EAGLES FLY with NEW GM

shoretalk

Why oh why can't we be like other teams when we choose our General Managers?

Why oh why do we have to promote from within a guy who has been involved with drafting numerous Pro-Bowl players and who has a life time of experience scouting and recommending top college talent?

Why oh why did we have to pick a guy who has been part of winning organizations (plural not singular) while playing a key role in the drafts that built the teams?

And, why oh why did we choose a plain speaking guy who is willing to criticize past decisions about the drafting of 'one year wonders?'

And, did we have to pick a guy with southern accent who sounds like he just came out of the woods?

We could have made the choice the Philadelphia Eagles have made for their new GM ... Howie Roseman (even that first name rings with football authority .. Howie ...).

Roseman is young not old - He is 34 years old

He has not wasted his years away on college campuses scouting players and talking with college coaches but instead he is an expert in the SALARY CAP.

He is a lawyer so no 'off-th-cuff' remarks down in Philadelphia and he sounds smart.

He was promoted from within the Eagles organization and never wasted any time working for some other team to learn how other teams general managers work. No need for wasted time trying to take credit for work others might have done and Howie (boy that name resonates football) has never been allegedly fired from some other team.

And, Howie is not going to be critical of his team.

There is no doubt in my mind that all of the Buddy critics right now are wishing that the Bills could have made the type of decision that BIG CITY PHILLY has made with their team. In fact a quote in today's Philadelphia Inquirer says that the Eagles even "interviewed a couple of other fellows" before staying in-house with Howie.

So, Buffalo Bills' fans ... the NFL has these two new general managers before the month of January has disappeared.

We got Buddy with all that scouting baggage ... blunt talk loaded with a southern accent ... experience working for the likes of Polian and Butler and for several winning teams ... and he is OLD ... my goodness he is almost as old as Ronald Reagan was when Reagan was President.

The Eagles have a young lawyer who is really well spoken, team oriented and who knows all about the salary cap.

Which one would you have chosen if we had had a shot at young HOWIE?

All those Buddy critics here's your chance to cheer for a new team and they already have McNabb, Vick, and Jason Peters so go for it my friends.

As for me ... GO BILLS!

Why oh why do we have to promote from within a guy who has been involved with drafting numerous Pro-Bowl players and who has a life time of experience scouting and recommending top college talent?

Why oh why did we have to pick a guy who has been part of winning organizations (plural not singular) while playing a key role in the drafts that built the teams?

And, why oh why did we choose a plain speaking guy who is willing to criticize past decisions about the drafting of 'one year wonders?'

And, did we have to pick a guy with southern accent who sounds like he just came out of the woods?

We could have made the choice the Philadelphia Eagles have made for their new GM ... Howie Roseman (even that first name rings with football authority .. Howie ...).

He has not wasted his years away on college campuses scouting players and talking with college coaches but instead he is an expert in the SALARY CAP.

He is a lawyer so no 'off-th-cuff' remarks down in Philadelphia and he sounds smart.

He was promoted from within the Eagles organization and never wasted any time working for some other team to learn how other teams general managers work. No need for wasted time trying to take credit for work others might have done and Howie (boy that name resonates football) has never been allegedly fired from some other team.

There is no doubt in my mind that all of the Buddy critics right now are wishing that the Bills could have made the type of decision that BIG CITY PHILLY has made with their team. In fact a quote in today's Philadelphia Inquirer says that the Eagles even "interviewed a couple of other fellows" before staying in-house with Howie.

So, Buffalo Bills' fans ... the NFL has these two new general managers before the month of January has disappeared.

We got Buddy with all that scouting baggage ... blunt talk loaded with a southern accent ... experience working for the likes of Polian and Butler and for several winning teams ... and he is OLD ... my goodness he is almost as old as Ronald Reagan was when Reagan was President.

The Eagles have a young lawyer who is really well spoken, team oriented and who knows all about the salary cap.

All those Buddy critics here's your chance to cheer for a new team and they already have McNabb, Vick, and Jason Peters so go for it my friends.

As for me ... GO BILLS!

Oh please. I would think Philly would get the benefit of the doubt since they have been run, oh what, say........100 times better than us the last ten years.

The Bills haven't earned a bit of trust yet. Not even close. They deserve everything they get, until they show any kind of competence which will hopefully be soon.

As for me ... GO BILLS!

:beer::thumbsup:

Shore Talk, that is some top notch sarcasm. I had to read your post carefully to figure out where you're coming from. Well done and a nice jab at all the DOOMsayers. Give the guy a chance is my philosophy. Buddy can sound like Martha Stewart for all I care if he can do the job. Go Bills.

If you knew anything about the Eagles, it's that Andy Reid has personnel control. He had it when Tom Heckert (now GM in Cleveland for Mike Holmgren) served in the role Roseman was promoted to. And Andy Reid has had far more hits than misses in his 11 drafts there.

Track record means nothing to too many mindless posters here. The Eagles won 103 regular season games from 2000-09, Buffalo a mere 66. So go ahead and attack Philadelphia for promoting from within, because it ain't the same as when Buffalo does it.

