QB of the Future?

PDaDdy

In a bunch of different threads people are heatedly discussing our first round draft pick, #9 overall, and whether to draft a LT to protect a QB or to draft our "QB of the future". When the point that a QB of the future's growth and development could be ruined because we don't have an offensive line to protect him people almost unanimously say let the QB of the future sit for a year or two.

My thought is this. If we are only draft our QB of the future to sit the bench for a year or two....why draft him in the first round. IMO a #9 pick QB is a guy that is ready to and SHOULD start now. You don't draft and pay #9 money to a guy that needs to ride pine for a while do to inability to start or quite litteraly fear for his safety.

If the answer is get our QB of the future now and let him sit...we may as well get a project at QB that will be ready to start when the O-line is ready to protect him and aid his development not stunt his growth. I'm just throwing a name out there but "pre-combine" a guy that could be had out side the first 2 rounds is Jevan Snead. I'm am no college football guru but he has a few things that can't be taught like size, mobility and a cannon for an arm.

Thoughts? What other QBs might fit this mold of a later draft pick, mobile, physical, big armed QB that could be groomed in a year or 2 to start? And please, just because a QB has a big arm and is mobile DOESN'T make him JP Losman. He was a reach for a first round pick and we all know how that worked out.

In a bunch of different threads people are heatedly discussing our first round draft pick, #9 overall, and whether to draft a LT to protect a QB or to draft our "QB of the future". When the point that a QB of the future's growth and development could be ruined because we don't have an offensive line to protect him people almost unanimously say let the QB of the future sit for a year or two.

My thought is this. If we are only draft our QB of the future to sit the bench for a year or two....why draft him in the first round. IMO a #9 pick QB is a guy that is ready to and SHOULD start now. You don't draft and pay #9 money to a guy that needs to ride pine for a while do to inability to start or quite litteraly fear for his safety.

If the answer is get our QB of the future now and let him sit...we may as well get a project at QB that will be ready to start when the O-line is ready to protect him and aid his development not stunt his growth. I'm just throwing a name out there but "pre-combine" a guy that could be had out side the first 2 rounds is Jevan Snead. I'm am no college football guru but he has a few things that can't be taught like size, mobility and a cannon for an arm.

Thoughts? What other QBs might fit this mold of a later draft pick, mobile, physical, big armed QB that could be groomed in a year or 2 to start? And please, just because a QB has a big arm and is mobile DOESN'T make him JP Losman. He was a reach for a first round pick and we all know how that worked out.

The reason for drafting him in the first round is that he has first round talent. We could wait and develop third round talent as we did with Trent, or where JP should have been drafted. Granted there are exceptions to that logic, ie Tom Brady. But those finds are few and far between.

We do need to get a top flight QB that we can mold for the future. That way when our line gels over the course of two to three years then our 1st round talent comes in and plays like 1st round talent, standing up because he has a good line to protect him. JMO

The reason for drafting him in the first round is that he has first round talent. We could wait and develop third round talent as we did with Trent, or where JP should have been drafted. Granted there are exceptions to that logic, ie Tom Brady. But those finds are few and far between.

We do need to get a top flight QB that we can mold for the future. That way when our line gels over the course of two to three years then our 1st round talent comes in and plays like 1st round talent, standing up because he has a good line to protect him. JMO

I understand the desire to get the QB of the future ASAP. If we had a great offensive line or at least an average one I would agree with you. Problem is that due to youth or lack of talent our offensive line stinks right now.

Help me out with this because I really don't know the answer but....what QB chosen in the top 9 picks in the last 10 years hasn't started by years end? The only guy I can think of is Phillip Rivers and that is only because San Diego had Drew Brees, a great o-line and LT and couldn't trade out of the spot so they had to take Eli who became Rivers.

With our first pick we should select the best O-Tackle available. Second round pick should be a defensive front 7 player. Our 3rd pick should be a QB. If Pike isn't selected by that point, we should absolutely pull the trigger. If not him I say go for LaFeavour from Central Michigan. If neither are available, take another player for the defensive front 7. The rounds from there on out should be best player available, no matter what the position.

Our 3rd pick should be a QB. If Pike isn't selected by that point, we should absolutely pull the trigger. If not him I say go for LaFeavour from Central Michigan.

I'd take LeFevour over Pike. But looking like LeFevour will be gone in 2nd round, unless his stock drops.

I think if Clausen does happen to be available at #9, def take him. Otherwise, take OT, prob Davis or Bulaga.

I've heard the Leflour name a lot but I don't know if it just the same poster campaigning for him or if he is a popular dark horse candidate. Whoever we get for the future better have balls, brains and a big arm. I am tired of trying to get production out of QBs that are severely lacking in one or more of those categories. If you have brains but not experience you can still fit the bill. No pun intended.

Kelly Holcomb had brains and balls but no big arm

JP had balls and big arm to spare but had no brains.

Trent had brains, we thought, but found out he had no balls and no big arm.

Fitzpatrick had some balls and some brains but no big arm

Brohm...."incomplete" because he wasn't given a long enough look to know anything.

All we need is a guy that has those 3 qualities. The more polished the guy is the earlier you have to draft him. Who out there has those 3 qualities and can be taught and gain experience?

I say pick up one of the top LTs in either Davis or Bulaga

2nd round should be either a NT or LB

3rd round should... TONY PIKE!

sounds good (if can't get LeFevour), but still need a QB from free agency.

I say McNabb, or Troy Smith. I'm liking the idea of Troy Smith more & more, sounds like good upside, and won't cost too much, we'd still have our top 3 picks.

I brought this up in a poll I started a couple days ago. I think Troy Smith would be a great FA QB pickup for us. I wouldn't have a problem giving up a 3rd round pick or even possibly a 2nd round pick. This guy was a 1st round pick and but for some bad luck would be Baltimore's starter. He also won a Heisman which truthfully doesn't mean much to me but it is an accolade that can't be ignored.

I'm liking the idea of Troy Smith more & more, sounds like good upside, and won't cost too much, we'd still have our top 3 picks.

Great. So we go into 2010 with 3 inexperienced/not very good QBs. This would make the 6th year in a row of doing this. I'd rather go with a FA or trade that has played and had some success on the NFL level. I'm tired of baby sitting snot nose rookie QBs! If we really have a chance to get McNabb or Orton or Todd Collins or Chad Pennington, just do it for cryin' out loud.

If we really have a chance to get McNabb or Orton or Todd Collins or Chad Pennington, just do it for cryin' out loud.

McNabb yes, but the rest of them over a cheap young QB w/ potential ? esp orton, c'mon. At least Troy Smith could run, when we get blitzed, heh

I brought this up in a poll I started a couple days ago. I think Troy Smith would be a great FA QB pickup for us. I wouldn't have a problem giving up a 3rd round pick or even possibly a 2nd round pick. This guy was a 1st round pick and but for some bad luck would be Baltimore's starter. He also won a Heisman which truthfully doesn't mean much to me but it is an accolade that can't be ignored.

Are you sure that Troy Smith was a 1st round pick? I think it was more like the 5th round, but I could be wrong.