford or Clausen they have to do whatever is necessary to get the guy they want-including trading way up at whatever the cost. They can't just sit back & hope the player falls into their laps. They can't afford to pull something like 2004, lose the one they want & settle for a lesser talent just because they have an agenda to acquire a rookie QB. The best example I can come up with is 1991. The Jets loved Bret Favre but didn't have a 1st round pick. They tried desperately to trade up for Favre. They didn't offer enough & decided to try to sit, wait & hope. One pick before their spot in the 2nd round, Atlanta drafted Favre. The Jets, sticking to their agenda, went with the next QB on their board-Browning Nagle.

If the Bills can't get a top rookie QB, they're better off with a stopgap guy-unless McNabb or Kolb is available for less than a 2010 1st. Just drafting a QB this year, because you want to draft any QB this year is ridiculous if the right guy isn't there.

Just like Baltimore, Atlanta & the Jets in the last 2 seasons, right? The right rookie QB can win-even Trent Edwards was above 500 in his rookie starts.

The whole key is the right rookie, not just any rookie to satisfy the masses.

You've left out the coaching aspect. BAL and ATL last season along with NYJ this season minimized their rookie QB's weaknesses and had strong running games to take pressure off the young signal callers. That was no coincidence.

To simplify it down to the "right rookie" leaves out how important it is to use them correctly. The Jets ran for 170 ypg this season, and ATL had Michael Turner running 20-25 times in 2008. Likewise, BAL has always been good on the ground, and now has an emerging star at RB in Ray Rice.

Every single rookie QB has growing pains. It's a matter of coaching around them and once again putting them in a position to succeed. All three of those teams also had outstanding OL's to help set that rookie up for success.

You've left out the coaching aspect. BAL and ATL last season along with NYJ this season minimized their rookie QB's weaknesses and had strong running games to take pressure off the young signal callers. That was no coincidence.

To simplify it down to the "right rookie" leaves out how important it is to use them correctly. The Jets ran for 170 ypg this season, and ATL had Michael Turner running 20-25 times in 2008. Likewise, BAL has always been good on the ground, and now has an emerging star at RB in Ray Rice.

Every single rookie QB has growing pains. It's a matter of coaching around them and once again putting them in a position to succeed. All three of those teams also had outstanding OL's to help set that rookie up for success.

No worries. The Bills can just draft an experienced veteran like Peyton Manning. :unsure:

No worries. The Bills can just draft an experienced veteran like Peyton Manning. :unsure:

Nope, none at all. Finding QB's is just being lucky, much like most of the Bills pursuits nowadays. Just ask Bill Polian, he totally lucked into taking Peyton in 1998 over Ryan Leaf. The draft is a big crap-shoot, and if Buffalo fails, it's being unlucky.