As for me ... GO BILLS!

The first thing you are forgetting to acknowledge is that Buffalo didnt hire a GM they hired a GM of Football operations. The only thing he has to know about is football. Contracts and Salary cap and Marketing will be done by the CEO Russ Brandon.

The first thing you are forgetting to acknowledge is that Buffalo didnt hire a GM they hired a GM of Football operations. The only thing he has to know about is football. Contracts and Salary cap and Marketing will be done by the CEO Russ Brandon.

The role of GM should always be about football - these other things are secondary.

If you knew anything about the Eagles, it's that Andy Reid has personnel control. He had it when Tom Heckert (now GM in Cleveland for Mike Holmgren) served in the role Roseman was promoted to. And Andy Reid has had far more hits than misses in his 11 drafts there.

Track record means nothing to too many mindless posters here. The Eagles won 103 regular season games from 2000-09, Buffalo a mere 66. So go ahead and attack Philadelphia for promoting from within, because it ain't the same as when Buffalo does it.

:beer: I am not naive about the Eagles and who runs that team ... ahh the joy of trying to inject a little sarcastic perspective for the critics of the Buddy hire. I wonder what you would have said if the Bills had hired 'Howie' as our next general manager? Would you have been so enthusiastic that we 'stole' this young lawyer from Philly's winning tradition or would you be ripping the Bills for not picking an experienced football pro to be in charge of the football operations.

"Howie" could very well be football's answer to the Sox' 'Theo Epstein' but my point is ... I want a football guy running my football operations and I want the Bills' Nation to see that the Eagles picked someone that I don't think any one of us would want in the GM job in Buffalo. "Howie" might know contracts but I say leave the contracts to Russ and let Buddy run the football operation ...

Reid interviewed two other individuals both from inside the Eagles' organization one of whom, Louis Riddick, allowed Philly to meet the Rooney Rule requirements. But voices in Philadelphia wanted more ... Phil Sheridan in today's Philadelphia Inquirer writes, "What the Eagles missed here was an opportunity to hear some voices from outside the NovaCare Complex bubble. Why not interview a couple of bright candidates with insight into how other winning teams - the Colts and Saints and Patriots and Chargers - do things? Why not get a critique of your roster and your schemes and your methods from someone who hasn't been breathing the same air as you for the past decade?" http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/2010...th_Roseman.html

Wait, I think he wrote "the Chargers" ... didn't we just get a gm from "the Chargers" ... oh never mind too many voices in the Bills' Nation already know that Buddy's football knowledge and experience only mean more doom and gloom. Thank goodness not all of our glasses have a huge hole at the bottom.

But the last name, Roseman, sounds like Rosen, and we all know anyone with the last name of Rosen is bad news. Look for reports their servers going down on Draft Day.

As for me ... GO BILLS!

Why oh why can't the Bills make the playoffs....

Sorry, it just got a little corny after the second "why oh why".

:beer: I am not naive about the Eagles and who runs that team ... ahh the joy of trying to inject a little sarcastic perspective for the critics of the Buddy hire. I wonder what you would have said if the Bills had hired 'Howie' as our next general manager? Would you have been so enthusiastic that we 'stole' this young lawyer from Philly's winning tradition or would you be ripping the Bills for not picking an experienced football pro to be in charge of the football operations.

Buffalo does not consider outside candidates for the big jobs at OBD and therefore Roseman wouldn't have been considered. :thumbsup: Really, TD was the last outside hire in management this decade.

Philly doesn't need a total rebuild like Buffalo does. They need some pieces, but they're a playoff team the last two seasons and to compare and contrast both franchises is an exercise in futility. Unlike Jeffrey Lurie, we know the Bills owner will immerse himself, despite a terrible track record in picking players, front office people, and HC's, into all facets of football. It's for this reason that I can't slam the Eagles as much but will criticize the Bills.

Reid did interview other in-house candidates, but he's still in charge. The management side of the house is changing in the NFL, and having someone who understands the cap and legal stuff seems to be a somewhat growing trend. The Jets have Mike Tannenbaum as their GM, who isn't a classically trained football guy; he's a lawyer who came up on the cap side of the house. After all, I can't imagine many teams had capologists 10-15 years ago, but now they're a staple of front offices. Roseman holds the title of GM, but it's not in the way of what we think of. He'll handle the non-personnel duties and focus on cap stuff.

All along, I've made the point that people do not reach the pinnacle of their career at 70 and there's more to this GM thing than simply scouting players. Too many people here forget that Nix was not involved in day to day decisions when he was "Assistant GM" in San Diego and lived 2000 miles from team HQ. Now, he'll be in the middle of day to day decisions, that is, if Smithers and Burns will let him.

We got Buddy with all that scouting baggage ... blunt talk loaded with a southern accent ... experience working for the likes of Polian and Butler and for several winning teams ... and he is OLD ... my goodness he is almost AS OLD AS RONALD REAGAN was when Reagan was President.

As for me ... GO BILLS!

reagan was demented